OREMUS: 5 November 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Nov 4 18:12:40 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, November 5, 2006
The Twenty-Second Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, Lover of our souls,
in Jesus, your Incarnate One and our Redeemer,
you have made us no longer strangers and sojourners,
but fellow citizens with the saints
and members of your household.

Happy are they whose way is blameless,*
 who walk in the law of the Lord!
Happy are they who observe his decrees*
 and seek him with all their hearts!
Who never do any wrong,*
 but always walk in his ways.
You laid down your commandments,*
 that we should fully keep them.
O that my ways were made so direct*
 that I might keep your statutes!
Then I should not be put to shame,*
 when I regard all your commandments.
I will thank you with an unfeigned heart,*
 when I have learned your righteous judgements.
I will keep your statutes;*
 do not utterly forsake me.

How shall the young cleanse their way?*
 By keeping to your words.
With my whole heart I seek you;*
 let me not stray from your commandments.
I treasure your promise in my heart,*
 that I may not sin against you.
Blessed are you, O Lord;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
With my lips will I recite*
 all the judgements of your mouth.
I have taken greater delight in the way of your decrees*
 than in all manner of riches.
I will meditate on your commandments*
 and give attention to your ways.
My delight is in your statutes;*
 I will not forget your word.

Deal bountifully with your servant,*
 that I may live and keep your word.
Open my eyes, that I may see*
 the wonders of your law.
I am a stranger here on earth;*
 do not hide your commandments from me.
My soul is consumed at all times*
 with longing for your judgements.
You have rebuked the insolent;*
 cursed are they who stray from your commandments!
Turn from me shame and rebuke,*
 for I have kept your decrees.
Even though rulers sit and plot against me,*
 I will meditate on your statutes.
For your decrees are my delight,*
 and they are my counsellors.

A Song of God's Assembled (Hebrews 12:22-24a,28-29)

We have come before God's holy mountain,
to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God.

We have come before countless angels making festival,
before the assembly of the firstborn citizens of heaven.

We have come before God, who is judge of all,
before the spirits of the just made perfect.

We have come before Jesus,
the mediator of the new covenant.

We are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken:
so let us give thanks and offer to God acceptable worship,

full of reverence and awe;
for our God is a consuming fire.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Ruth 2:10-14]:

Then Ruth fell prostrate, with her face to the ground,
and said to Boaz, 'Why have I found favour in your sight,
that you should take notice of me, when I am a
foreigner?' But he answered her, 'All that you have done
for your mother-in-law since the death of your husband
has been fully told me, and how you left your father and
mother and your native land and came to a people that you
did not know before. May the Lord reward you for your
deeds, and may you have a full reward from the Lord, the
God of Israel, under whose wings you have come for
refuge!' Then she said, 'May I continue to find favour in
your sight, my lord, for you have comforted me and spoken
kindly to your servant, even though I am not one of your
servants.'
At mealtime Boaz said to her, 'Come here, and eat some of
this bread, and dip your morsel in the sour wine.' So she
sat beside the reapers, and he heaped up for her some
parched grain. She ate until she was satisfied, and she
had some left over.

HYMN
Words: William Cowper, 1768
Tune: St. Bees

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h073.html

Hark, my soul, it is the Lord!
'Tis thy Savior, hear his Word;
Jesus speaks, and speaks to thee,
"Say, poor, sinner, lovest thou me?"

"I delivered thee when bound,
and, when bleeding, healed thy wound;
sought thee wandering, set thee right,
turned thy darkness into light.

"Can a woman's tender care
cease toward the child she bare?
Yes, she may forgetful be,
yet will I remember thee.

"Mine is an unchanging love,
higher than the heights above,
deeper than the depths beneath,
free and faithful, strong as death.

"Thou shalt see my glory soon,
when the work of grace is done;
partner of my throne shalt be:
say, poor sinner, lovest thou me?"

Lord, it is my chief complaint
that my love is weak and faint;
yet I love thee, and adore:
O for grace to love thee more!

SECOND READING [Luke 10:25-37]:

Just then a lawyer stood up to test Jesus. 'Teacher,' he said, 'what must I do to inherit
eternal life?' He said to him, 'What is written in the law? What do you read there?' He
answered, 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your
soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbour as
yourself.' And he said to him, 'You have given the right answer; do this, and you will
live.'
But wanting to justify himself, he asked Jesus, 'And who is my neighbour?' Jesus
replied, 'A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell into the hands of
robbers, who stripped him, beat him, and went away, leaving him half dead. Now by
chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him, he passed by on the
other side. So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on
the other side. But a Samaritan while travelling came near him; and when he saw him,
he was moved with pity. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, having poured oil
and wine on them. Then he put him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and
took care of him. The next day he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper,
and said, "Take care of him; and when I come back, I will repay you whatever more
you spend." Which of these three, do you think, was a neighbour to the man who fell
into the hands of the robbers?' He said, 'The one who showed him mercy.' Jesus said
to him, 'Go and do likewise.'

As we await the coming of the Lord
let us offer prayers to God
who bears the sins of many.

For our bishops,
for this holy gathering,
and for the people of God in every place.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For mercy, justice, and peace among all peoples.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For good weather,
abundant fruits of the earth
and peaceful times.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For our city and those who live in it
and for all those we love.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all those in danger and need:
the sick and the suffering,
prisoners, captives, and their families,
the hungry, homeless, and oppressed.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For those who rest in Christ and for all the dead.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For our deliverance from all affliction, strife, and need.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Lifting our voices with all creation,
let us offer ourselves and one another
to the living God through Christ.
To you, O Lord.

Living Lord,
you have made this day your own
and called us out of darkness into your marvellous light;
open the gates of righteousness
that your pilgrim people may enter
and be built into a living temple
on the cornerstone of our salvation,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

May Christ, who has opened the kingdom of heaven,
bring us to reign with him in glory. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on Ephesians 2:19.

The closing sentence is from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer_,