OREMUS: 3 November 2006

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Fri Nov 3 21:38:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, November 3, 2006
Richard Hooker, Priest, Anglican Apologist, Teacher of the Faith, 1600

Blessed are you, Holy God,
your justice is without partiality
and your mercy embraces all who live.
You have shown us through your Son
that through love of you and our neighbor,
hatred may yield to forgiveness
and quarrels give way to reconciliation.

Give the king your justice, O God,*
  and your righteousness to the king’s son;
That he may rule your people righteously*
  and the poor with justice;
That the mountains may bring prosperity to the people,*
  and the little hills bring righteousness.
He shall defend the needy among the people;*
  he shall rescue the poor and crush the oppressor.
He shall live as long as the sun and moon endure,*
  from one generation to another.
He shall come down like rain upon the mown field,*
  like showers that water the earth.
In his time shall the righteous flourish;*
  there shall be abundance of peace
    till the moon shall be no more.
He shall rule from sea to sea,*
  and from the River to the ends of the earth.
His foes shall bow down before him,*
  and his enemies lick the dust.
The kings of Tarshish and of the isles shall pay tribute,*
  and the kings of Arabia and Saba offer gifts.
All kings shall bow down before him,*
  and all the nations do him service.
For he shall deliver the poor who cries out in distress,*
  and the oppressed who has no helper.
He shall have pity on the lowly and poor;*
  he shall preserve the lives of the needy.
He shall redeem their lives from oppression and violence,*
  and dear shall their blood be in his sight.
Long may he live,
    and may there be given to him gold from Arabia;*
  may prayer be made for him always,
    and may they bless him all the day long.
May there be abundance of grain on the earth,
    growing thick even on the hilltops;*
  may its fruit flourish like Lebanon,
    and its grain like grass upon the earth.
May his name remain for ever
    and be established as long as the sun endures;*
  may all the nations bless themselves in him
    and call him blessèd.
Blessèd be the Lord God, the God of Israel,*
  who alone does wondrous deeds!
And blessèd be his glorious name for ever!*
  and may all the earth be filled with his glory.
    Amen. Amen.

A Song of the Righteous (Wisdom 3:1,2a,3b-8)

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God
  and no torment will ever touch them.

In the eyes of the foolish, they seem to have died;
  but they are at peace.

For though, in the sight of others, they were punished,
  their hope is of immortality.

Having been disciplined a little,
  they will receive great good,
  because God tested them and found them worthy.

Like gold in the furnace, God tried them
  and, like a sacrificial burnt offering, accepted them.

In the time of their visitation, they will shine forth
  and will run like sparks through the stubble.

They will govern nations and rule over peoples
  and God will reign over them for ever.

FIRST READING [Ruth 1:18-22]:

When Naomi saw that she was determined to go with her, she said no more to her.

So the two of them went on until they came to Bethlehem. When they came to
Bethlehem, the whole town was stirred because of them; and the women said,
'Is this Naomi?' She said to them,
'Call me no longer Naomi,
call me Mara,
for the Almighty has dealt bitterly with me.
I went away full,
but the Lord has brought me back empty;
why call me Naomi
when the Lord has dealt harshly with me,
and the Almighty has brought calamity upon me?'

So Naomi returned together with Ruth the Moabite, her daughter-in-law, who
came back with her from the country of Moab. They came to Bethlehem at the
beginning of the barley harvest.

HYMN
Words: John Byrom (1691-1763)
Tune: Maria, jung und zart

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t698.html

My spirit longs for thee,
within my troubled breast,
though I unworthy be
of so divine a Guest.

Of so divine a Guest
unworthy though I be,
yet has my heart no rest
unless it come from thee.

Unless it come from thee,
in vain I look around;
in all that I can see
no rest is to be found.

No rest is to be found
but in thy blessed love;
O let my wish be crowned
and send it from above.

SECOND READING [Hebrews 9:1-12]:

Now even the first covenant had regulations for worship and an earthly
sanctuary. For a tent was constructed, the first one, in which were the
lampstand, the table, and the bread of the Presence; this is called the
Holy Place. Behind the second curtain was a tent called the Holy of Holies.
In it stood the golden altar of incense and the ark of the covenant
overlaid on all sides with gold, in which there were a golden urn holding
the manna, and Aaron's rod that budded, and the tablets of the covenant;
above it were the cherubim of glory overshadowing the mercy-seat. Of these
things we cannot speak now in detail.

Such preparations having been made, the priests go continually into the
first tent to carry out their ritual duties; but only the high priest goes
into the second, and he but once a year, and not without taking the blood
that he offers for himself and for the sins committed unintentionally by
the people. By this the Holy Spirit indicates that the way into the
sanctuary has not yet been disclosed as long as the first tent is still
standing. This is a symbol of the present time, during which gifts and
sacrifices are offered that cannot perfect the conscience of the
worshipper, but deal only with food and drink and various baptisms,
regulations for the body imposed until the time comes to set things right.

But when Christ came as a high priest of the good things that have come,
then through the greater and perfect tent (not made with hands, that is,
not of this creation), he entered once for all into the Holy Place, not
with the blood of goats and calves, but with his own blood, thus obtaining
eternal redemption.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
God of all time,
we bless you for the gift of this day
and for our hope in Christ Jesus.
In the midst of all that demands our attention,
free us to love you with all our hearts
and to love the world with your mercy and justice.

Let our love be genuine:
Kyrie eleison

Let our affections be tempered with holiness:
Kyrie eleison

Let our desires be shaped by the vision
of a new heaven and a new earth:
Kyrie eleison

Let our actions reflect the balance of love
for your reign in all things:
Kyrie eleison

Let our perceptions and feelings be ordered
by the hope we have in Christ:
Kyrie eleison

Your kingdom come, O Lord,
with deliverance for the needy,
with peace for the righteous,
with overflowing blessing for all nations,
with glory, honour and praise
    for the only Saviour,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

May the coming of Christ in glory find us
ever watchful in prayer,
strong in truth and love,
and faithful in the breaking of the bread.
Then, at last, all peoples will be free,
and all divisions healed. Amen.

The psalms are from Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The closing prayer use phrases from a prayer in Book of Common Worship, ©
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.