OREMUS: 11 November 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Nov 10 21:29:51 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, November 11, 2006
Martin, Bishop of Tours, c.397

Blessed are you, Lover of our souls,
in Jesus, your Incarnate One and our Redeemer,
you have made us no longer strangers and sojourners,
but fellow citizens with the saints
and members of your household.

God is our refuge and strength,*
 a very present help in trouble;
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth be moved,*
 and though the mountains be toppled
   into the depths of the sea;
Though its waters rage and foam,*
 and though the mountains tremble at its tumult.
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.
There is a river whose streams
   make glad the city of God,*
 the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her;
   she shall not be overthrown;*
 God shall help her at the break of day.
The nations make much ado
   and the kingdoms are shaken;*
 God has spoken and the earth shall melt away.
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.
Come now and look upon the works of the Lord,*
 what awesome things he has done on earth.
It is he who makes war to cease in all the world;*
 he breaks the bow and shatters the spear
   and burns the shields with fire.
'Be still, then, and know that I am God;*
 I will be exalted among the nations;
   I will be exalted in the earth.'
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.

Psalm 82

God takes his stand in the council of heaven;*
 he gives judgement in the midst of the gods:
'How long will you judge unjustly,*
 and show favour to the wicked?
'Save the weak and the orphan;*
 defend the humble and needy;
'Rescue the weak and the poor;*
 deliver them from the power of the wicked.
'They do not know, neither do they understand;
   they go about in darkness;*
 all the foundations of the earth are shaken.
'Now I say to you, "You are gods,*
 and all of you children of the Most High;
'"Nevertheless, you shall die like mortals,*
 and fall like any prince."'
Arise, O God, and rule the earth,*
 for you shall take all nations for your own.

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43:15-21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your king.'

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,

'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.

'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,

'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Ruth 4:18-22]:

Now these are the descendants of Perez: Perez became the
father of Hezron, Hezron of Ram, Ram of Amminadab,
Amminadab of Nahshon, Nahshon of Salmon, Salmon of Boaz,
Boaz of Obed, Obed of Jesse, and Jesse of David.

HYMN
Words: Philipp Nicolai, 1597;
paraphrased in Psalmodia Germanica, 1722
and altered by William Mercer, 1855, 1859.
Tune: Wie sch”n leuchtet

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h362.html

How bright appears the Morning Star,
with mercy beaming from afar;
the host of heaven rejoices;
O righteous Branch, O Jesse's Rod!
Thou Son of Man and Son of God!
We, too, will lift our voices:
Jesus, Jesus!
Holy, holy, yet most lowly,
draw thou near us;
great Emmanuel, come and hear us.

Though circled by the hosts on high,
he deigned to cast a pitying eye
upon his helpless creature;
the whole creation's Head and Lord,
by highest seraphim adored,
assumed our very nature;
Jesus, grant us,
through thy merit, to inherit
thy salvation;
hear, O hear our supplication.

Rejoice, ye heavens; thou earth, reply;
with praise, ye sinners, fill the sky,
for this his Incarnation.
Incarnate God, put forth thy power,
ride on, ride on, great Conqueror,
till all know thy salvation.
Amen, amen!
Alleluia, alleluia!
Praise be given
evermore, by earth and heaven.

SECOND READING [Mark 11:12-14, 20-24]:

On the following day, when they came from Bethany, he was hungry. Seeing in the
distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to see whether perhaps he would find anything on it.
When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs. He
said to it, 'May no one ever eat fruit from you again.' And his disciples heard it.
In the morning as they passed by, they saw the fig tree withered away to its roots.
Then Peter remembered and said to him, 'Rabbi, look! The fig tree that you cursed has
withered.' Jesus answered them, 'Have faith in God. Truly I tell you, if you say to this
mountain, "Be taken up and thrown into the sea", and if you do not doubt in your
heart, but believe that what you say will come to pass, it will be done for you. So I tell
you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be
yours.

Let us pray for the peace of the world:

For statesmen and rulers, that they may have wisdom
to know and courage to do what is right ...
God of peace
hear our prayer.

For all who work to improve international relationships,
that they may find the true way to reconciliation...
God of peace
hear our prayer.

For all the peoples of the earth,
that they may have justice and freedom,
and live in security and peace ...
God of peace
hear our prayer.

Let us pray for all who suffer as a result of war,
for the injured and the disabled,
for the mentally distressed,
and for those whose faith in God and man has been
weakened or destroyed ...
God of peace
hear our prayer.

For the homeless and refugees,
for those who are hungry,
and for all who have lost their livelihood and security ...
God of peace
hear our prayer.

For those who mourn their dead,
those who have lost husband or wife,
children or parents,
and especially for those who have no hope in Christ
to sustain them in their grief ...
God of peace
hear our prayer.

Let us remember before God,
and commend to his sure keeping
those who have died for their country in war;
those whom we knew, and whose memory we treasure;
and all who have lived and died
in the service of mankind.
God of peace
hear our prayer.

Almighty and eternal God,
from whose love in Christ we cannot be parted,
either by death or life:
hear our prayers and thanksgivings
for all whom we remember this day;
fulfil in them the purpose of your love;
and bring us all, with them, to your eternal joy;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Most gracious God and Father,
in whose will is our peace:
turn our hearts and the hearts of all to yourself,
that by the power of your Spirit
the peace which is founded on righteousness
may be established throughout the whole world;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God all powerful,
who called Martin from the armies of this world
to be a faithful soldier of Christ:
give us grace to follow him
in his love and compassion for the needy
and enable your Church to claim for all people
their inheritance as children of God;

Let us pledge ourselves anew to the service of God
and our fellow men and women:
that we may help, encourage, and comfort others,
and support those working for the relief of the needy
and for the peace and welfare of the nations:

Lord God our Father,
we pledge ourselves
to serve you and all humankind,
in the cause of peace,
for the relief of want and suffering,
and for the praise of your name.
Guide us by your Spirit;
give us wisdom;
give us courage;
give us hope;
and keep us faithful
now and always. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on Ephesians 2:19.

The closing sentence is from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer_,