OREMUS: 25 May 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed May 24 20:32:22 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, May 25, 2006
The Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ

Blessed are you, almighty God,
through Jesus Christ the King of glory.
Born of a woman,
he came to our rescue.
Dying for us,
he trampled death and conquered sin.
By the glory of his resurrection
he opened the way to life eternal
and by his ascension,
gave us the sure hope
that where he is we may also be.

Lord, who may dwell in your tabernacle?*
 who may abide upon your holy hill?
Whoever leads a blameless life and does what is right,*
 who speaks the truth from his heart.
There is no guile upon his tongue;
   he does no evil to his friend;*
 he does not heap contempt upon his neighbour.
In his sight the wicked is rejected,*
 but he honours those who fear the Lord.
He has sworn to do no wrong*
 and does not take back his word.
He does not give his money in hope of gain,*
 nor does he take a bribe against the innocent.
Whoever does these things*
 shall never be overthrown.

Psalm 24

The earth is the Lord's and all that is in it,*
 the world and all who dwell therein.
For it is he who founded it upon the seas*
 and made it firm upon the rivers of the deep.
'Who can ascend the hill of the Lord?*
 and who can stand in his holy place?'
'Those who have clean hands and a pure heart,*
 who have not pledged themselves to falsehood,
   nor sworn by what is a fraud.
'They shall receive a blessing from the Lord*
 and a just reward from the God of their salvation.'
Such is the generation of those who seek him,*
 of those who seek your face, O God of Jacob.
Lift up your heads, O gates;
   lift them high, O everlasting doors;*
 and the King of glory shall come in.
'Who is this King of glory?'*
 'The Lord, strong and mighty,
   the Lord, mighty in battle.'
Lift up your heads, O gates;
   lift them high, O everlasting doors;*
 and the King of glory shall come in.
'Who is he, this King of glory?'*
 'The Lord of hosts,
   he is the King of glory.'

A Song of Tobit (Tobit 13:1,3-6a)

Blessed be God, who lives for ever,
whose reign endures throughout all ages.

Declare God's praise before the nations,
you who are the children of Israel.

For if our God has scattered you among them,
there too has he shown you his greatness.

Exalt him in the sight of the living,
because he is our Lord and God and our Father for ever.

Though God punishes you for your wickedness,
mercy will be shown to you all.

God will gather you from every nation,
from wherever you have been scattered.

When you turn to the Lord
with all your heart and soul,
God will hide his face from you no more.

See what the Lord has done for you
and give thanks with a loud voice.

Praise the Lord of righteousness
and exalt the King of the ages.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [John 14:12-29]:

Jesus said, 'Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes
in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will
do greater works than these, because I am going to the
Father. I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that
the Father may be glorified in the Son. If in my name you
ask me for anything, I will do it.
'If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I
will ask the Father, and he will give you another
Advocate, to be with you for ever. This is the Spirit of
truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither
sees him nor knows him. You know him, because he abides
with you, and he will be in you.
'I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you. In a
little while the world will no longer see me, but you
will see me; because I live, you also will live. On that
day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me,
and I in you. They who have my commandments and keep them
are those who love me; and those who love me will be
loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal
myself to them.' Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, 'Lord,
how is it that you will reveal yourself to us, and not to
the world?' Jesus answered him, 'Those who love me will
keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will
come to them and make our home with them. Whoever does
not love me does not keep my words; and the word that you
hear is not mine, but is from the Father who sent me.
'I have said these things to you while I am still with
you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father
will send in my name, will teach you everything, and
remind you of all that I have said to you. Peace I leave
with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as
the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and
do not let them be afraid. You heard me say to you, "I am
going away, and I am coming to you." If you loved me, you
would rejoice that I am going to the Father, because the
Father is greater than I. And now I have told you this
before it occurs, so that when it does occur, you may
believe.'

For another Biblical reading,
2 Kings 2:1-15

HYMN
Words: Latin, fifth century; trans. John Mason Neale
Tune: Deus tuorum militum
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/e/e051.html

Eternal Monarch, King most high,
whose blood hath brought redemption nigh,
by whom the death of Death was wrought,
and conquering Grace's battle fought.

Ascending to the throne of might,
and seated at the Father's right,
all power in heaven is Jesus' own,
that here his manhood had not known.

That so, in nature's triple frame,
each heavenly and each earthly name,
and things in hell's abyss abhorred,
may bend the knee and own him Lord.

Yea, angels tremble when they see
how changed is our humanity;
that flesh hath purged what flesh had stained,
and God, the flesh of God, hath reigned.

Be thou our joy and strong defense,
who art our future recompense:
so shall the light that springs from thee
be ours through all eternity.

O risen Christ, ascended Lord,
all praise to thee let earth accord,
who art, while endless ages run,
with Father and with Spirit one.

Let us seek the Father's blessing and the gifts of the Spirit,
praying through Christ our Lord
Lord Jesus Christ, pray to the Father
Lord, send us your Spirit.

Jesus Christ, Great High Priest, ever living to intercede for us,
pray for the Church, your broken body in the world,
remembering especially today the Diocese of Nevada, USA,
The Rt Revd Katherine Jefferts Schori, Bishop.
Lord Jesus Christ, pray to the Father
Lord, send us your Spirit.

Jesus Christ, King of righteousness,
enthroned at the right hand of the majesty on high,
pray for the world, and subject it to your gentle rule...
Lord Jesus Christ, pray to the Father
Lord, send us your Spirit.

Jesus Christ, Son of Man, drawing humanity into the life of God,
pray for your brothers and sisters in need, distress or sorrow...
Lord Jesus Christ, pray to the Father
Lord, send us your Spirit.

Jesus Christ, Pioneer of our salvation, bringing us to glory
through your death and resurrection,
surround with your saints and angels
those who have died trusting in your promises....
Lord Jesus Christ, pray to the Father
Lord, send us your Spirit.

Jesus Christ, Lord over all things,
ascending far above the heavens and filling the universe,
pray for us who receive the gifts you give for work in your service...
Lord Jesus Christ, pray to the Father
Lord, send us your Spirit..

Almighty God,
your Son Jesus Christ ascended to the throne of heaven
that he might rule over all things as Lord
Keep the church in the unity of the Spirit
and in the bond of peace,
and bring all creation to worship at his feet,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May Christ, our ascended King,
pour upon us the abundance of his gifts
and bring us to reign with him in glory. Amen.

_Common WorshipServices and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The intercession is from _Enriching the Christian Year_  SPCK,
compilation (c)Michael Perham 1993.

Westminster / John Knox Press.