OREMUS: 29 May 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun May 28 18:49:55 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Monday, May 29, 2006

Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation,
to you be praise and glory for ever.
Your living Word brings light out of darkness
and daily your Spirit renews the face of the earth.
Christ, the true Lamb, his passion accomplished,
has been raised to the right hand of your majesty on high.
The pioneer of our faith has opened the way to heaven
and sends on us your promised Spirit.
Pour upon us the riches of your grace
that we, the first fruits of your new creation,
may bring forth the fruits of the Spirit
and reveal your glory in all the world.

I was glad when they said to me,*
 'Let us go to the house of the Lord.'
Now our feet are standing*
 within your gates, O Jerusalem.
Jerusalem is built as a city*
 that is at unity with itself.
To which the tribes go up, the tribes of the Lord,*
 the assembly of Israel, to praise the name of the Lord.
For there are the thrones of judgement,*
 the thrones of the house of David.
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:*
 'May they prosper who love you.
'Peace be within your walls*
 and quietness within your towers.
'For my family and companions' sake,*
 I pray for your prosperity.
'Because of the house of the Lord our God,*
 I will seek to do you good.'

Psalm 125

Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion,*
 which cannot be moved, but stands fast for ever.
The hills stand about Jerusalem;*
 so does the Lord stand round about his people,
   from this time forth for evermore.
The sceptre of the wicked shall not hold sway
   over the land allotted to the just,*
 so that the just shall not put their hands to evil.
Show your goodness, O Lord, to those who are good*
 and to those who are true of heart.
As for those who turn aside to crooked ways,
   the Lord will lead them away with the evildoers;*
 but peace be upon Israel.

Psalm 126

When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion,*
 then were we like those who dream.
Then was our mouth filled with laughter,*
 and our tongue with shouts of joy.
Then they said among the nations,*
 'The Lord has done great things for them.'
The Lord has done great things for us,*
 and we are glad indeed.
Restore our fortunes, O Lord,*
 like the watercourses of the Negev.
Those who sowed with tears*
 will reap with songs of joy.
Those who go out weeping, carrying the seed,*
 will come again with joy, shouldering their sheaves.

A Song of Judith (Judith 16:13-16)

I will sing a new song to my God,
for you are great and glorious,
truly strong and invincible.

May your whole creation serve you,
for you spoke and all things came to be.

You sent forth your Spirit and they were formed,
for no one can resist your voice.

Mountains and seas are stirred to their depths;
at your presence rocks shall melt like wax.

But to those who fear you,
you continue to show mercy.

No sacrifice, however fragrant, can please you,
but whoever fears the Lord
shall stand in your sight for ever.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Wisdom 1:1-7]:

Love righteousness, you rulers of the earth,
think of the Lord in goodness
and seek him with sincerity of heart;
because he is found by those who do not put him to the test,
and manifests himself to those who do not distrust him.
For perverse thoughts separate people from God,
and when his power is tested, it exposes the foolish;
because wisdom will not enter a deceitful soul,
or dwell in a body enslaved to sin.
For a holy and disciplined spirit will flee from deceit,
and will leave foolish thoughts behind,
and will be ashamed at the approach of unrighteousness.

For wisdom is a kindly spirit,
but will not free blasphemers from the guilt of their words;
because God is witness of their inmost feelings,
and a true observer of their hearts, and a hearer of their tongues.
Because the spirit of the Lord has filled the world,
and that which holds all things together knows what is said.

For another Biblical reading,
Galatians 5:16-25

HYMN
Words: Andrew Reed, 1829
Tune: Nun danket all
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s293.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s293.html

Spirit divine, attend our prayers,
and make this house thy home;
descend with all thy gracious powers,
O come, great Spirit, come!

Come as the light; to us reveal
our emptiness and woe,
and lead us in those paths of life
whereon the righteous go.

Come as the fire and purge our hearts
like sacrificial flame;
let our whole soul an offering be
to our Redeemer's Name.

Come as the dove, and spread thy wings,
the wings of peaceful love;
and let thy Church on earth become
blest as the Church above.

Come as the dew and sweetly bless
this consecrated hour;
may barrenness rejoice to own
thy fertilizing power.

Spirit divine, attend our prayers,
make a lost world thy home;
descend with all thy gracious powers;
O come, great Spirit, come!

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
We pray for God to fill us with his Spirit.

Generous God, we thank you for the power of your Holy Spirit.
We ask that we may be strengthened to serve you better.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the wisdom of your Holy Spirit.
We ask you to make us wise to understand your will.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the peace of your Holy Spirit.
We ask you to keep us confident of your love,
wherever you call us.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the healing of your Holy Spirit.
We ask you to bring reconciliation and wholeness
where there is division, sickness and sorrow.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the gifts of your Holy Spirit.
We ask you to equip us for the work
which you have given us.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the fruit of your Holy Spirit.
We ask you to reveal in our lives the love of Jesus.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the breath of your Holy Spirit,
given by the risen Lord.
We ask you to keep the whole Church,
living and departed,
in the joy of eternal life.
We pray especially for the Diocese of Coventry, England,
The Rt Revd Colin James Bennetts, Bishop.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

God of our joy and gladness,
hear our prayer for the peace of this world
and bring us at last,
with all our companions in faith,
to the peace of that city where you live and reign,
Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
now and to all eternity. Amen.

Lord God,
we give you thank for your servant Jackson Kemper,
who spread the Gospel throughout the western United States:
Grant that the Church may always be faithful to its mission,
and have the vision, courage, and perseverance
to make known to all people the Good News of Jesus Christ;
who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

God of power,
may the boldness of your Spirit transform us,
may the gentleness of your Spirit lead us,
and may the gifts of your Spirit equip us
to serve and worship you now and always. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from _Common
WorshipServices and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council,
2000.

The closing sentence is from in _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.