OREMUS: 22 May 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun May 21 19:25:12 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Monday, May 22, 2006

Blessed are you, strong and faithful God.
All your works, the height and the depth,
echo the silent music of your praise.
In the beginning your Word summoned light,
night withdrew, and creation dawned.
As ages passed unseen,
waters gathered on the face of the earth
and life appeared.
When the times at last had ripened
and the earth grown full in abundance,
you created in your image man and woman,
the stewards of all creation.
You gave us breath and speech,
that all the living
might find a voice to sing your praise,
and to celebrate the creation you call good.

Psalm 104:1-25, 37

Bless the Lord, O my soul;*
 O Lord my God, how excellent is your greatness!
   you are clothed with majesty and splendour.
You wrap yourself with light as with a cloak*
 and spread out the heavens like a curtain.
You lay the beams of your chambers
   in the waters above;*
 you make the clouds your chariot;
   you ride on the wings of the wind.
You make the winds your messengers*
 and flames of fire your servants.
You have set the earth upon its foundations,*
 so that it never shall move at any time.
You covered it with the deep as with a mantle;*
 the waters stood higher than the mountains.
At your rebuke they fled;*
 at the voice of your thunder they hastened away.
They went up into the hills
   and down to the valleys beneath,*
 to the places you had appointed for them.
You set the limits that they should not pass;*
 they shall not again cover the earth.
You send the springs into the valleys;*
 they flow between the mountains.
All the beasts of the field drink their fill from them,*
 and the wild asses quench their thirst.
Beside them the birds of the air make their nests*
 and sing among the branches.
You water the mountains from your dwelling on high;*
 the earth is fully satisfied by the fruit of your works.
You make grass grow for flocks and herds*
 and plants to serve us all;
That they may bring forth food from the earth,*
 and wine to gladden our hearts,
Oil to make a cheerful countenance,*
 and bread to strengthen the heart.
The trees of the Lord are full of sap,*
 the cedars of Lebanon which he planted,
In which the birds build their nests,*
 and in whose tops the stork makes his dwelling.
The high hills are a refuge for the mountain goats,*
 and the stony cliffs for the rock badgers.
You appointed the moon to mark the seasons,*
 and the sun knows the time of its setting.
You make darkness that it may be night,*
 in which all the beasts of the forest prowl.
The lions roar after their prey*
 and seek their food from God.
The sun rises and they slip away*
 and lay themselves down in their dens.
The labourer goes forth to work*
 and to toil until the evening.
O Lord, how manifold are your works!*
 in wisdom you have made them all;
   the earth is full of your creatures.
Bless the Lord, O my soul.*
 Alleluia!

A Song of Creation (Song of the Three Young Men

Bless the Lord all you works of the Lord:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you heavens:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you angels of the Lord:
bless the Lord all you his hosts;

bless the Lord you waters above the heavens:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord sun and moon:
bless the Lord you stars of heaven;

bless the Lord all rain and dew:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord all winds that blow:
bless the Lord you fire and heat;

bless the Lord scorching wind and bitter cold:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord dews and falling snows:
bless the Lord you nights and days;

bless the Lord light and darkness:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord frost and cold:
bless the Lord you ice and snow;

bless the Lord lightnings and clouds:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

bless the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Revelation 21:22-22:5]:

I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord
God the Almighty and the Lamb. And the city has no need
of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God is
its light, and its lamp is the Lamb. The nations will
walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring
their glory into it. Its gates will never be shut by
day and there will be no night there. People will bring
into it the glory and the honour of the nations. But
nothing unclean will enter it, nor anyone who practises
abomination or falsehood, but only those who are written
in the Lamb's book of life.
Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life,
bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of
the Lamb through the middle of the street of the city. On
either side of the river is the tree of life with its
twelve kinds of fruit, producing its fruit each month;
and the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the
nations. Nothing accursed will be found there any more.
But the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and
his servants will worship him; they will see his face,
and his name will be on their foreheads. And there will
be no more night; they need no light of lamp or sun, for
the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign for
ever and ever.

For another Biblical reading,
Ezekiel 47:6-12

HYMN
Words: Carl P. Daw, Jr. (c)
Tune: Mit Freuden zart
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l024.html

Let all creation bless the Lord,
till heaven with praise is ringing.
Sun, moon, and stars, peal out a chord,
stir up the angels' singing.
Sing, wind and rain! Sing, snow and sleet!
Make music, day, night, cold, and heat:
exalt the God who made you.

All living things upon this earth,
green fertile hills and mountains,
sing to the God who gave you birth;
be joyful, springs and fountains.
Lithe waterlife, bright airborne birds,
wild roving beasts, tame flocks and herds:
exalt the God who made you.

O men and women everywhere,
lift up a hymn of glory;
all you who know God's steadfast care,
tell our salvation's story.
No tongue be silent; sing your part,
you humble souls and meek of heart:
exalt the God who made you.

God, Source of all life, how excellent is your name in all the earth.
All people glorify your holy name together.

The majesty and vastness of your creation wraps us round with power and wonder.
We thank you, O God.

For the fertility to nourish cattle and fields,
for the means allowing persons and families to survive.
We thank you, O God.

God made these great works, the gardens and seas, and all the earth's wonders.
We praise you, O God.

For the joy of being a part of nature throughout all our days.
We praise you, O God.

That the mighty power which made the mountains rise
and sets forth each morning's challenge
will continue to sustain us.
Hear us, O God.
That your guidance will continue to guide us
as we live as part of your creation.
We beseech you to hear us, O God.

All that is true, all that is just,
we have received from your hand.
We praise you, O God, and bless your Holy Name.

O Lord, how manifold are all your works
and the earth is full of your creatures.
Send forth your Spirit again this day
to renew the face of the earth,
that the whole creation may reflect
the majesty of your glory;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O Lord, how manifold are all your works
and the earth is full of your creatures.
Send forth your Spirit again this day
to renew the face of the earth,
that the whole creation may reflect
the majesty of your glory;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Come, Lord Jesus, in glory
that at last all peoples will be free,
all divisions healed,
and your whole creation will sing your praise. Amen.

a Eucharistic Prayer in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.

Hymn (c) 1989 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn, contact:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com

The litany is adapted from a litany from an unknown source found on
http://www.webofcreation.org.