OREMUS: 7 November 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Nov 6 17:31:32 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Tuesday, November 7, 2006
Willibrord of York, Bishop, Apostle of Frisia, 739

Blessed are you, Lover of our souls,
in Jesus, your Incarnate One and our Redeemer,
you have made us no longer strangers and sojourners,
but fellow citizens with the saints
and members of your household.

I love the Lord,
   because he has heard the voice of my supplication,*
 because he has inclined his ear to me
   whenever I called upon him.
The cords of death entangled me;
   the grip of the grave took hold of me;*
 I came to grief and sorrow.
Then I called upon the name of the Lord:*
 'O Lord, I pray you, save my life.'
Gracious is the Lord and righteous;*
 our God is full of compassion.
The Lord watches over the innocent;*
 I was brought very low and he helped me.
Turn again to your rest, O my soul,*
 for the Lord has treated you well.
For you have rescued my life from death,*
 my eyes from tears and my feet from stumbling.
I will walk in the presence of the Lord*
 in the land of the living.
I believed, even when I said,
   'I have been brought very low.'*
 In my distress I said, 'No one can be trusted.'
How shall I repay the Lord*
 for all the good things he has done for me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
Precious in the sight of the Lord*
 is the death of his servants.
O Lord, I am your servant;*
 I am your servant and the child of your handmaid;
   you have freed me from my bonds.
I will offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
In the courts of the Lord's house,*
 in the midst of you, O Jerusalem.
   Alleluia!

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7. 9-10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
 which no one could number,

>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
 standing before the throne and the Lamb.

They were clothed in white robes
 and had palms in their hands,
 and they cried with a loud voice, saying,

'Salvation belongs to our God
 who sits on the throne,
 and to the Lamb.'

These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
 they have washed their robes
 and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;

Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
 whom they serve day and night within the temple.

And the One who sits upon the throne
 will shelter them with his presence.

They shall never again feel hunger or thirst,
 the sun shall not strike them,
 nor any scorching heat.

For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
 will be their Shepherd,

He will guide them to springs of living water,
 and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

FIRST READING [Ruth 3:1-7]:

Naomi her mother-in-law said to her, 'My daughter, I need
to seek some security for you, so that it may be well
with you. Now here is our kinsman Boaz, with whose young
women you have been working. See, he is winnowing barley
tonight at the threshing-floor. Now wash and anoint
yourself, and put on your best clothes and go down to the
threshing-floor; but do not make yourself known to the
man until he has finished eating and drinking. When he
lies down, observe the place where he lies; then, go and
uncover his feet and lie down; and he will tell you what
to do.' She said to her, 'All that you tell me I will
do.'
So she went down to the threshing-floor and did just as
her mother-in-law had instructed her. When Boaz had eaten
and drunk, and he was in a contented mood, he went to lie
down at the end of the heap of grain. Then she came
quietly and uncovered his feet, and lay down.

HYMN
Words: Katherine Hankey, 1868
Tune: Hankey

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i099.html

I love to tell the story
of unseen things above,
of Jesus and his glory,
of Jesus and his love.
I love to tell the story,
because I know 'tis true;
it satisfies my longings
as nothing else can do.
Refrain:
I love to tell the story,
'twill be my theme in glory,
to tell the old, old story
of Jesus and his love.

I love to tell the story;
more wonderful it seems
than all the golden fancies
of all our golden dreams.
I love to tell the story,
it did so much for me;
and that is just the reason
I tell it now to thee. Refrain

I love to tell the story;
'tis pleasant to repeat what seems,
each time I tell it,
more wonderfully sweet.
I love to tell the story,
for some have never heard
the message of salvation
from God's own holy Word. Refrain

I love to tell the story,
for those who know it best
seem hungering and thirsting
to hear it like the rest.
and when, in scenes of glory,
I sing the new, new song,
'twill be the old, old story
that I have loved so long. Refrain

SECOND READING [Acts 7:17-29]:

Stephen replied to the high priest, 'But as the time drew near for the fulfilment of the
promise that God had made to Abraham, our people in Egypt increased and multiplied
until another king who had not known Joseph ruled over Egypt. He dealt craftily with
our race and forced our ancestors to abandon their infants so that they would die. At
this time Moses was born, and he was beautiful before God. For three months he was
brought up in his father's house; and when he was abandoned, Pharaoh's daughter
adopted him and brought him up as her own son. So Moses was instructed in all the
wisdom of the Egyptians and was powerful in his words and deeds.
'When he was forty years old, it came into his heart to visit his relatives, the Israelites.
When he saw one of them being wronged, he defended the oppressed man and
avenged him by striking down the Egyptian. He supposed that his kinsfolk would
understand that God through him was rescuing them, but they did not understand. The
next day he came to some of them as they were quarrelling and tried to reconcile them,
saying, "Men, you are brothers; why do you wrong each other?" But the man who was
wronging his neighbour pushed Moses aside, saying, "Who made you a ruler and a
judge over us? Do you want to kill me as you killed the Egyptian yesterday?" When he
heard this, Moses fled and became a resident alien in the land of Midian. There he
became the father of two sons.'

Let us turn our eyes to the Lord of glory
and enthrone him on our praises, saying:
Lord, have mercy.

Jesus, servant of God,
you bring justice to the peoples:
Lord, have mercy.

You love your people
with a faithful love:
Lord, have mercy.

You were lifted up on the cross
that you might draw all people to yourself:
Lord, have mercy.

You bring hope and joy
to those who walk in the valley and shadow of death:
Lord, have mercy.

You have liberated us
so that we might be free for ever:
Lord, have mercy.

You, O Christ, are our justice,
our peace and our redemption:
Lord, have mercy.

Eternal God, our heavenly Father,
who has given to us your children
an abiding citizenship in heaven,
and in the days of our pilgrimage,
a citizenship also upon earth:
Give us your aid,
as we journey to that heavenly city,
so faithfulfully to perform the duties
which befall us on our way,
that at the last we may be found worthy
to enter into your rest;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God, the Saviour of all,
you sent your bishop Willibrord
to proclaim the good news to many peoples
and confirm them in their faith:
help us also to witness to your steadfast love
by word and deed
so that your Church may increase
and grow strong in holiness;

May Christ, who has opened the kingdom of heaven,
bring us to reign with him in glory. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on Ephesians 2:19.

The closing sentence is from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer_,

The second collect (slight adapted) is from _Common Worship: Services
and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included
in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

Willibrord, first Archbishop of Utrecht, is one of the missionaries sent out by
the Anglo-Saxon Christians about a century after they had themselves been
Christianized by missionaries in the south and east of England from Rome and
the Continent, and in the north and west from the Celtic peoples of Scotland,
Ireland, and Wales.
Our information about Willibrord comes to us from the Venerable Bede
(History of the English Church and People, v. 10-11) and from a biography by
his younger kinsman Alcuin (20 May), Minister of Education under the
Emperor Charlemagne. Willibrord was born in Northumbria in England about
658, and studied in France and Ireland. In 690 he set out with 12 companions
to preach to the pagans of Frisia (a region roughly coextensive with the
province of Friesland in the Netherlands, including some adjacent territories
and the Frisian islands in the North Sea). His work was interrupted several
times by wars, and he left for a while to preach to the Danes instead. He died 7
November 739.