OREMUS: 13 November 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Nov 12 21:05:24 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Monday, November 13, 2006
Charles Simeon, Pastor, Evangelical Divine, 1836

Blessed are you, ever-living God,
you inscribe our names in your book of life
so that we may share the firstfruits of salvation.
You protect the widows and strangers,
the oppressed and forgotten,
and feed the hungry with good things.
You stand among us in Christ, offering life to all.
You call us to respond with open hearts and minds to the world,
caring for those for whom you care.

 I will tell of all your marvellous works.
I will be glad and rejoice in you;*
 I will sing to your name, O Most High.
When my enemies are driven back,*
 they will stumble and perish at your presence.
For you have maintained my right and my cause;*
 you sit upon your throne judging right.
You have rebuked the ungodly and destroyed the wicked;*
 you have blotted out their name for ever and ever.
As for the enemy, they are finished, in perpetual ruin,*
 their cities ploughed under,
   the memory of them perished;
But the Lord is enthroned for ever;*
 he has set up his throne for judgement.
It is he who rules the world with righteousness;*
 he judges the peoples with equity.
The Lord will be a refuge for the oppressed,*
 a refuge in time of trouble.
Those who know your name will put their trust in you,*
 for you never forsake those who seek you, O Lord.
Sing praise to the Lord who dwells in Zion;*
 proclaim to the peoples the things he has done.
The avenger of blood will remember them;*
 he will not forget the cry of the afflicted.
Have pity on me, O Lord;*
 see the misery I suffer from those who hate me,
   O you who lift me up from the gate of death;
So that I may tell of all your praises
   and rejoice in your salvation*
 in the gates of the city of Zion.
The ungodly have fallen into the pit they dug,*
 and in the snare they set is their own foot caught.
The Lord is known by his acts of justice;*
 the wicked are trapped in the works of their own hands.
The wicked shall be given over to the grave,*
 and also all the peoples that forget God.
For the needy shall not always be forgotten,*
 and the hope of the poor shall not perish for ever.
Rise up, O Lord,
   let not the ungodly have the upper hand;*
 let them be judged before you.
Put fear upon them, O Lord;*
 let the ungodly know they are but mortal.

A Song of Wisdom (Wisdom 9.1-5a,5c-6,9-11)

O God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
you have made all things by your word.

By your wisdom you have formed us
to have dominion over the creatures you have made;

To rule the world in holiness and righteousness
and to pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul.

Give us the Wisdom that sits by your throne;
do not reject us from among your servants,

For we are your servants,
with little understanding of judgement and laws.

Even one who is perfect among us
will be regarded as nothing
without the wisdom that comes from you.

With you is Wisdom, she who knows your works,
and was present when you made the world.

She understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.

Send her forth from the holy heavens,
from the throne of your glory send her.

That she may labour at our side
and that we may learn what is pleasing to you.

For she knows and understands all things,
she will guide us wisely in our actions
and guard us with her glory.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Genesis 24:1-10]:

Now Abraham was old, well advanced in years; and the Lord
had blessed Abraham in all things. Abraham said to his
servant, the oldest of his house, who had charge of all
that he had, 'Put your hand under my thigh and I will
make you swear by the Lord, the God of heaven and earth,
that you will not get a wife for my son from the
daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I live, but will
go to my country and to my kindred and get a wife for my
son Isaac.' The servant said to him, 'Perhaps the woman
may not be willing to follow me to this land; must I then
take your son back to the land from which you came?'
Abraham said to him, 'See to it that you do not take my
son back there. The Lord, the God of heaven, who took me
from my father's house and from the land of my birth, and
who spoke to me and swore to me, "To your offspring I
will give this land", he will send his angel before you;
you shall take a wife for my son from there. But if the
woman is not willing to follow you, then you will be free
from this oath of mine; only you must not take my son
back there.' So the servant put his hand under the thigh
of Abraham his master and swore to him concerning this
matter.
Then the servant took ten of his master's camels and
departed, taking all kinds of choice gifts from his
master; and he set out and went to Aram-naharaim, to the
city of Nahor.

HYMN
Words: Robert Seymour Bridges, 1899
Tune: Spetisbury
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a146.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/
a146.html

All praise be to God,
whom all things obey,
from angels and men
for ever and ay;
who sendeth on earth
the powers of his throne,
his providence good
and love to make known.

His angels are they
of countenance fair,
the arm of his strength,
his hand of kind care;
his message of peace
to us they reveal,
his wisdom most high
they seal or unseal.

By martyrs of old
they stood in the flame,
and bade them not flinch,
but call on God's name.
Through torment, through shame,
through darkness of death,
they led without fear
the sires of our faith.

They stand with the few,
they fight for the free,
God's reign to advance
o'er land and o'er sea;
and when the brave die
or fall in the fight,
their spirits they bear
to rest in God's sight.

For patience and toil
a crown they prepare;
they found for the meek
a kingdom full fair;
no famine nor plague
'gainst them doth prevail;
their bread cannot lack,
their cruse cannot fail.

We pray thee, who art
thy angels' reward,
thy flock to defend
forget not, O Lord;
but prosper their aid,
that us they may bring
to see the true face
of Jesus, our King.

SECOND READING [1 Timothy 5:1-8]:

Do not speak harshly to an older man, but speak to him as to a father, to younger men
as brothers, to older women as mothers, to younger women as sisters with absolute
purity.
Honour widows who are really widows. If a widow has children or grandchildren, they
should first learn their religious duty to their own family and make some repayment to
their parents; for this is pleasing in God's sight. The real widow, left alone, has set her
hope on God and continues in supplications and prayers night and day; but the widow
who lives for pleasure is dead even while she lives. Give these commands as well, so
that they may be above reproach. And whoever does not provide for relatives, and
especially for family members, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

O God, you are filled with possibility and mystery.
You hold our anxieties and our hopes.

Your faithful forget to praise you, consumed by self-centered busyness,
O God of stillness, come into our hearts.

Your beloved community is baffled and broken,
O God of healing, come into our churches.

Your people wander in the streets without a place to lay their head,
O God our resting place, come into our neighborhoods.

Your world is torn apart by war and conflict,
O God of Peace, come into our world.

Night and day, we wait and pray, for you, our Emmanuel. Amen.

Righteous Judge,
hear the cries of your people.
Rescue them from the hands of their oppressors,
and save them from the gates of death,
that we may always rejoice in your help;
through Jesus Christ our Savior and Defender. Amen.

Eternal God,
who raised up Charles Simeon
to preach the good news of Jesus Christ
and inspire your people in service and mission:
grant that we with all your Church may worship the Saviour,
turn in sorrow from our sins and walk in the way of holiness;

Grant that as we serve yo now on earth,
so we may one day rejoice with all the saints
in your kingdom of light and peace,

copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

the second collect are from _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

Two hundred years ago, students at the English Universities were required to
attend church regularly, and to receive the Holy Communion at least once a
year. This latter requirement often had bad effects, in that it encouraged
hypocrisy and an irreverent reception of the sacrament. Occasionally, however,
it had a very good effect, as with the Cambridge student Charles Simeon. He
wrote:
"On 29 January 1779 I came to college. On 2 February I understood that at
division of term I must attend the Lord's Supper. The Provost absolutely
required it. Conscience told me that, if I must go, I must repent and turn to
God."
By this experience his life was transformed. Upon finishing his college work he
was ordained, and shortly appointed chaplain of Holy Trinity, Cambridge,
where he remained for 55 years, until shortly before his death on 12 November
1836. His ministry helped to transform the lives of many undergraduates, of
whom we may mention two in particular. Henry Martyn, inspired by Simeon,
abandoned his intention of going into law and instead devoted his life and his
considerable talents to preaching the Gospel in India and Persia. William
Wilberforce, also led in part by Simeon's ministry of teaching and example,
devoted his life to the abolition of slavery throughout the British Empire.
Simeon's enthusiasm and zeal brought him much ridicule and abuse, which he
bore uncomplainingly. Though he himself remained in one place, his influence
extended through the Anglican world. [James Kiefer]