OREMUS: 9 November 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Nov 8 17:00:00 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, November 9, 2006
Margery Kempe, Mystic, c.1440

Blessed are you, Lover of our souls,
in Jesus, your Incarnate One and our Redeemer,
you have made us no longer strangers and sojourners,
but fellow citizens with the saints
and members of your household.

I will exalt you, O God my King,*
 and bless your name for ever and ever.
Every day will I bless you*
 and praise your name for ever and ever.
Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 there is no end to his greatness.
One generation shall praise your works to another*
 and shall declare your power.
I will ponder the glorious splendour of your majesty*
 and all your marvellous works.
They shall speak of the might of your wondrous acts,*
 and I will tell of your greatness.
They shall publish the remembrance
   of your great goodness;*
 they shall sing of your righteous deeds.
The Lord is gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
The Lord is loving to everyone*
 and his compassion is over all his works.
All your works praise you, O Lord,*
 and your faithful servants bless you.
They make known the glory of your kingdom*
 and speak of your power;
That the peoples may know of your power*
 and the glorious splendour of your kingdom.
Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom;*
 your dominion endures throughout all ages.
The Lord is faithful in all his words*
 and merciful in all his deeds.
The Lord upholds all those who fall;*
 he lifts up those who are bowed down.
The eyes of all wait upon you, O Lord,*
 and you give them their food in due season.
You open wide your hand*
 and satisfy the needs of every living creature.
The Lord is righteous in all his ways*
 and loving in all his works.
The Lord is near to those who call upon him,*
 to all who call upon him faithfully.
He fulfils the desire of those who fear him,*
 he hears their cry and helps them.
The Lord preserves all those who love him,*
 but he destroys all the wicked.
My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord;*
 let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever.

A Song of the Holy City (Revelation 21:1-5a)

I saw a new heaven and a new earth,
for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away
and the sea was no more.

And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem,
coming down out of heaven from God,
prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

And I heard a great voice from the throne saying,
'Behold, my dwelling is with my people.

'I will dwell with them and they shall be mine,
and I myself will be with them.

'I will wipe away every tear from their eyes,
and death shall be no more.

'Neither shall there be mourning,
nor crying, nor pain any more,
for the former things have passed away.'

And the One who sat upon the throne said,
'Behold, I make all things new.'

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Ruth 4:1-10]:

No sooner had Boaz gone up to the gate and sat down there
than the next-of-kin, of whom Boaz had spoken, came
passing by. So Boaz said, 'Come over, friend; sit down
here.' And he went over and sat down. Then Boaz took ten
men of the elders of the city, and said, 'Sit down here';
so they sat down. He then said to the next-of-kin,
'Naomi, who has come back from the country of Moab, is
selling the parcel of land that belonged to our kinsman
Elimelech. So I thought I would tell you of it, and say:
Buy it in the presence of those sitting here, and in the
presence of the elders of my people. If you will redeem
it, redeem it; but if you will not, tell me, so that I
may know; for there is no one prior to you to redeem it,
and I come after you.' So he said, 'I will redeem it.'
Then Boaz said, 'The day you acquire the field from the
hand of Naomi, you are also acquiring Ruth the Moabite,
the widow of the dead man, to maintain the dead man's
name on his inheritance.' At this, the next-of-kin said,
'I cannot redeem it for myself without damaging my own
inheritance. Take my right of redemption yourself, for I
cannot redeem it.'
Now this was the custom in former times in Israel
concerning redeeming and exchanging: to confirm a
transaction, one party took off a sandal and gave it to
the other; this was the manner of attesting in Israel. So
when the next-of-kin said to Boaz, 'Acquire it for
yourself', he took off his sandal. Then Boaz said to the
elders and all the people, 'Today you are witnesses that
I have acquired from the hand of Naomi all that belonged
to Elimelech and all that belonged to Chilion and Mahlon.
I have also acquired Ruth the Moabite, the wife of
Mahlon, to be my wife, to maintain the dead man's name on
his inheritance, in order that the name of the dead may
not be cut off from his kindred and from the gate of his
native place; today you are witnesses.'

HYMN
Words: Samuel Crossman (1624-1683), 1664
Tune: Love Unknown

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/m/m187.html

My song is love unknown,
my Savior's love to me,
love to the loveless shown
that they might lovely be.
O who am I
that for my sake
my Lord should take
frail flesh and die?

He came from his blest throne
salvation to bestow,
but men made strange, and none
the longed-for Christ would know.
But O my friend,
my friend indeed,
who at my need,
his life did spend.

Sometimes they strew his way,
and his strong praises sing,
resounding all the day
hosannas to their King.
Then "Crucify!"
is all their breath,
and for his death
they thirst and cry.

Why, what hath my Lord done?
What makes this rage and spite?
He made the lame to run,
he gave the blind their sight.
Sweet injuries!
Yet they at these
themselves displease,
and 'gainst him rise.

They rise, and needs will have
my dear Lord made away;
a murderer they save,
the Prince of Life they slay.
Yet steadfast he
to suffering goes,
that he his foes
from thence might free.

Here might I stay and sing,
no story so divine:
never was love, dear King,
never was grief like thine.
This is my friend,
in whose sweet praise
I all my days
could gladly spend.

SECOND READING [Romans 5:6-11]:

For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. Indeed,
rarely will anyone die for a righteous person though perhaps for a good person
someone might actually dare to die. But God proves his love for us in that while we
still were sinners Christ died for us. Much more surely then, now that we have been
justified by his blood, will we be saved through him from the wrath of God. For if
while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son,
much more surely, having been reconciled, will we be saved by his life. But more than
that, we even boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have
now received reconciliation.

O Lord, answer us in the day of trouble,
Send us help from your holy place.

Show us the path of life,
For in your presence is joy.

Give justice to the orphan and oppressed
And break the power of wickedness and evil.

Look upon the hungry and sorrowful
And grant them the help for which they long.

Let the heavens rejoice and the earth be glad;
May your glory endure for ever.

Your kingship has dominion over all
And with you is our redemption.

Lord God, King of the Universe,
you show the bright glory of your reign
in acts of mercy and enduring love:
raise the spirits of the downcast
and restore those who have fallen away,
that your Church may continually sing of your saving help;

you have built your Church
through the love and devotion of your saints:
we give thanks for your servant Margery Kempe,
whom we commemorate today.
Inspire us to follow her example
that we in our generation may rejoice with her
in the vision of your glory;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit

May Christ, who has opened the kingdom of heaven,
bring us to reign with him in glory. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on Ephesians 2:19.

The closing sentence is from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer_,

Born at Lynn in Norfolk in about 1373, Margery married and had fourteen
children. After she had received several visions, she and her husband went
on a pilgimage to Canterbury. Her fervent denunciations of all pleasure
aroused stiff opposition and she was accused of Lollardy. In 1413 she and
her husband took vows of chastity before the Bishop of Lincoln. She also
made a pilgrimage to the Holy Land. The Book of Margery Kempe, which
is almost the sole source of information about the author, describes her
travels and mystical experiences. It also shows her closeness to the passion
of Christ for the sins of the world. The last reference to her is on a
pilgrimage to Danzig in 1433.