OREMUS: 20 May 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri May 19 22:25:19 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, May 20, 2006
Alcuin of York, Deacon, Abbot of Tours, 820

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for you have raised from the dead
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.
You are the ineffable sea of love,
the fountain of blessings,
and you water us with plenteous streams
from the riches of your grace
and the most sweet springs of your kindness.

My heart is stirring with a noble song;
   let me recite what I have fashioned for the king;*
 my tongue shall be the pen of a skilled writer.
You are the fairest of men;*
 grace flows from your lips,
   because God has blessed you for ever.
Strap your sword upon your thigh, O mighty warrior,*
 in your pride and in your majesty.
Ride out and conquer in the cause of truth*
 and for the sake of justice.
Your right hand will show you marvellous things;*
 your arrows are very sharp, O mighty warrior.
The peoples are falling at your feet,*
 and the king's enemies are losing heart.
Your throne, O God, endures for ever and ever,*
 a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of your kingdom;
   you love righteousness and hate iniquity;
Therefore God, your God, has anointed you*
 with the oil of gladness above your fellows.
All your garments are fragrant with myrrh, aloes and cassia,*
 and the music of strings from ivory palaces makes you glad.
Kings' daughters stand among the ladies of the court;*
 on your right hand is the queen,
   adorned with the gold of Ophir.
'Hear, O daughter; consider and listen closely;*
 forget your people and your family's house.
'The king will have pleasure in your beauty;*
 he is your master; therefore do him honour.
'The people of Tyre are here with a gift;*
 the rich among the people seek your favour.'
All glorious is the princess as she enters;*
 her gown is cloth-of-gold.
In embroidered apparel she is brought to the king;*
 after her the bridesmaids follow in procession.
With joy and gladness they are brought,*
 and enter into the palace of the king.
'In place of fathers, O king, you shall have sons;*
 you shall make them princes over all the earth.
'I will make your name to be remembered
   from one generation to another;*
 therefore nations will praise you for ever and ever.'

A Song of Ezekiel (Ezekiel 36:24-26,28b)

I will take you from the nations,
and gather you from all the countries.

I will sprinkle clean water upon you,
and you shall be clean from all your impurities.

A new heart I will give you,
and put a new spirit within you,

And I will remove from your body the heart of stone
and give you a heart of flesh.

You shall be my people,
and I will be your God.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Song of Solomon 4:16-5:2; 8:6-7]:

Awake, O north wind,
   and come, O south wind!
Blow upon my garden
   that its fragrance may be wafted abroad.
Let my beloved come to his garden,
   and eat its choicest fruits.

I come to my garden, my sister, my bride;
   I gather my myrrh with my spice,
   I eat my honeycomb with my honey,
   I drink my wine with my milk.

Eat, friends, drink,
   and be drunk with love.

I slept, but my heart was awake.
Listen! my beloved is knocking.
'Open to me, my sister, my love,
   my dove, my perfect one;
for my head is wet with dew,
   my locks with the drops of the night.'
Set me as a seal upon your heart,
   as a seal upon your arm;
for love is strong as death,
   passion fierce as the grave.
Its flashes are flashes of fire,
   a raging flame.
Many waters cannot quench love,
   neither can floods drown it.
If one offered for love
   all the wealth of one's house,
   it would be utterly scorned.

For another Biblical reading,
Revelation 3:14-22

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts (1674-1748), 1688
Tune: St. Fulbert
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b064d.html

Behold the glories of the Lamb
amidst his Father's throne.
Prepare new honors for his Name,
and songs before unknown.

Let elders worship at his feet,
the Church adore around,
with vials full of odors sweet,
and harps of sweeter sound.

Those are the prayers of the saints,
and these the hymns they raise;
Jesus is kind to our complaints,
he loves to hear our praise.

Eternal Father, who shall look
into thy secret will?
Who but the Son should take that book
and open every seal?

He shall fulfill thy great decrees,
the Son deserves it well;
Lo, in his hand the sovereign keys
of heaven, and death, and hell!

Now to the Lamb that once was slain
be endless blessings paid;
salvation, glory, joy remain
forever on thy head.

Thou hast redeemed our souls with blood,
hast set the prisoner free;
hast made us kings and priests to God,
and we shall reign with thee.

The worlds of nature and of grace
are put beneath thy power;
then shorten these delaying days,
and bring the promised hour.

Great and wonderful God, we praise and thank you for the
gift of renewal in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you
for
     opportunities for rest and recreation...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the regenerating gifts of the Holy Spirit...
     activities shared by young and old...
     fun and laughter...
     every service that proclaims your love...

You make all things new, O God, and we offer our prayers
for the renewal of the whole world and the healing of its
wounds. Especially we pray for
     those who have no leisure...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     people enslaved by addictions...
     those who entertain and enlighten...
     those confronted with temptation...
     the church in North America...
     the Diocese of Colombo, Ceylon, The Rt Revd Duleep de Chickera, Bishop...

Lord our God,
enthroned in majesty,
inspire the praises of your people,
that our worship will be one
with the marriage feast in heaven,
and your bride united with your anointed Son,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty God,
in a rude and barbarous age
you raised up your deacon Alcuin
to rekindle the light of learning:
Illumine our minds, we pray,
that amid the uncertainties and confusions of our own time
we may show forth your eternal truth;

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Increase our love for one another,
that both in name and in truth
we may be disciples of the risen Lord Jesus,
and so reflect by our lives
the glory that is yours. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen T. Benner, 2001, and is
based on phrases from a Syrian Clementine liturgy, found in _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in

Alcuin was an Englishman from York, born into a noble family about 730, and
educated by a pupil of Bede. Having become a deacon, he was made head of
the cathedral school at York aroung 770. In 781 he was asked by the Emperor
Charlemagne to become his minister of education. He accepted, and
established schools at many cathedrals and monasteries, and promoted learning
in every way he could. In the preceding years of constant wars and invasions,
many ancient writings had been lost. Alcuin established scriptoria, dedicated to
the copying and preservation of ancient manuscripts, both pagan and Christian.
That we have as much as we do of the writings of classical Roman authors is
largely due to Alcuin and his scribes. (He is credited with the invention of
cursive script, in which the letters are connected for greater speed of writing.)
To Alcuin, backed by Charlemagne, belongs much of the credit for the revision
and organisation of the Latin liturgy, the preservation of many of the ancient
prayers, and the development of plainchant. He and his fellow theologians at
Charlemagne's capital of Aachen (or Aix-le-Chappelle) were important
advocates of the doctrine that the Holy Ghost proceeds from the Father and
the Son jointly. Unfortunately, the East, which regarded the Emperor at
Byzantium as the sole Emperor, resented Charlemagne's assumption of the title
of Holy Roman Emperor, and this hardened their opposition to the aforesaid
doctrine, thus contributing to the rift between East and West. [James Kiefer]