OREMUS: 16 May 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon May 15 20:55:26 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for you have raised from the dead
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.
You are the ineffable sea of love,
the fountain of blessings,
and you water us with plenteous streams
from the riches of your grace
and the most sweet springs of your kindness.

Give thanks to the Lord and call upon his name;*
 make known his deeds among the peoples.
Sing to him, sing praises to him,*
 and speak of all his marvellous works.
Glory in his holy name;*
 let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice.
Search for the Lord and his strength;*
 continually seek his face.
Remember the marvels he has done,*
 his wonders and the judgements of his mouth,
O offspring of Abraham his servant,*
 O children of Jacob his chosen.
He is the Lord our God;*
 his judgements prevail in all the world.
He has always been mindful of his covenant,*
 the promise he made for a thousand generations:
The covenant he made with Abraham,*
 the oath that he swore to Isaac,
Which he established as a statute for Jacob,*
 an everlasting covenant for Israel,
Saying, 'To you will I give the land of Canaan*
 to be your allotted inheritance.'
When they were few in number,*
 of little account and sojourners in the land,
Wandering from nation to nation*
 and from one kingdom to another,
He let no one oppress them*
 and rebuked kings for their sake,
Saying, 'Do not touch my anointed*
 and do my prophets no harm.'
Then he called for a famine in the land*
 and destroyed the supply of bread.
He sent a man before them,*
 Joseph, who was sold as a slave.
They bruised his feet in fetters;*
 his neck they put in an iron collar.
Until his prediction came to pass,*
 the word of the Lord tested him.
The king sent and released him;*
 the ruler of the peoples set him free.
He set him as master over his household,*
 as a ruler over all his possessions,
To instruct his princes according to his will*
 and to teach his elders wisdom.
Israel came into Egypt,*
 and Jacob became a sojourner in the land of Ham.
The Lord made his people exceedingly fruitful;*
 he made them stronger than their enemies;
Whose heart he turned, so that they hated his people,*
 and dealt unjustly with his servants.
He sent Moses his servant,*
 and Aaron whom he had chosen.
They worked his signs among them,*
 and portents in the land of Ham.
He sent darkness and it grew dark;*
 but the Egyptians rebelled against his words.
He turned their waters into blood*
 and caused their fish to die.
Their land was overrun by frogs,*
 in the very chambers of their kings.
He spoke and there came swarms of insects*
 and gnats within all their borders.
He gave them hailstones instead of rain,*
 and flames of fire throughout their land.
He blasted their vines and their fig trees*
 and shattered every tree in their country.
He spoke and the locust came,*
 and young locusts without number,
Which ate up all the green plants in their land*
 and devoured the fruit of their soil.
He struck down the first-born of their land,*
 the first-fruits of all their strength.
He led out his people with silver and gold;*
 in all their tribes there was not one that stumbled.
Egypt was glad of their going,*
 because they were afraid of them.
He spread out a cloud for a covering*
 and a fire to give light in the night season.
They asked and quails appeared,*
 and he satisfied them with bread from heaven.
He opened the rock and water flowed,*
 so the river ran in the dry places.
For God remembered his holy word*
 and Abraham his servant.
So he led forth his people with gladness,*
 his chosen with shouts of joy.
He gave his people the lands of the nations,*
 and they took the fruit of others' toil,
That they might keep his statutes*
 and observe his laws.
   Alleluia!

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43:15-21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your king.'

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,

'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.

'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,

'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

READING [Judges 14]:

Once Samson went down to Timnah, and at Timnah he saw a
Philistine woman. Then he came up, and told his father
and mother, 'I saw a Philistine woman at Timnah; now get
her for me as my wife.' But his father and mother said to
him, 'Is there not a woman among your kin, or among all
our people, that you must go to take a wife from the
uncircumcised Philistines?' But Samson said to his
father, 'Get her for me, because she pleases me.' His
father and mother did not know that this was from the
Lord; for he was seeking a pretext to act against the
Philistines. At that time the Philistines had dominion
over Israel.

Then Samson went down with his father and mother to
Timnah. When he came to the vineyards of Timnah, suddenly
a young lion roared at him. The spirit of the Lord rushed
on him, and he tore the lion apart with his bare hands as
one might tear apart a kid. But he did not tell his
father or his mother what he had done. Then he went down
and talked with the woman, and she pleased Samson. After
a while he returned to marry her, and he turned aside to
see the carcass of the lion, and there was a swarm of
bees in the body of the lion, and honey. He scraped it
out into his hands, and went on, eating as he went. When
he came to his father and mother, he gave some to them,
and they ate it. But he did not tell them that he had
taken the honey from the carcass of the lion.

His father went down to the woman, and Samson made a
feast there as the young men were accustomed to do. When
the people saw him, they brought thirty companions to be
with him. Samson said to them, 'Let me now put a riddle
to you. If you can explain it to me within the seven days
of the feast, and find it out, then I will give you
thirty linen garments and thirty festal garments. But if
you cannot explain it to me, then you shall give me
thirty linen garments and thirty festal garments.' So
they said to him, 'Ask your riddle; let us hear it.' He
said to them,
'Out of the eater came something to eat.
Out of the strong came something sweet.'
But for three days they could not explain the riddle.

On the fourth day they said to Samson's wife, 'Coax your
husband to explain the riddle to us, or we will burn you
and your father's house with fire. Have you invited us
here to impoverish us?' So Samson's wife wept before him,
saying, 'You hate me; you do not really love me. You have
asked a riddle of my people, but you have not explained
it to me.' He said to her, 'Look, I have not told my
father or my mother. Why should I tell you?' She wept
before him for the seven days that their feast lasted;
and because she nagged him, on the seventh day he told
her. Then she explained the riddle to her people. The men
of the town said to him on the seventh day before the sun
went down,
'What is sweeter than honey?
What is stronger than a lion?'
And he said to them,
'If you had not ploughed with my heifer,
you would not have found out my riddle.'
Then the spirit of the Lord rushed on him, and he went
down to Ashkelon. He killed thirty men of the town, took
their spoil, and gave the festal garments to those who
had explained the riddle. In hot anger he went back to
his father's house. And Samson's wife was given to his
companion, who had been his best man.

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 9:23-31

HYMN
Words: Bernard of Clairvaux, twelfth century;
trans. John Mason Neale and Hymns Ancient & Modern
Tune: Jesu, dulcis memoria
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j188.html

Jesus! the very thought is sweet;
in that dear name all heart-joys meet;
but O, than honey sweeter far
the glimpses of his presence are.

No word is sung more sweet than this,
no sound is heard more full of bliss,
no thought brings sweeter comfort nigh,
than Jesus, Son of God most high.

Jesus, the hope of souls forlorn,
how good to them for sin that mourn!
To them that seek the, O how kind!
But what art thou to them that find?

No tongue of mortal can express,
no pen can write, the blessedness:
he only who hath proved it knows
what bliss from love of Jesus flows.

O Jesus, King of wondrous might!
O Victor, glorious from the fight!
Sweetness that may not be expressed,
and altogether loveliest!

Abide with us, O Lord, today,
fulfill us with thy grace, we pray;
and with thine own true sweetness feed
our souls from sin and darkness freed.

Eternal God, we rejoice today in the gift of life, which
we have received by your grace, and the new life you give
in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you for
     the love of our families...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the affection of our friends...
     strength and abilities to serve your purpose today...
     this community in which we live...
     opportunities to give as we have received...

God of grace, we offer our prayers for the needs of
others and commit ourselves to serve them as we have been
served in Jesus Christ. Especially we pray for
     those closest to us, families, friends, neighbors...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     refugees and homeless men, women and children...
     the outcast and persecuted...
     those from whom we are estranged...
     the church in Africa...
     the Diocese of Chubu, Japan, The Rt Revd Francis Toshiaki Mori, Bishop.

Merciful God,
you brought your people out of slavery
and led them to freedom in the promised land;
feed us on our journey with the bread of heaven
that we may hunger and thirst for righteousness
until your kingdom comes;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Increase our love for one another,
that both in name and in truth
we may be disciples of the risen Lord Jesus,
and so reflect by our lives
the glory that is yours. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen T. Benner, 2001, and is
based on phrases from a Syrian Clementine liturgy, found in _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in