OREMUS: 10 November 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Nov 9 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, November 10, 2006
Leo the Great, Bishop of Rome, Teacher of the Faith, 461

Blessed are you, Lover of our souls,
in Jesus, your Incarnate One and our Redeemer,
you have made us no longer strangers and sojourners,
but fellow citizens with the saints
and members of your household.

The Lord is my shepherd;*
 I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures*
 and leads me beside still waters.
He revives my soul*
 and guides me along right pathways for his name's sake.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
   I shall fear no evil;*
 for you are with me;
   your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You spread a table before me
   in the presence of those who trouble me;*
 you have anointed my head with oil,
   and my cup is running over.
Surely your goodness and mercy shall follow me
   all the days of my life,*
 and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Psalm 125

Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion,*
 which cannot be moved, but stands fast for ever.
The hills stand about Jerusalem;*
 so does the Lord stand round about his people,
   from this time forth for evermore.
The sceptre of the wicked shall not hold sway
   over the land allotted to the just,*
 so that the just shall not put their hands to evil.
Show your goodness, O Lord, to those who are good*
 and to those who are true of heart.
As for those who turn aside to crooked ways,
   the Lord will lead them away with the evildoers;*
 but peace be upon Israel.

A Song of the Righteous (Wisdom 3:1,2a,3b-8)

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God
 and no torment will ever touch them.

In the eyes of the foolish, they seem to have died;
 but they are at peace.

For though, in the sight of others, they were punished,
 their hope is of immortality.

Having been disciplined a little,
 they will receive great good,
 because God tested them and found them worthy.

Like gold in the furnace, God tried them
 and, like a sacrificial burnt offering, accepted them.

In the time of their visitation, they will shine forth
 and will run like sparks through the stubble.

They will govern nations and rule over peoples
 and God will reign over them for ever.

FIRST READING [Ruth 4:11-17]:

Then all the people who were at the gate, along with the
elders, said, 'We are witnesses. May the Lord make the
woman who is coming into your house like Rachel and Leah,
who together built up the house of Israel. May you
produce children in Ephrathah and bestow a name in
Bethlehem; and, through the children that the Lord will
give you by this young woman, may your house be like the
house of Perez, whom Tamar bore to Judah.'
So Boaz took Ruth and she became his wife. When they came
together, the Lord made her conceive, and she bore a son.
Then the women said to Naomi, 'Blessed be the Lord, who
has not left you this day without next-of-kin; and may
his name be renowned in Israel! He shall be to you a
restorer of life and a nourisher of your old age; for
your daughter-in-law who loves you, who is more to you
than seven sons, has borne him.' Then Naomi took the
child and laid him in her bosom, and became his nurse.
The women of the neighbourhood gave him a name, saying,
'A son has been born to Naomi.' They named him Obed; he
became the father of Jesse, the father of David.

HYMN
Words: Nicholaus Ludwig von Zinzendorf, 1739
trans. John Wesley, 1740
Tune: Walton

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j203.html

Jesus, thy blood and righteousness
my beauty are, my glorious dress;
'midst flaming worlds, in these arrayed,
with joy shall I lift up my head.

Bold shall I stand in thy great day;
for who aught to my charge shall lay?
Fully absolved through these I am
from sin and fear, from guilt and shame.

When from the dust of death I rise
to claim my mansion in the skies,
even then this shall be all my plea,
Jesus hath lived, hath died, for me.

Jesus, be endless praise to thee,
whose boundless mercy hath for me
for me a full atonement made,
an everlasting ransom paid.

O let the dead now hear thy voice;
now bid thy banished ones rejoice;
their beauty this, their glorious dress,
Jesus, thy blood and righteousness.

SECOND READING [Hebrews 9:15-24]:

For this reason he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may
receive the promised eternal inheritance, because a death has occurred that redeems
them from the transgressions under the first covenant. Where a will is involved, the
death of the one who made it must be established. For a will takes effect only at death,
since it is not in force as long as the one who made it is alive. Hence not even the first
covenant was inaugurated without blood. For when every commandment had been
told to all the people by Moses in accordance with the law, he took the blood of calves
and goats, with water and scarlet wool and hyssop, and sprinkled both the scroll itself
and all the people, saying, 'This is the blood of the covenant that God has ordained for
you.' And in the same way he sprinkled with the blood both the tent and all the vessels
used in worship. Indeed, under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and
without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins.
Thus it was necessary for the sketches of the heavenly things to be purified with these
rites, but the heavenly things themselves need better sacrifices than these. For Christ
did not enter a sanctuary made by human hands, a mere copy of the true one, but he
entered into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God on our behalf.

In joyful hope, we pray to you, O Lord:
Come, Lord Jesus!

Come to your Church as Lord and Judge
and give us a longing for your loving rule.
Come, Lord Jesus!

Come to your world as King of the nations
and let righteousness and peace prevail:
Come, Lord Jesus!

Come to us as Savior and Comforter,
breaking into our failure and freeing us to serve you:
Come, Lord Jesus!

Come to us with power and great joy,
that our hearts may be lifted to meet you in joy:
Come, Lord Jesus!

O King enthroned on high,
filling the earth with your glory:
holy is your Name,
Lord God almighty.
In our sinfulness we cry to you
to take our guilt away,
and to cleanse our lips to speak your word,
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen

O Lord our God,
grant that your Church,
following the example of your servant Leo of Rome,
may hold fast the great mystery of our redemption,
and adore the one true Christ,
truly God and truly Human,
neither divided from our human nature
nor separate from your divine Being;

May Christ, who has opened the kingdom of heaven,
bring us to reign with him in glory. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on Ephesians 2:19.

The intercession is adapted from a form by the Durham Liturgical Commission

The first collect is from  _Common Worship: Times and Seasons_,

The closing sentence is from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer_,

Leo I (440-461) and Gregory I (590-604) are the only two bishops of Rome
commonly called "the Great." Leo, at a time when the capital of the Empire
had been moved to Constantinople, and the government even in Italy no longer
had its headquarters at Rome, was the most important official in the city. To
him fell such prosaic tasks as supervising the distribution of grain imports and
reorganizing the municipal fire department. When Attila and the Huns invaded
Italy in 452, he negotiated their withdrawal, and when Gaiseric (or Genseric)
the Vandal captured Rome three years later, it was Leo who prevented the
total destruction of the city. It is perhaps not surprising that the theory of papal
supremacy gained much ground in his day.
In his day there were disgreements about the correct way to state the truth that
Jesus Christ is both God and man. In 449 Leo wrote a letter (known as the
Tome of Leo) to Bishop Flavian of Constantinople, in which he affirmed that
Christ has two Natures in one Person. The letter was read in 451 by the
Council of Chalcedon (the fourth Ecumenical Council), and judged by them to
be sound doctrine. It contributed much to the creedal statements of that
council.
Leo's influence on church government will naturally get mixed reviews. But for
his defense of the belief that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto
himself, all Christians may thank God.
>From a sermon by Leo the Great:
"Although the universal Church of God is constituted of distinct orders of
members, still, in spite of the many parts of its holy body, the Church subsists
as an integral whole, just as the Apostle says: we are all one in Christ. . . For
all, regenerated in Christ, are made kings by the sign of the cross; they are
consecrated priests by the oil of the Holy Spirit, so that beyond the special
service of our ministry as priests, all spiritual and mature Christians know that
they are a royal race and are sharers in the office of the priesthood. For what is
more king-like that to find yourself ruler over your body after having
surrendered your soul to God? And what is more priestly than to promise the
Lord a pure conscience and to offer him in love unblemished victims on the
altar of one's heart? "