OREMUS: 16 November 2006

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Thu Nov 16 01:21:31 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, November 16, 2006
Margaret, Queen of Scotland, Philanthropist, Reformer of the Church, 1093

Blessed are you, ever-living God,
you inscribe our names in your book of life
so that we may share the firstfruits of salvation.
You protect the widows and strangers,
the oppressed and forgotten,
and feed the hungry with good things.
You stand among us in Christ, offering life to all.
You call us to respond with open hearts and minds to the world,
caring for those for whom you care.
For these and all your mercies, we praise you: Father, Son and Holy Spirit:

I will bless the Lord at all times;*
  his praise shall ever be in my mouth.
I will glory in the Lord;*
  let the humble hear and rejoice.
Proclaim with me the greatness of the Lord;*
  let us exalt his name together.
I sought the Lord and he answered me*
  and delivered me out of all my terror.
Look upon him and be radiant,*
  and let not your faces be ashamed.
I called in my affliction and the Lord heard me*
  and saved me from all my troubles.
The angel of the Lord
    encompasses those who fear him,*
  and he will deliver them.
Taste and see that the Lord is good;*
  happy are they who trust in him!
Fear the Lord, you that are his saints,*
  for those who fear him lack nothing.
The young lions lack and suffer hunger,*
  but those who seek the Lord
    lack nothing that is good.
Come, children, and listen to me;*
  I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Who among you loves life*
  and desires long life to enjoy prosperity?
Keep your tongue from evil-speaking*
  and your lips from lying words.
Turn from evil and do good;*
  seek peace and pursue it.
The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous,*
  and his ears are open to their cry.
The face of the Lord is against those who do evil,*
  to root out the remembrance of them from the earth.
The righteous cry and the Lord hears them*
  and delivers them from all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted*
  and will save those whose spirits are crushed.
Many are the troubles of the righteous,*
  but the Lord will deliver him out of them all.
He will keep safe all his bones;*
  not one of them shall be broken.
Evil shall slay the wicked,*
  and those who hate the righteous will be punished.
The Lord ransoms the life of his servants,*
  and none will be punished who trust in him.

A Song of the Holy City (Revelation 21:1-5a)

I saw a new heaven and a new earth,
for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away
and the sea was no more.

And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem,
coming down out of heaven from God,
prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

And I heard a great voice from the throne saying,
'Behold, my dwelling is with my people.

'I will dwell with them and they shall be mine,
and I myself will be with them.

'I will wipe away every tear from their eyes,
and death shall be no more.

'Neither shall there be mourning,
nor crying, nor pain any more,
for the former things have passed away.'

And the One who sat upon the throne said,
'Behold, I make all things new.'

  you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [1 Samuel 1:21-28]:

The man Elkanah and all his household went up to offer to the Lord the
yearly sacrifice, and to pay his vow. But Hannah did not go up, for she
said to her husband, 'As soon as the child is weaned, I will bring him,
that he may appear in the presence of the Lord, and remain there for ever;
I will offer him as a nazirite for all time.' Her husband Elkanah said to
her, 'Do what seems best to you, wait until you have weaned him; only may
the Lord establish his word.' So the woman remained and nursed her son,
until she weaned him. When she had weaned him, she took him up with her,
along with a three-year-old bull, an ephah of flour, and a skin of wine.
She brought him to the house of the Lord at Shiloh; and the child was
young. Then they slaughtered the bull, and they brought the child to Eli.
And she said, 'Oh, my lord! As you live, my lord, I am the woman who was
standing here in your presence, praying to the Lord. For this child I
prayed; and the Lord has granted me the petition that I made to him.
Therefore I have lent him to the Lord; as long as he lives, he is given to
the Lord.'

She left him there for the Lord.

HYMN
Words: Frederick William Faber, 1849
Tune: St. Catherine

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f006.html

Faith of our fathers! living still
in spite of dungeon, fire, and sword:
O how our hearts beat high with joy,
whene'er we hear that glorious word:
Refrain:
Faith of our fathers, holy faith!
We will be true to thee till death.

Faith of our fathers! faith and prayer
shall win all nations unto thee;
and through the truth that comes from God,
mankind shall then indeed be free. Refrain

Faith of our fathers! we will love
both friend and foe in all our strife:
and preach thee, too, as love knows how,
by kindly deeds and virtuous life. Refrain

SECOND READING [1 Timothy 6:11-21]:

But as for you, man of God, shun all this; pursue righteousness, godliness,
faith, love, endurance, gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith; take
hold of the eternal life, to which you were called and for which you made
the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. In the presence of
God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who in his
testimony before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, I charge you to
keep the commandment without spot or blame until the manifestation of our
Lord Jesus Christ, which he will bring about at the right time he who is
the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords. It is
he alone who has immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom no
one has ever seen or can see; to him be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

As for those who in the present age are rich, command them not to be
haughty, or to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but rather on
God who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. They are to
do good, to be rich in good works, generous, and ready to share, thus
storing up for themselves the treasure of a good foundation for the future,
so that they may take hold of the life that really is life.

Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to you. Avoid the profane chatter
and contradictions of what is falsely called knowledge; by professing it
some have missed the mark as regards the faith.

Grace be with you.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
As we prepare the way of the Lord,
let us offer prayers to God
who will baptize us with Spirit and fire.

For the coming of Jesus Christ in power and glory.
Prepare us, O Lord.

For the coming of Wisdom to teach and guide us.
Prepare us, O Lord.

For the coming of Emmanuel, the hope of all the peoples.
Prepare us, O Lord.

For the peace of the world, and for our unity in Christ.
Prepare us, O Lord.

For all bishops, presbyters, deacons and all who minister in Christ,
and for all the holy people of God.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the church throughout the world
and the faithful in every place, especially
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the leaders of the nations and all in authority.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For justice, peace, and freedom among peoples of the earth.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For travelers, for the sick and the suffering,
for the hungry and the oppressed, and for those in prison.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the dying and those who have died.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For our deliverance from all affliction, strife, and need.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Joining our voices with the ever-blessed Virgin Mary
and with all the saints and angels of God,
let us offer ourselves and one another
to the living God through Christ.
To you, O Lord, our God.

O Root of Jesse,
who rises as a signal among all peoples,
in whose presence rulers stand silent
and nations bow in worship,
come and deliver us without delay.
Glory to you for ever. Amen.

O God, the ruler of all,
who called your servant Margaret to an earthly throne
and gave her zeal for your Church and love for your people
that she might advance your heavenly kingdom:
mercifully grant that we who commemorate her example
may be fruitful in good works
and attain to the glorious crown of your saints;

Grant that as we serve yo now on earth,
so we may one day rejoice with all the saints
in your kingdom of light and peace,
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The psalms are from Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted
from prayers reprinted from Revised Common Lectionary Prayers, copyright ©
2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The second collect is from Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the
Church of England, material from which is included in this service is
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

Margaret (born c. 1045) was the grand-daughter of Edmund Ironside, King of
the English, but was probably born in exile in Hungary, and brought to
England in 1057. After the Norman Conquest in 1066, she sought refuge in
Scotland, where about 1070 she married the King, Malcolm III. She and her
husband rebuilt the monastery of Iona and founded the Benedictine Abbey at
Dunfermline. Margaret undertook to impose on the Scottish the
ecclesiastical customs she had been accustomed to in England, customs that
were also prevalent in France and Italy. But Margaret was not concerned
only with ceremonial considerations. She encouraged the founding of
schools, hospitals, and orphanages. She argued in favor of the practice of
receiving the Holy Communion frequently. She was less successful in
preventing feuding among Highland Clans, and when her husband was
treacherously killed in 1093, she herself died a few days later (of grief,
it is said). [James Kiefer]