OREMUS: 12 November 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Nov 11 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, November 12, 2006
The Twenty-Third Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, ever-living God,
you inscribe our names in your book of life
so that we may share the firstfruits of salvation.
You protect the widows and strangers,
the oppressed and forgotten,
and feed the hungry with good things.
You stand among us in Christ, offering life to all.
You call us to respond with open hearts and minds to the world,
caring for those for whom you care.

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
 his mercy endures for ever.
Let Israel now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
Let the house of Aaron now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
Let those who fear the Lord now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
I called to the Lord in my distress;*
 the Lord answered by setting me free.
The Lord is at my side, therefore I will not fear;*
 what can anyone do to me?
The Lord is at my side to help me;*
 I will triumph over those who hate me.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
 than to put any trust in flesh.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
 than to put any trust in rulers.
All the ungodly encompass me;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They hem me in, they hem me in on every side;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They swarm about me like bees;
   they blaze like a fire of thorns;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
I was pressed so hard that I almost fell,*
 but the Lord came to my help.
The Lord is my strength and my song,*
 and he has become my salvation.
There is a sound of exultation and victory*
 in the tents of the righteous:
'The right hand of the Lord has triumphed!*
 the right hand of the Lord is exalted!
   the right hand of the Lord has triumphed!'
I shall not die, but live,*
 and declare the works of the Lord.
The Lord has punished me sorely,*
 but he did not hand me over to death.
Open for me the gates of righteousness;*
 I will enter them; I will offer thanks to the Lord.
'This is the gate of the Lord;*
 whoever is righteous may enter.'
I will give thanks to you, for you answered me*
 and have become my salvation.
The same stone which the builders rejected*
 has become the chief corner-stone.
This is the Lord's doing,*
 and it is marvellous in our eyes.
On this day the Lord has acted;*
 we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Hosanna, Lord, hosanna!*
 Lord, send us now success.
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord;*
 we bless you from the house of the Lord.
God is the Lord; he has shined upon us;*
 form a procession with branches
   up to the horns of the altar.
'You are my God and I will thank you;*
 you are my God and I will exalt you.'
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
 his mercy endures for ever.

A Song of God's Assembled (Hebrews 12:22-24a,28-29)

We have come before God's holy mountain,
to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God.

We have come before countless angels making festival,
before the assembly of the firstborn citizens of heaven.

We have come before God, who is judge of all,
before the spirits of the just made perfect.

We have come before Jesus,
the mediator of the new covenant.

We are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken:
so let us give thanks and offer to God acceptable worship,

full of reverence and awe;
for our God is a consuming fire.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 15:1-11]:

Every seventh year you shall grant a remission of debts.
And this is the manner of the remission: every creditor
shall remit the claim that is held against a neighbour,
not exacting it from a neighbour who is a member of the
community, because the Lord's remission has been
proclaimed. From a foreigner you may exact it, but you
must remit your claim on whatever any member of your
community owes you. There will, however, be no one in
need among you, because the Lord is sure to bless you in
the land that the Lord your God is giving you as a
possession to occupy, if only you will obey the Lord your
God by diligently observing this entire commandment that
I command you today. When the Lord your God has blessed
you, as he promised you, you will lend to many nations,
but you will not borrow; you will rule over many nations,
but they will not rule over you.
If there is among you anyone in need, a member of your
community in any of your towns within the land that the
Lord your God is giving you, do not be hard-hearted or
tight-fisted towards your needy neighbour. You should
rather open your hand, willingly lending enough to meet
the need, whatever it may be. Be careful that you do not
entertain a mean thought, thinking, 'The seventh year,
the year of remission, is near', and therefore view your
needy neighbour with hostility and give nothing; your
neighbour might cry to the Lord against you, and you
would incur guilt. Give liberally and be ungrudging when
you do so, for on this account the Lord your God will
bless you in all your work and in all that you undertake.
Since there will never cease to be some in need on the
earth, I therefore command you, 'Open your hand to the
poor and needy neighbour in your land.'

HYMN
Words: John Keble, 1820
Tune: Abends, Angelus, Hursley, Birling, Herr Gott Vater

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s366.html

Sun of my soul, thou Savior dear,
it is not night if thou be near;
O may no earthborn cloud arise
to hide thee from thy servant's eyes.

When the soft dews of kindly sleep
my wearied eyelids gently steep,
be my last thought, how sweet to rest
forever on my Savior's breast.

Abide with me from morn till eve,
for without thee I cannot live;
abide with me when night is nigh,
for without thee I dare not die.

If some poor wandering child of thine
has spurned today the voice divine,
now, Lord, the gracious work begin;
let him no more lie down in sin.

Watch by the sick, enrich the poor
with blessings from thy boundless store;
be every mourner's sleep tonight,
like infants' slumbers, pure and right.

Come near and bless us when we wake,
ere through the world our way we take,
till in the ocean of thy love
we lose ourselves in heaven above.

SECOND READING [Luke 6:20-31]:

Jesus looked up at his disciples and said:
'Blessed are you who are poor,
   for yours is the kingdom of God.
'Blessed are you who are hungry now,
   for you will be filled.
'Blessed are you who weep now,
   for you will laugh.

'Blessed are you when people hate you, and when they exclude you, revile you, and
defame you on account of the Son of Man. Rejoice on that day and leap for joy, for
surely your reward is great in heaven; for that is what their ancestors did to the
prophets.
'But woe to you who are rich,
   for you have received your consolation.
'Woe to you who are full now,
   for you will be hungry.
'Woe to you who are laughing now,
   for you will mourn and weep.

'Woe to you when all speak well of you, for that is what their ancestors did to the
false prophets.

'But I say to you that listen, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless
those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. If anyone strikes you on the
cheek, offer the other also; and from anyone who takes away your coat do not
withhold even your shirt. Give to everyone who begs from you; and if anyone takes
away your goods, do not ask for them again. Do to others as you would have them do
to you.'

As we await the coming of the Lord
let us offer prayers to God
who bears the sins of many.

For our bishops,
for this holy gathering,
and for the people of God in every place.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For mercy, justice, and peace among all peoples.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For good weather,
abundant fruits of the earth
and peaceful times.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For our city and those who live in it
and for all those we love.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all those in danger and need:
the sick and the suffering,
prisoners, captives, and their families,
the hungry, homeless, and oppressed.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For those who rest in Christ and for all the dead.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For our deliverance from all affliction, strife, and need.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Lifting our voices with all creation,
let us offer ourselves and one another
to the living God through Christ.
To you, O Lord.

Living Lord,
you have made this day your own
and called us out of darkness into your marvellous light;
open the gates of righteousness
that your pilgrim people may enter
and be built into a living temple
on the cornerstone of our salvation,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Grant that as we serve yo now on earth,
so we may one day rejoice with all the saints
in your kingdom of light and peace,

copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The intercession is by Ormonde Plater.

The collect is from _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the
Church of England_, material from which is included in this service is