OREMUS: 17 May 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue May 16 21:02:44 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for you have raised from the dead
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.
You are the ineffable sea of love,
the fountain of blessings,
and you water us with plenteous streams
from the riches of your grace
and the most sweet springs of your kindness.

Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and forget not all his benefits.
He forgives all your sins*
 and heals all your infirmities;
He redeems your life from the grave*
 and crowns you with mercy and loving-kindness;
He satisfies you with good things,*
 and your youth is renewed like an eagle's.
The Lord executes righteousness*
 and judgement for all who are oppressed.
He made his ways known to Moses*
 and his works to the children of Israel.
The Lord is full of compassion and mercy,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
He will not always accuse us,*
 nor will he keep his anger for ever.
He has not dealt with us according to our sins,*
 nor rewarded us according to our wickedness.
For as the heavens are high above the earth,*
 so is his mercy great upon those who fear him.
As far as the east is from the west,*
 so far has he removed our sins from us.
As a father cares for his children,*
 so does the Lord care for those who fear him.
For he himself knows whereof we are made;*
 he remembers that we are but dust.
Our days are like the grass;*
 we flourish like a flower of the field;
When the wind goes over it, it is gone,*
 and its place shall know it no more.
But the merciful goodness of the Lord
   endures for ever on those who fear him,*
 and his righteousness on children's children;
On those who keep his covenant*
 and remember his commandments and do them.
The Lord has set his throne in heaven,*
 and his kingship has dominion over all.
Bless the Lord, you angels of his,
   you mighty ones who do his bidding,*
 and hearken to the voice of his word.
Bless the Lord, all you his hosts,*
 you ministers of his who do his will.
Bless the Lord, all you works of his,
   in all places of his dominion;*
 bless the Lord, O my soul.

A Song of Faith (1 Peter 1.3-4,18-21)

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ!

By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

Into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading,
kept in heaven for you.

Who are being protected by the power of God
through faith for a salvation,
ready to be revealed in the last time.

You were ransomed from the futile ways of your ancestors
not with perishable things like silver or gold

But with the precious blood of Christ
like that of a lamb without spot or stain.

Through him you have confidence in God,
who raised him from the dead and gave him glory,
so that your faith and hope are set on God.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Judges 15]:

After a while, at the time of the wheat harvest, Samson
went to visit his wife, bringing along a kid. He said, 'I
want to go into my wife's room.' But her father would not
allow him to go in. Her father said, 'I was sure that you
had rejected her; so I gave her to your companion. Is not
her younger sister prettier than she? Why not take her
instead?' Samson said to them, 'This time, when I do
mischief to the Philistines, I will be without blame.' So
Samson went and caught three hundred foxes, and took some
torches; and he turned the foxes tail to tail, and put a
torch between each pair of tails. When he had set fire to
the torches, he let the foxes go into the standing grain
of the Philistines, and burned up the shocks and the
standing grain, as well as the vineyards and olive
groves. Then the Philistines asked, 'Who has done this?'
And they said, 'Samson, the son-in-law of the Timnite,
because he has taken Samson's wife and given her to his
companion.' So the Philistines came up, and burned her
and her father. Samson said to them, 'If this is what you
do, I swear I will not stop until I have taken revenge on
you.' He struck them down hip and thigh with great
slaughter; and he went down and lived in the cleft of the
rock of Etam.

Then the Philistines came up and encamped in Judah, and
made a raid on Lehi. The men of Judah said, 'Why have you
come up against us?' They said, 'We have come up to bind
Samson, to do to him as he did to us.' Then three
thousand men of Judah went down to the cleft of the rock
of Etam, and they said to Samson, 'Do you not know that
the Philistines are rulers over us? What then have you
done to us?' He replied, 'As they did to me, so I have
done to them.' They said to him, 'We have come down to
bind you, so that we may give you into the hands of the
Philistines.' Samson answered them, 'Swear to me that you
yourselves will not attack me.' They said to him, 'No, we
will only bind you and give you into their hands; we will
not kill you.' So they bound him with two new ropes, and
brought him up from the rock.

When he came to Lehi, the Philistines came shouting to
meet him; and the spirit of the Lord rushed on him, and
the ropes that were on his arms became like flax that has
caught fire, and his bonds melted off his hands. Then he
found a fresh jawbone of a donkey, reached down and took
it, and with it he killed a thousand men. And Samson
said,
'With the jawbone of a donkey,
   heaps upon heaps,
with the jawbone of a donkey
   I have slain a thousand men.'
When he had finished speaking, he threw away the jawbone;
and that place was called Ramath-lehi.

By then he was very thirsty, and he called on the Lord,
saying, 'You have granted this great victory by the hand
of your servant. Am I now to die of thirst, and fall into
the hands of the uncircumcised?' So God split open the
hollow place that is at Lehi, and water came from it.
When he drank, his spirit returned, and he revived.
Therefore it was named En-hakkore, which is at Lehi to
this day. And he judged Israel in the days of the
Philistines for twenty years.

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 9:36-43

HYMN
Words: Henry Scott Holland, 1902, alt.
Tune: St. Leonard, Rhuddlan
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j254.html

Judge eternal, throned in splendor,
Lord of lords and King of kings,
with thy living fire of judgment
purge this land of bitter things;
solace all its wide dominion
with the healing of thy wings.

Still the weary folk are pining
for the hour that brings release,
and the city's crowded clangor
cries aloud for sin to cease;
and the homesteads and the woodlands
plead in silence for their peace.

Crown, O God, thine own endeavor;
cleave our darkness with thy sword;
feed all those who do not know thee
with the richness of thy word;
cleanse the body of this nation
through the glory of the Lord.

God of all mercies, we praise you that you have brought
us to this day, brightening our lives with the dawn
of promise and hope in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank
you for
     the warmth of sunlight, the wetness of rain and
     snow, and all that nourishes the earth...
                           (We thank you, Lord.)
     the presence and power of your Spirit...
     the support and encouragement we receive from others...
     those who provide for public safety and well-being...
     the mission of the church around the world...

Merciful God, strengthen us in prayer that we may lift up
the brokenness of this world for your healing, and share
the saving love of Jesus Christ. Especially we pray for
     those in positions of authority over others...
                           (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     the lonely and forgotten...
     children without family or homes...
     agents of caring and relief...
     the church in Asia and the Middle East...
     the Diocese of Clogher, Ireland, The Rt Revd Michael Geoffrey St Aubyn Jackson, Bishop...

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Increase our love for one another,
that both in name and in truth
we may be disciples of the risen Lord Jesus,
and so reflect by our lives
the glory that is yours. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen T. Benner, 2001, and is
based on phrases from a Syrian Clementine liturgy, found in _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in