OREMUS: 26 May 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu May 25 17:00:00 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, May 26, 2006
Augustine, first Archbishop of Canterbury, 605

Blessed are you, almighty God,
through Jesus Christ the King of glory.
Born of a woman,
he came to our rescue.
Dying for us,
he trampled death and conquered sin.
By the glory of his resurrection
he opened the way to life eternal
and by his ascension,
gave us the sure hope
that where he is we may also be.

How dear to me is your dwelling, O Lord of hosts!*
 My soul has a desire and longing
   for the courts of the Lord;
   my heart and my flesh rejoice in the living God.
The sparrow has found her a house
   and the swallow a nest
   where she may lay her young;*
 by the side of your altars, O Lord of hosts,
   my King and my God.
Happy are they who dwell in your house!*
 they will always be praising you.
Happy are the people whose strength is in you!*
 whose hearts are set on the pilgrims' way.
Those who go through the desolate valley
   will find it a place of springs,*
 for the early rains have covered it with pools of water.
They will climb from height to height,*
 and the God of gods will reveal himself in Zion.
Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer;*
 hearken, O God of Jacob.
Behold our defender, O God;*
 and look upon the face of your anointed.
For one day in your courts
   is better than a thousand in my own room,*
 and to stand at the threshold of the house of my God
   than to dwell in the tents of the wicked.
For the Lord God is both sun and shield;*
 he will give grace and glory;
No good thing will the Lord withhold*
 from those who walk with integrity.
O Lord of hosts,*
 happy are they who put their trust in you!

 before the gods I will sing your praise.
I will bow down towards your holy temple
   and praise your name,*
 because of your love and faithfulness;
For you have glorified your name*
 and your word above all things.
When I called, you answered me;*
 you increased my strength within me.
All the kings of the earth will praise you, O Lord,*
 when they have heard the words of your mouth.
They will sing of the ways of the Lord,*
 that great is the glory of the Lord.
Though the Lord be high, he cares for the lowly;*
 he perceives the haughty from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
   you keep me safe;*
 you stretch forth your hand
   against the fury of my enemies;
   your right hand shall save me.
The Lord will make good his purpose for me;*
 O Lord, your love endures for ever;
   do not abandon the works of your hands.

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3:16; 6:15-16)
Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.

He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.

Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.

This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,

Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.

To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

READING [John 14:12-29]:

Jesus said, 'Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes
in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will
do greater works than these, because I am going to the
Father. I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that
the Father may be glorified in the Son. If in my name you
ask me for anything, I will do it.
'If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I
will ask the Father, and he will give you another
Advocate, to be with you for ever. This is the Spirit of
truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither
sees him nor knows him. You know him, because he abides
with you, and he will be in you.
'I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you. In a
little while the world will no longer see me, but you
will see me; because I live, you also will live. On that
day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me,
and I in you. They who have my commandments and keep them
are those who love me; and those who love me will be
loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal
myself to them.' Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, 'Lord,
how is it that you will reveal yourself to us, and not to
the world?' Jesus answered him, 'Those who love me will
keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will
come to them and make our home with them. Whoever does
not love me does not keep my words; and the word that you
hear is not mine, but is from the Father who sent me.
'I have said these things to you while I am still with
you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father
will send in my name, will teach you everything, and
remind you of all that I have said to you. Peace I leave
with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as
the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and
do not let them be afraid. You heard me say to you, "I am
going away, and I am coming to you." If you loved me, you
would rejoice that I am going to the Father, because the
Father is greater than I. And now I have told you this
before it occurs, so that when it does occur, you may
believe.'

For another Biblical reading,
Ephesians 4:7-16

HYMN
Words: Edwin Hatch, 1878
Tune: Trentham
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b185.html

Breathe on me, Breath of God,
fill me with life anew,
that I may love what thou dost love,
and do what thou wouldst do.

Breathe on me, Breath of God,
until my heart is pure,
until my will is one with thine,
to do and to endure.

Breathe on me, Breath of God,
till I am wholly thine,
until this earthly part of me
glows with thy fire divine.

Breathe on me, Breath of God,
so shall I never die;
but live with thee the perfect life
of thine eternity.

Come, Holy Spirit, Creator,
and renew the earth.
Come, Holy Spirit, come.

Come, Holy Spirit, Counselor,
and touch our lips that we may proclaim your Word.
Come, Holy Spirit, come.

Come, Holy Spirit, power from on high,
make us channels of peace and ministers of healing.
Come, Holy Spirit, come.

Come, Holy Spirit, Breath of God,
give life to the dry bones around us,
and make us a living people, holy and free.
Come, Holy Spirit, come.

Come, Holy Spirit, Wisdom and Truth,
strengthen us to be bold in faith.
Come, Holy Spirit, come.

God our Creator,
earth has many languages,
but your gospel proclaims your love to all nations
in one heavenly tongue:
Make us messengers of the good news
that, through the power of your Spirit,
all the world may unite in one song of praise;
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Everliving God,
you strengthened your servant Augustine,
though he was fearful and laden with doubt,
to lay the foundations of your Church
among the English people.
Grant us always to show forth the reason
for all your gifts so freely bestowed upon us,
by sharing with all peoples and races
your infinite gift of salvation;

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

God of power,
may the boldness of your Spirit transform us,
may the gentleness of your Spirit lead us,
and may the gifts of your Spirit equip us
to serve and worship you now and always. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from _Common
WorshipServices and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council,
2000.

The intercession (response by Stephen Benner) and the closing sentence are
from in _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The first collect is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox
Press.

The second collect is from _For All the Saints_, (c) General Synod of the Anglican Church of
Canada, 1994.