OREMUS: 18 May 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed May 17 20:45:08 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, May 18, 2006

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for you have raised from the dead
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.
You are the ineffable sea of love,
the fountain of blessings,
and you water us with plenteous streams
from the riches of your grace
and the most sweet springs of your kindness.

 for his mercy endures for ever.
Give thanks to the God of gods,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Give thanks to the Lord of lords,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who only does great wonders,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who by his wisdom made the heavens,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who spread out the earth upon the waters,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who created great lights,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
The sun to rule the day,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
The moon and the stars to govern the night,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who struck down the first-born of Egypt,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And brought out Israel from among them,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
With a mighty hand and a stretched-out arm,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who divided the Red Sea in two,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And made Israel to pass through the midst of it,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
But swept Pharaoh and his army into the Red Sea,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who led his people through the wilderness,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who struck down great kings,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And slew mighty kings,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Sihon, king of the Amorites,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And Og, the king of Bashan,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And gave away their lands for an inheritance,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
An inheritance for Israel his servant,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who remembered us in our low estate,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And delivered us from our enemies,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who gives food to all creatures,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Give thanks to the God of heaven,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7. 9-10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
 which no one could number,

>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
 standing before the throne and the Lamb.

They were clothed in white robes
 and had palms in their hands,
 and they cried with a loud voice, saying,

'Salvation belongs to our God
 who sits on the throne,
 and to the Lamb.'

These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
 they have washed their robes
 and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;

Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
 whom they serve day and night within the temple.

And the One who sits upon the throne
 will shelter them with his presence.

They shall never again feel hunger or thirst,
 the sun shall not strike them,
 nor any scorching heat.

For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
 will be their Shepherd,

He will guide them to springs of living water,
 and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Judges 16:4-22]:

After this Samson fell in love with a woman in the valley
of Sorek, whose name was Delilah. The lords of the
Philistines came to her and said to her, 'Coax him, and
find out what makes his strength so great, and how we may
overpower him, so that we may bind him in order to subdue
him; and we will each give you eleven hundred pieces of
silver.' So Delilah said to Samson, 'Please tell me what
makes your strength so great, and how you could be bound,
so that one could subdue you.' Samson said to her, 'If
they bind me with seven fresh bowstrings that are not
dried out, then I shall become weak, and be like anyone
else.' Then the lords of the Philistines brought her
seven fresh bowstrings that had not dried out, and she
bound him with them. While men were lying in wait in an
inner chamber, she said to him, 'The Philistines are upon
you, Samson!' But he snapped the bowstrings, as a strand
of fibre snaps when it touches the fire. So the secret of
his strength was not known.
Then Delilah said to Samson, 'You have mocked me and told
me lies; please tell me how you could be bound.' He said
to her, 'If they bind me with new ropes that have not
been used, then I shall become weak, and be like anyone
else.' So Delilah took new ropes and bound him with them,
and said to him, 'The Philistines are upon you, Samson!'
(The men lying in wait were in an inner chamber.) But he
snapped the ropes off his arms like a thread.
Then Delilah said to Samson, 'Until now you have mocked
me and told me lies; tell me how you could be bound.' He
said to her, 'If you weave the seven locks of my head
with the web and make it tight with the pin, then I shall
become weak, and be like anyone else.' So while he slept,
Delilah took the seven locks of his head and wove them
into the web, and made them tight with the pin. Then she
said to him, 'The Philistines are upon you, Samson!' But
he awoke from his sleep, and pulled away the pin, the
loom, and the web.
Then she said to him, 'How can you say, "I love you",
when your heart is not with me? You have mocked me three
times now and have not told me what makes your strength
so great.' Finally, after she had nagged him with her
words day after day, and pestered him, he was tired to
death. So he told her his whole secret, and said to her,
'A razor has never come upon my head; for I have been a
nazirite to God from my mother's womb. If my head were
shaved, then my strength would leave me; I would become
weak, and be like anyone else.'
When Delilah realized that he had told her his whole
secret, she sent and called the lords of the Philistines,
saying, 'This time come up, for he has told his whole
secret to me.' Then the lords of the Philistines came up
to her, and brought the money in their hands. She let him
fall asleep on her lap; and she called a man, and had him
shave off the seven locks of his head. He began to
weaken, and his strength left him. Then she said, 'The
Philistines are upon you, Samson!' When he awoke from his
sleep, he thought, 'I will go out as at other times, and
shake myself free.' But he did not know that the Lord had
left him. So the Philistines seized him and gouged out
his eyes. They brought him down to Gaza and bound him
with bronze shackles; and he ground at the mill in the
prison. But the hair of his head began to grow again
after it had been shaved.

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 10:1-33

HYMN
Words: Fred Pratt Green (c)
Tune: Ar hyd y nos
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f211.html

For the fruit of all creation,
thanks be to God.
gifts bestowed on every nation,
thanks be to God.
For the plowing, sowing, reaping,
silent growth while we are sleeping,
future needs in earth's safekeeping,
thanks be to God.

In the just reward of labor,
God's will is done.
In the help we give our neighbor,
God's will is done.
In our worldwide task of caring
for the hungry and despairing,
in the harvests we are sharing,
God's will is done.

For the harvests of the Spirit,
thanks be to God.
For the good we all inherit,
thanks be to God.
For the wonders that astound us,
for the truths that still confound us,
most of all that love has found us,
thanks be to God.

Loving God, as the rising sun chases away the night, so
you have scattered the power of death in the rising of
Jesus Christ, and you bring us all blessings in him.
Especially we thank you for
     the community of faith in our church...
                (We thank you, Lord.)
     those with whom we work or share common concerns...
     the diversity of your children...
     indications of your love at work in the world...
     those who work for reconciliation...

Mighty God, with the dawn of your love you reveal your
victory over all that would destroy or harm, and you
brighten the lives of all who need you. Especially we pray
for
     families suffering separation...
                (Lord, hear our prayer)
     people different from ourselves...
     those isolated by sickness or sorrow...
     the victims of violence or warfare...
     the church in the Pacific region...
     the Diocese of Coimbatore, India, The Rt Revd Masilamani Dorai, Bishop...

We behold your glory, O God,
in the love shown by your Son,
lifted up on the cross and exalted on high:
Be glorified anew in the love we have for one another
as disciples of the risen Lord Jesus,
who lives and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Increase our love for one another,
that both in name and in truth
we may be disciples of the risen Lord Jesus,
and so reflect by our lives
the glory that is yours. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen T. Benner, 2001, and is
based on phrases from a Syrian Clementine liturgy, found in _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

Hymn (c) 1970 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in