OREMUS: 15 May 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun May 14 22:41:49 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Monday, May 15, 2006

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for you have raised from the dead
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.
You are the ineffable sea of love,
the fountain of blessings,
and you water us with plenteous streams
from the riches of your grace
and the most sweet springs of your kindness.

Not to us, O Lord, not to us,
   but to your name give glory;*
 because of your love and because of your faithfulness.
Why should the heathen say,*
 'Where then is their God?'
Our God is in heaven;*
 whatever he wills to do he does.
Their idols are silver and gold,*
 the work of human hands.
They have mouths, but they cannot speak;*
 eyes have they, but they cannot see;
They have ears, but they cannot hear;*
 noses, but they cannot smell;
They have hands, but they cannot feel;
   feet, but they cannot walk;*
 they make no sound with their throat.
Those who make them are like them,*
 and so are all who put their trust in them.
O Israel, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
O house of Aaron, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
You who fear the Lord, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
The Lord has been mindful of us and he will bless us;*
 he will bless the house of Israel;
   he will bless the house of Aaron;
He will bless those who fear the Lord,*
 both small and great together.
May the Lord increase you more and more,*
 you and your children after you.
May you be blessed by the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
The heaven of heavens is the Lord's,*
 but he entrusted the earth to its peoples.
The dead do not praise the Lord,*
 nor all those who go down into silence;
But we will bless the Lord,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
   Alleluia!

A Song of the Heavenly City (Revelation 21.22-26;22.1,2b,2d,3b-4)

I saw no temple in the city,
for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty
and the Lamb.

And the city has no need of sun or moon
to shine upon it,
for the glory of God is its light,
and its lamp is the Lamb.

By its light the nations shall walk,
and the rulers of the earth
shall bring their glory into it.

Its gates shall never be shut by day,
nor shall there be any night;
they shall bring into it
the glory and honour of the nations.

I saw the river of the water of life,
bright as crystal,
flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.

And either side of the river stood the tree of life,
yielding its fruit each month,
and the leaves of the tree
were for the healing of the nations.

The throne of God and of the Lamb shall be there,
and his servants shall worship him;
and they shall see his face
and his name shall be on their foreheads.

for ever and ever. Amen.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Judges 13:1-7,24]:

The Israelites again did what was evil in the sight of
the Lord, and the Lord gave them into the hand of the
Philistines for forty years.
There was a certain man of Zorah, of the tribe of the
Danites, whose name was Manoah. His wife was barren,
having borne no children. And the angel of the Lord
appeared to the woman and said to her, 'Although you are
barren, having borne no children, you shall conceive and
bear a son. Now be careful not to drink wine or strong
drink, or to eat anything unclean, for you shall conceive
and bear a son. No razor is to come on his head, for the
boy shall be a nazirite to God from birth. It is he who
shall begin to deliver Israel from the hand of the
Philistines.' Then the woman came and told her husband,
'A man of God came to me, and his appearance was like
that of an angel of God, most awe-inspiring; I did not
ask him where he came from, and he did not tell me his
name; but he said to me, "You shall conceive and bear a
son. So then drink no wine or strong drink, and eat
nothing unclean, for the boy shall be a nazirite to God
from birth to the day of his death."'
The woman bore a son, and named him Samson. The boy grew,
and the Lord blessed him.

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 9:1-22

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley, 1743
Tune: Erschienen ist
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o865.html

Our Lord is risen from the dead!
Our Jesus is gone up on high!
The powers of hell are captive led,
dragged to the portals of the sky.
Alleluia!

There his triumphal chariot waits,
and angels chant the solemn lay:
lift up your heads, ye heavenly gates;
ye everlasting doors, give way.
Alleluia!

Loose all your bars of massy light,
and wide unfold the ethereal scene;
he claims these mansions as his right
receive the King of glory in.
Alleluia!

Who is this King of glory? Who?
The Lord that all our foes overcame;
the world, sin, death, and hell overthrew;
and Jesus is the conqueror's Name.

We praise you, God our creator, for your handiwork in
shaping and sustaining your wondrous creation. Especially
we thank you for
     the miracle of life and the wonder of living...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     particular blessings coming to us in this day...
     the resources of the earth...
     gifts of creative vision and skillful craft...
     the treasure stored in every human life...

We dare to pray for others, God our Savior, claiming your
love in Jesus Christ for the whole world, committing
ourselves to care for those around us in his name.
Especially we pray for
     those who work for the benefit of others...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     those who cannot work today...
     those who teach and those who learn...
     people who are poor...
     the Church in Europe...
     the Diocese of Christchurch, New Zealand,
     The Rt Revd Dr David John Coles, Bishop

O Lord of life,
who made us in your image
and taught us to offer ourselves to you
as a living sacrifice:
fill us with your life-giving Spirit
that in the renewal of our minds
we may be dead to sin and live to you
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Increase our love for one another,
that both in name and in truth
we may be disciples of the risen Lord Jesus,
and so reflect by our lives
the glory that is yours. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen T. Benner, 2001, and is
based on phrases from a Syrian Clementine liturgy, found in _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in