OREMUS: 1 June 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed May 31 23:04:49 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, June 1, 2006
Justin, Martyr at Rome, c.165

Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation,
to you be praise and glory for ever.
Your living Word brings light out of darkness
and daily your Spirit renews the face of the earth.
Christ, the true Lamb, his passion accomplished,
has been raised to the right hand of your majesty on high.
The pioneer of our faith has opened the way to heaven
and sends on us your promised Spirit.
Pour upon us the riches of your grace
that we, the first fruits of your new creation,
may bring forth the fruits of the Spirit
and reveal your glory in all the world.

If the Lord had not been on our side,*
 let Israel now say;
If the Lord had not been on our side,*
 when enemies rose up against us;
Then would they have swallowed us up alive*
 in their fierce anger towards us;
Then would the waters have overwhelmed us*
 and the torrent gone over us;
Then would the raging waters*
 have gone right over us.
Blessed be the Lord!*
 he has not given us over to be a prey for their teeth.
We have escaped like a bird
   from the snare of the fowler;*
 the snare is broken and we have escaped.
Our help is in the name of the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.

Psalm 129

'Greatly have they oppressed me since my youth',*
 let Israel now say;
'Greatly have they oppressed me since my youth,*
 but they have not prevailed against me.'
Those who plow ploughed upon my back*
 and made their furrows long.
The Lord, the Righteous One,*
 has cut the cords of the wicked.
Let them be put to shame and thrown back,*
 all those who are enemies of Zion.
Let them be like grass upon the housetops,*
 which withers before it can be plucked;
Which does not fill the hand of the reaper,*
 nor the bosom of him who binds the sheaves;
So that those who go by say not so much as,
   'The Lord prosper you.*
 We wish you well in the name of the Lord.'

Psalm 130

Out of the depths have I called to you, O Lord;
   Lord, hear my voice;*
 let your ears consider well the voice of my supplication.
If you, Lord, were to note what is done amiss,*
 O Lord, who could stand?
For there is forgiveness with you;*
 therefore you shall be feared.
I wait for the Lord; my soul waits for him;*
 in his word is my hope.
My soul waits for the Lord,
   more than the night-watch for the morning,*
 more than the night-watch for the morning.
O Israel, wait for the Lord,*
 for with the Lord there is mercy;
With him there is plenteous redemption,*
 and he shall redeem Israel from all their sins.

A Song of Tobit (Tobit 13:1,3-6a)

Blessed be God, who lives for ever,
whose reign endures throughout all ages.

Declare God's praise before the nations,
you who are the children of Israel.

For if our God has scattered you among them,
there too has he shown you his greatness.

Exalt him in the sight of the living,
because he is our Lord and God and our Father for ever.

Though God punishes you for your wickedness,
mercy will be shown to you all.

God will gather you from every nation,
from wherever you have been scattered.

When you turn to the Lord
with all your heart and soul,
God will hide his face from you no more.

See what the Lord has done for you
and give thanks with a loud voice.

Praise the Lord of righteousness
and exalt the King of the ages.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Micah 3:1-8]:

And I said:
Listen, you heads of Jacob
   and rulers of the house of Israel!
Should you not know justice?
   you who hate the good and love the evil,
who tear the skin off my people,
   and the flesh off their bones;
who eat the flesh of my people,
   flay their skin off them,
break their bones in pieces,
   and chop them up like meat in a kettle,
   like flesh in a cauldron.

Then they will cry to the Lord,
   but he will not answer them;
he will hide his face from them at that time,
   because they have acted wickedly.

Thus says the Lord concerning the prophets
   who lead my people astray,
who cry 'Peace'
   when they have something to eat,
but declare war against those
   who put nothing into their mouths.
Therefore it shall be night to you, without vision,
   and darkness to you, without revelation.
The sun shall go down upon the prophets,
   and the day shall be black over them;
the seers shall be disgraced,
   and the diviners put to shame;
they shall all cover their lips,
   for there is no answer from God.
But as for me, I am filled with power,
   with the spirit of the Lord,
   and with justice and might,
to declare to Jacob his transgression
   and to Israel his sin.

For another Biblical reading,
2 Corinthians 3:12-end

HYMN
Words: Carl P. Daw, Jr. (c)
Tune: Jerusalem
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o101.html

O day of peace that dimly shines
through all our hopes and prayers and dreams,
guide us to justice, truth, and love,
delivered from our selfish schemes.
May the swords of hate fall from our hands,
our hearts from envy find release,
till by God's grace our warring world
shall see Christ's promised reign of peace.

Then shall the wolf dwell with the lamb,
nor shall the fierce devour the small;
as beasts and cattle calmly graze,
a little child shall lead them all.
Then enemies shall learn to love,
all creatures find their true accord;
the hope of peace shall be fulfilled,
for all the earth shall know the Lord.

We pray for God to fill us with his Spirit.

Generous God, we thank you for the power of your Holy Spirit.
We ask that we may be strengthened to serve you better.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the wisdom of your Holy Spirit.
We ask you to make us wise to understand your will.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the peace of your Holy Spirit.
We ask you to keep us confident of your love,
wherever you call us.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the healing of your Holy Spirit.
We ask you to bring reconciliation and wholeness
where there is division, sickness and sorrow.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the gifts of your Holy Spirit.
We ask you to equip us for the work
which you have given us.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the fruit of your Holy Spirit.
We ask you to reveal in our lives the love of Jesus.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the breath of your Holy Spirit,
given by the risen Lord.
We ask you to keep the whole Church,
living and departed,
in the joy of eternal life.
We pray for the Diocese of  Cuernavaca , Mexico,
The Rt Revd Ramiro Delgado Vera, Bishop.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

Come, Holy Spirit!
Rain upon our dry and dusty lives.
Wash away our sin and heal our wounded spirits.
Kindle within us the fire of your love
to burn away our apathy.
With your warmth bend our rigidity,
and guide our wandering feet. Amen.

God our redeemer,
who through the folly of the cross
taught your martyr Justin
the surpassing knowledge of Jesus Christ:
remove from us every kind of error
that we, like him, may be firmly grounded in the faith,
and make your name known to all peoples;

Rejoicing in God's new creation,

God of power,
may the boldness of your Spirit transform us,
may the gentleness of your Spirit lead us,
and may the gifts of your Spirit equip us
to serve and worship you now and always. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from _Common
WorshipServices and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council,
2000.

The closing sentence is from in _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Hymn (c) 1982 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn, contact:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com

Justin was born around 100 (both his birth and death dates are approximate) at
Flavia Neapolis (ancient Shechem, modern Nablus) in Samaria (the middle
portion of Israel, between Galilee and Judea) of pagan Greek parents. He was
brought up with a good education in rhetoric, poetry, and history. He studied
various schools of philosophy in Alexandria and Ephesus , joining himself first
to Stoicism, then Pythagoreanism, then Platonism, looking for answers to his
questions. While at Ephesus, he was impressed by the steadfastness of the
Christian martyrs, and by the personality of an aged Christian man whom he
met by chance while walking on the seashore. This man spoke to him about
Jesus as the fulfilment of the promises made through the Jewish prophets.
Justin was overwhelmed. "Straightway a flame was kindled in my soul," he
writes, "and a love of the prophets and those who are friends of Christ
possessed me." Justin became a Christian, but he continued to wear the cloak
that was the characteristic uniform of the professional teacher of philosophy.
His position was that pagan philosophy, especially Platonism, is not simply
wrong, but is a partial grasp of the truth, and serves as "a schoolmaster to
bring us to Christ." He engaged in debates and disputations with
non-Christians of all varieties, pagans, Jews, and heretics. He opened a school
of Christian philosophy and accepted students, first at Ephesus and then later at
Rome. There he engaged the Cynic philosopher Crescens in debate, and soon
after was arrested on the charge of practicing an anauthorized religion. (It is
suggested that Crescens lost the debate and denounced Justin to the authorities
out of spite.) He was tried before the Roman prefect Rusticus, refused to
renounce Christianity, and was put to death by beheading along with six of his
students, one of them a woman. A record of the trial, probably authentic, is
preserved, known as The Acts of Justin the Martyr. [James Kiefer]