OREMUS: 15 November 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Nov 14 21:40:32 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Blessed are you, ever-living God,
you inscribe our names in your book of life
so that we may share the firstfruits of salvation.
You protect the widows and strangers,
the oppressed and forgotten,
and feed the hungry with good things.
You stand among us in Christ, offering life to all.
You call us to respond with open hearts and minds to the world,
caring for those for whom you care.

I will cry aloud to God;*
 I will cry aloud and he will hear me.
In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord;*
 my hands were stretched out by night and did not tire;
   I refused to be comforted.
I think of God, I am restless,*
 I ponder and my spirit faints.
You will not let my eyelids close;*
 I am troubled and I cannot speak.
I consider the days of old;*
 I remember the years long past;
I commune with my heart in the night;*
 I ponder and search my mind.
Will the Lord cast me off for ever?*
 will he no more show his favour?
Has his loving-kindness come to an end for ever?*
 has his promise failed for evermore?
Has God forgotten to be gracious?*
 has he, in his anger, withheld his compassion?
And I said, 'My grief is this:*
 the right hand of the Most High has lost its power.'
I will remember the works of the Lord,*
 and call to mind your wonders of old time.
I will meditate on all your acts*
 and ponder your mighty deeds.
Your way, O God, is holy;*
 who is so great a god as our God?
You are the God who works wonders*
 and have declared your power among the peoples.
By your strength you have redeemed your people,*
 the children of Jacob and Joseph.
The waters saw you, O God;
   the waters saw you and trembled;*
 the very depths were shaken.
The clouds poured out water; the skies thundered;*
 your arrows flashed to and fro;
The sound of your thunder was in the whirlwind;
   your lightnings lit up the world;*
 the earth trembled and shook.
Your way was in the sea,
   and your paths in the great waters,*
 yet your footsteps were not seen.
You led your people like a flock*
 by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

A Song of Jerusalem our Mother (from Isaiah 66)

'Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her
all you who love her', says the Lord.

'Rejoice with her in joy,
all you who mourn over her,

'That you may drink deeply with delight
from her consoling breast.'

For thus says our God,
'You shall be nursed and carried on her arm.

'As a mother comforts her children,
so I will comfort you;

'You shall see and your heart shall rejoice;
you shall flourish like the grass of the fields.'

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Genesis 24:28-42]:

Then the girl ran and told her mother's household about
these things. Rebekah had a brother whose name was Laban;
and Laban ran out to the man, to the spring. As soon as
he had seen the nose-ring, and the bracelets on his
sister's arms, and when he heard the words of his sister
Rebekah, 'Thus the man spoke to me', he went to the man;
and there he was, standing by the camels at the spring.
He said, 'Come in, O blessed of the Lord. Why do you
stand outside when I have prepared the house and a place
for the camels?' So the man came into the house; and
Laban unloaded the camels, and gave him straw and fodder
for the camels, and water to wash his feet and the feet
of the men who were with him. Then food was set before
him to eat; but he said, 'I will not eat until I have
told my errand.' He said, 'Speak on.'
So he said, 'I am Abraham's servant. The Lord has greatly
blessed my master, and he has become wealthy; he has
given him flocks and herds, silver and gold, male and
female slaves, camels and donkeys. And Sarah my master's
wife bore a son to my master when she was old; and he has
given him all that he has. My master made me swear,
saying, "You shall not take a wife for my son from the
daughters of the Canaanites, in whose land I live; but
you shall go to my father's house, to my kindred, and get
a wife for my son." I said to my master, "Perhaps the
woman will not follow me." But he said to me, "The Lord,
before whom I walk, will send his angel with you and make
your way successful. You shall get a wife for my son from
my kindred, from my father's house. Then you will be free
from my oath, when you come to my kindred; even if they
will not give her to you, you will be free from my
oath."
'I came today to the spring, and said, "O Lord, the God
of my master Abraham, if now you will only make
successful the way I am going!

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts, 1719
Tune: Duke Street, Truro

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j162.html

Jesus shall reign where e'er the sun
doth his successive journeys run;
his kingdom stretch from shore to shore,
till moons shall wax and wane no more.

To him shall endless prayer be made,
and praises throng to crown his head;
his Name like sweet perfume shall rise
with every morning sacrifice.

People and realms of every tongue
dwell on his love with sweetest song;
and infant voices shall proclaim
their early blessings on his Name.

Blessings abound where e'er he reigns:
the prisoner leaps to lose his chains,
the weary find eternal rest,
and all the sons of want are blest.

Let every creature rise and bring
peculiar honors to our King;
angels descend with songs again,
and earth repeat the loud Amen.

SECOND READING [Luke 4:16-30]:

When he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, he went to the synagogue
on the sabbath day, as was his custom. He stood up to read, and the scroll of the
prophet Isaiah was given to him. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where it
was written:
'The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
   because he has anointed me
     to bring good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives
   and recovery of sight to the blind,
     to let the oppressed go free,
to proclaim the year of the Lord's favour.'
And he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant, and sat down. The eyes of all
in the synagogue were fixed on him. Then he began to say to them, 'Today this
scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.' All spoke well of him and were amazed at
the gracious words that came from his mouth. They said, 'Is not this Joseph's son?'
He said to them, 'Doubtless you will quote to me this proverb, "Doctor, cure
yourself!" And you will say, "Do here also in your home town the things that we have
heard you did at Capernaum." ' And he said, 'Truly I tell you, no prophet is accepted
in the prophet's home town. But the truth is, there were many widows in Israel in the
time of Elijah, when the heaven was shut up for three years and six months, and there
was a severe famine over all the land; yet Elijah was sent to none of them except to a
widow at Zarephath in Sidon. There were also many lepers in Israel in the time of the
prophet Elisha, and none of them was cleansed except Naaman the Syrian.' When they
heard this, all in the synagogue were filled with rage. They got up, drove him out of
the town, and led him to the brow of the hill on which their town was built, so that
they might hurl him off the cliff. But he passed through the midst of them and went on
his way.

Jesus our exalted Lord has been given all authority.
Let us seek his intercession that our prayers may be perfected by his prayer.

Jesus Christ, great high priest, living for ever to intercede for us
pray for your Church, your broken body in the world
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, king of righteousness,
enthroned at the right hand of the majesty on high
pray for the world, and make it subject to your gentle rule
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Son of Man, drawing humanity into the life of God
pray for your bothers and sisters in need, distress or sorrow
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, pioneer of our salvation,
bringing us to your glory through your death and resurrection
receive into your kingdom those who have died
  trusting in your promises
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Lord of all things,
ascended far above from the heavens and filling the universe
pray for us who receive the gifts you give us
  for work in your service
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ,
keep the Church in the unity of the Spirit
  and in the bond of peace,
and bring the whole created order to worship at your feet;
for you are alive and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. Amen.

Almighty Father,
whose will is to restore all things
in your beloved Son, the king of all:
govern the hearts and minds of those in authority,
and bring the families of the nations,
divided and torn apart by the ravages of sin,
to be subject to his just and gentle rule;

Grant that as we serve yo now on earth,
so we may one day rejoice with all the saints
in your kingdom of light and peace,

copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts