OREMUS: 8 November 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Nov 7 21:04:11 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Wednesday, November 8, 2006

Blessed are you, Lover of our souls,
in Jesus, your Incarnate One and our Redeemer,
you have made us no longer strangers and sojourners,
but fellow citizens with the saints
and members of your household.

You are to be praised, O God, in Zion;*
 to you shall vows be performed in Jerusalem.
To you that hear prayer shall all flesh come,*
 because of their transgressions.
Our sins are stronger than we are,*
 but you will blot them out.
Happy are they whom you choose
   and draw to your courts to dwell there!*
 they will be satisfied by the beauty of your house,
   by the holiness of your temple.
Awesome things will you show us in your righteousness,
   O God of our salvation,*
 O Hope of all the ends of the earth
   and of the seas that are far away.
You make fast the mountains by your power;*
 they are girded about with might.
You still the roaring of the seas,*
 the roaring of their waves,
   and the clamour of the peoples.
Those who dwell at the ends of the earth
   will tremble at your marvellous signs;*
 you make the dawn and the dusk to sing for joy.
You visit the earth and water it abundantly;
   you make it very plenteous;*
 the river of God is full of water.
You prepare the grain,*
 for so you provide for the earth.
You drench the furrows and smooth out the ridges;*
 with heavy rain you soften the ground
   and bless its increase.
You crown the year with your goodness,*
 and your paths overflow with plenty.
May the fields of the wilderness be rich for grazing,*
 and the hills be clothed with joy.
May the meadows cover themselves with flocks
   and the valleys cloak themselves with grain;*
 let them shout for joy and sing.

A Song of Jerusalem our Mother (from Isaiah 66)

'Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her
all you who love her', says the Lord.

'Rejoice with her in joy,
all you who mourn over her,

'That you may drink deeply with delight
from her consoling breast.'

For thus says our God,
'You shall be nursed and carried on her arm.

'As a mother comforts her children,
so I will comfort you;

'You shall see and your heart shall rejoice;
you shall flourish like the grass of the fields.'

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Ruth 3:8-18]:

At midnight the man was startled and turned over, and
there, lying at his feet, was a woman! He said, 'Who are
you?' And she answered, 'I am Ruth, your servant; spread
your cloak over your servant, for you are next-of-kin.'
He said, 'May you be blessed by the Lord, my daughter;
this last instance of your loyalty is better than the
first; you have not gone after young men, whether poor or
rich. And now, my daughter, do not be afraid; I will do
for you all that you ask, for all the assembly of my
people know that you are a worthy woman. But now, though
it is true that I am a near kinsman, there is another
kinsman more closely related than I. Remain this night,
and in the morning, if he will act as next-of-kin for
you, good; let him do so. If he is not willing to act as
next-of-kin for you, then, as the Lord lives, I will act
as next-of-kin for you. Lie down until the morning.'
So she lay at his feet until morning, but got up before
one person could recognize another; for he said, 'It must
not be known that the woman came to the threshing-floor.'
Then he said, 'Bring the cloak you are wearing and hold
it out.' So she held it, and he measured out six measures
of barley, and put it on her back; then he went into the
city. She came to her mother-in-law, who said, 'How did
things go with you, my daughter?' Then she told her all
that the man had done for her, saying, 'He gave me these
six measures of barley, for he said, "Do not go back to
your mother-in-law empty-handed." ' She replied, 'Wait,
my daughter, until you learn how the matter turns out,
for the man will not rest, but will settle the matter
today.'

HYMN
Words: John Ellerton, 1890
Tune: Song 4, St. Agnes (Langran)

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o282.html

O Holy Spirit, whom our Master sent
rich with all treasures from the throne above,
we pray thee for thy gift most excellent,
thy greatest, thine unfailing gift of love.

Thy grace abounds; the written word is ours;
and Satan trembles at the might of prayer:
the shield of faith can quell the evil powers,
and hope's bright helmet save us from despair.

These yet abide; but we would covet still
one gift, exalted faith and hope above;
grant us the new commandment to fulfill,
and even as Jesus loved us, so to love.

Grant us to follow his long-suffering path,
joying in truth, yet helping them that fall,
to think no evil, give no place to wrath,
but bear, believe, endure and hope for all.

So when at length we know as we are known,
and all the shadows are for ever past,
he who is Love may see in us his own,
and all in him be perfect love at last.

SECOND READING [John 13:31-35]:

When he had gone out, Jesus said, 'Now the Son of Man has been glorified, and God
has been glorified in him. If God has been glorified in him, God will also glorify him in
himself and will glorify him at once. Little children, I am with you only a little longer.
You will look for me; and as I said to the Jews so now I say to you, "Where I am
going, you cannot come." I give you a new commandment, that you love one another.
Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know
that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.'

>From the rising of the sun to its setting,
let us pray to the Lord.

That the people of God in all the world
may worship in spirit and in truth,
let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.

That the Church may discover again that unity which is your gift,
let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.

That the nations of the earth
may seek after the ways that make for peace,
let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.

That the whole creation, groaning in travail,
may be set free to enjoy the glorious liberty
of the children of God,
let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.

That all who with Christ have entered the shadow of death
may find the fulfilment of life and peace,
let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.

With all the saints in light,
let us offer eternal praise to the Lord made manifest:

May the richness of your creation, O God,
and the mystery of your sovereign rule,
lead us to that heavenly city
where all peoples will bring their wealth,
forsake their sins and find their true joy
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

May Christ, who has opened the kingdom of heaven,
bring us to reign with him in glory. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on Ephesians 2:19.

The closing sentence is from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer_,