OREMUS: 27 May 2006

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Fri May 26 20:22:15 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, May 27, 2006

Blessed are you, almighty God,
through Jesus Christ the King of glory.
Born of a woman,
he came to our rescue.
Dying for us,
he trampled death and conquered sin.
By the glory of his resurrection
he opened the way to life eternal
and by his ascension,
gave us the sure hope
that where he is we may also be.

An <http://www.oremus.org/eastocan.html>opening canticle may be sung.

Psalm 93

The Lord is king; he has put on splendid apparel;*
  the Lord has put on his apparel
    and girded himself with strength.
He has made the whole world so sure*
  that it cannot be moved;
Ever since the world began,
    your throne has been established;*
  you are from everlasting.
The waters have lifted up, O Lord,
    the waters have lifted up their voice;*
  the waters have lifted up their pounding waves.
Mightier than the sound of many waters,
    mightier than the breakers of the sea,*
  mightier is the Lord who dwells on high.
Your testimonies are very sure,*
  and holiness adorns your house, O Lord,
    for ever and for evermore.

Psalm 97

The Lord is king; let the earth rejoice;*
  let the multitude of the isles be glad.
Clouds and darkness are round about him,*
  righteousness and justice
    are the foundations of his throne.
A fire goes before him*
  and burns up his enemies on every side.
His lightnings light up the world;*
  the earth sees it and is afraid.
The mountains melt like wax
    at the presence of the Lord,*
  at the presence of the Lord of the whole earth.
The heavens declare his righteousness,*
  and all the peoples see his glory.
Confounded be all who worship carved images
    and delight in false gods!*
  Bow down before him, all you gods.
Zion hears and is glad and the cities of Judah rejoice,*
  because of your judgements, O Lord.
For you are the Lord: most high over all the earth;*
  you are exalted far above all gods.
The Lord loves those who hate evil;*
  he preserves the lives of his saints
    and delivers them from the hand of the wicked.
Light has sprung up for the righteous,*
  and joyful gladness for those who are true-hearted.
Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous,*
  and give thanks to his holy name.

A Song of Ezekiel (Ezekiel 36:24-26,28b)

I will take you from the nations,
and gather you from all the countries.

I will sprinkle clean water upon you,
and you shall be clean from all your impurities.

A new heart I will give you,
and put a new spirit within you,

And I will remove from your body the heart of stone
and give you a heart of flesh.

You shall be my people,
and I will be your God.

  and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Jeremiah 31:31-34]:

The days are surely coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant
with the house of Israel and the house of Judah. It will not be like the
covenant that I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to
bring them out of the land of Egypt a covenant that they broke, though I
was their husband, says the Lord. But this is the covenant that I will make
with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put my law
within them, and I will write it on their hearts; and I will be their God,
and they shall be my people. No longer shall they teach one another, or say
to each other, 'Know the Lord', for they shall all know me, from the least
of them to the greatest, says the Lord; for I will forgive their iniquity,
and remember their sin no more.

For another Biblical reading,
<http://bible.oremus.org/?version=nrsvae&vnum=no&passage=Luke+4:14-21>Luke
4:14-21

HYMN

Words: Anonymous, based on Psalm 46
Tune: Be still and know

<http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b012.html>http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b012.html

Be still and know that I am God,
be still and know that I am God,
be still and know that I am God.

I am the Lord that healeth thee,
I am the Lord that healeth thee,
I am the Lord that healeth thee.

In thee, O Lord, I put my trust,
In thee, O Lord, I put my trust,
In thee, O Lord, I put my trust.

The <http://www.oremus.org/liturgy/ccp/canticle.cgi?38>Benedictus
(Morning), the
<http://www.oremus.org/liturgy/ccp/canticle.cgi?37>Magnificat (Evening), or
<http://www.oremus.org/liturgy/ccp/canticle.cgi?39>Nunc dimittis (Night)
may follow.

Prayer:

Christ has gathered the church in unity through the Spirit.
With sure hope, let us pray.

Maker of all things,
in the beginning you created heaven and earth.
In the fullness of time, you restored all things in Christ.
Renew our world, in this day, with your grace and mercy.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Life of the world,
you breathed life into the flesh you created.
Now, by your Spirit, breathe new life into the children of earth.
Turn hatred into love, sorrow into joy, and war into peace.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Lover of concord,
you desire the unity of all Christians.
Set aflame the whole Church with the fire of your Spirit.
Unite us to stand in the world as a sign of your love.
Lord, hear our prayer.

God of compassion,
through your Spirit you supply every human need.
Heal the sick, and comfort the distressed.
Befriend the friendless, and help the helpless.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Source of peace,
your Spirit restores our anxious spirits.
In our labor, give us rest;
in our temptation, strength;
in our sadness, consolation.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Blessed are you, Lord God, King of the universe: in awe and wonder we bow
before the mystery of your power and might, for you are Lord for ever and
ever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

- The <http://www.oremus.org/lp.html>Lord's Prayer

God of power,
may the boldness of your Spirit transform us,
may the gentleness of your Spirit lead us,
and may the gifts of your Spirit equip us
to serve and worship you now and always. Amen.

----------
The psalms are from Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of

The canticle, the opening thanksgiving and the invitation to the Lord's
Prayer from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition, copyright ©
The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Common WorshipServices
and Prayers for the Church of England, material from which is included in
this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The intercession (response by Stephen Benner) and the closing sentence are
from in New Patterns for Worship, copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.