OREMUS: 4 November 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Nov 3 21:38:31 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, November 4, 2006

Blessed are you, Holy God,
your justice is without partiality
and your  mercy embraces all who live.
You have shown us through your Son
that through love of you and our neighbor,
hatred may yield to forgiveness
and quarrels give way to reconciliation.

I will exalt you, O God my King,*
 and bless your name for ever and ever.
Every day will I bless you*
 and praise your name for ever and ever.
Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 there is no end to his greatness.
One generation shall praise your works to another*
 and shall declare your power.
I will ponder the glorious splendour of your majesty*
 and all your marvellous works.
They shall speak of the might of your wondrous acts,*
 and I will tell of your greatness.
They shall publish the remembrance
   of your great goodness;*
 they shall sing of your righteous deeds.
The Lord is gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
The Lord is loving to everyone*
 and his compassion is over all his works.
All your works praise you, O Lord,*
 and your faithful servants bless you.
They make known the glory of your kingdom*
 and speak of your power;
That the peoples may know of your power*
 and the glorious splendour of your kingdom.
Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom;*
 your dominion endures throughout all ages.
The Lord is faithful in all his words*
 and merciful in all his deeds.
The Lord upholds all those who fall;*
 he lifts up those who are bowed down.
The eyes of all wait upon you, O Lord,*
 and you give them their food in due season.
You open wide your hand*
 and satisfy the needs of every living creature.
The Lord is righteous in all his ways*
 and loving in all his works.
The Lord is near to those who call upon him,*
 to all who call upon him faithfully.
He fulfils the desire of those who fear him,*
 he hears their cry and helps them.
The Lord preserves all those who love him,*
 but he destroys all the wicked.
My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord;*
 let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever.

The Song of Christ's Glory (Philippians 2:5-11)

Christ Jesus was in the form of God,
 but he did not cling to equality with God.

He emptied himself, taking the form of a servant,
 and was born in our human likeness.

Being found in human form he humbled himself,
 and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.

Therefore God has highly exalted him,
 and bestowed on him the name above every name.

That at the name of Jesus, every knee should bow,
 in heaven and on earth and under the earth;

And every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
 to the glory of God the Father.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Ruth 2:1-9]:

Now Naomi had a kinsman on her husband's side, a
prominent rich man, of the family of Elimelech, whose
name was Boaz. And Ruth the Moabite said to Naomi, 'Let
me go to the field and glean among the ears of grain,
behind someone in whose sight I may find favour.' She
said to her, 'Go, my daughter.' So she went. She came and
gleaned in the field behind the reapers. As it happened,
she came to the part of the field belonging to Boaz, who
was of the family of Elimelech. Just then Boaz came from
Bethlehem. He said to the reapers, 'The Lord be with
you.' They answered, 'The Lord bless you.' Then Boaz said
to his servant who was in charge of the reapers, 'To whom
does this young woman belong?' The servant who was in
charge of the reapers answered, 'She is the Moabite who
came back with Naomi from the country of Moab. She said,
"Please let me glean and gather among the sheaves behind
the reapers." So she came, and she has been on her feet
from early this morning until now, without resting even
for a moment.'
Then Boaz said to Ruth, 'Now listen, my daughter, do not
go to glean in another field or leave this one, but keep
close to my young women. Keep your eyes on the field that
is being reaped, and follow behind them. I have ordered
the young men not to bother you. If you get thirsty, go
to the vessels and drink from what the young men have
drawn.'

HYMN
Words: Elizabeth Cecelia Douglas Clephane (1830-1869), 1868
Tune: St. Christopher, Beneath the Cross

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b093.html

Beneath the cross of Jesus
I fain would take my stand,
the shadow of a mighty rock
within a weary land,
A home within a wilderness,
a rest upon the way,
from the burning of the noontide heat
and the burden of the day.

O safe and happy shelter!
O refuge tried and sweet!
O trysting-place where heaven's love
and heaven's justice meet!
As to the exalted patriarch
that wondrous dream was given,
so seems my Savior's cross to me
a ladder up to heaven.

There lies beneath its shadow,
but on the farther side,
the darkness of an open grave
that gapes both deep and wide;
and there between us stands the cross,
two arms outstretched to save,
like a watchman to guard the way
from that eternal grave.

Upon that cross of Jesus
mine eyes at times can see
the very dying form of one
who suffered there for me;
and from my stricken heart, with tears,
two wonders I confess:
the wonders of redeeming love,
and my own worthlessness.

I take, O cross, thy shadow
for my abiding place;
I ask no other sunshine than
the sunshine of his face;
content to let the world go by,
to know no gain nor loss,
my sinful self my only shame,
my glory all: the cross.

SECOND READING [Romans 3:21-31]:

But now, irrespective of law, the righteousness of God has been disclosed, and is
attested by the law and the prophets, the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus
Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction, since all have sinned and fall
short of the glory of God; they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the
redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a sacrifice of atonement
by his blood, effective through faith. He did this to show his righteousness, because in
his divine forbearance he had passed over the sins previously committed; it was to
prove at the present time that he himself is righteous and that he justifies the one who
has faith in Jesus.
Then what becomes of boasting? It is excluded. By what law? By that of works? No,
but by the law of faith. For we hold that a person is justified by faith apart from works
prescribed by the law. Or is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles
also? Yes, of Gentiles also, since God is one; and he will justify the circumcised on the
ground of faith and the uncircumcised through that same faith. Do we then overthrow
the law by this faith? By no means! On the contrary, we uphold the law.

Beginning and End of all things,
we bless you for the present that is ever yielding
to your new heaven and new earth.

For all the means of grace,
we praise you, O Lord.

For every prompting of your Spirit
we praise you, O Lord.

We yield our cares to your unceasing mercy:
Attend the sick and the suffering,
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Touch the dying:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Claim the newborn:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Shelter the homeless:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Sing in the fearful:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Chasten the arrogant and powerful:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Lift up the lowly:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Center the Church,
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Grant peace to Jerusalem and every people:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Shape our lives by the mystery
of Christ crucified, risen and interceding for us:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Let your love, O Lord, be the bias of my soul,
the natural spring of my heart
and the one guide of my life.
Teach me to love your commandments
and to walk in them all my days;
for your own name's sake. Amen.

May the coming of Christ in glory find us
ever watchful in prayer,
strong in truth and love,
and faithful in the breaking of the bread.
Then, at last, all peoples will be free,
and all divisions healed. Amen.

The closing prayer use phrases from a prayer in _Book of Common
Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.