OREMUS: 14 May 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat May 13 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, May 14, 2006
The Fifth Sunday of Easter

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for you have raised from the dead
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.
You are the ineffable sea of love,
the fountain of blessings,
and you water us with plenteous streams
from the riches of your grace
and the most sweet springs of your kindness.

Alleluia!  Praise the name of the Lord;*
 give praise, you servants of the Lord,
You who stand in the house of the Lord,*
 in the courts of the house of our God.
Praise the Lord, for the Lord is good;*
 sing praises to his name, for it is lovely.
For the Lord has chosen Jacob for himself*
 and Israel for his own possession.
For I know that the Lord is great,*
 and that our Lord is above all gods.
The Lord does whatever pleases him,
   in heaven and on earth,*
 in the seas and all the deeps.
He brings up rain clouds from the ends of the earth;*
 he sends out lightning with the rain,
   and brings the winds out of his storehouse.
It was he who struck down the first-born of Egypt,*
 the first-born both of human and beast.
He sent signs and wonders
   into the midst of you, O Egypt,*
 against Pharaoh and all his servants.
He overthrew many nations*
 and put mighty kings to death:
Sihon, king of the Amorites,
   and Og, the king of Bashan,*
 and all the kingdoms of Canaan.
He gave their land to be an inheritance,*
 an inheritance for Israel his people.
O Lord, your name is everlasting;*
 your renown, O Lord, endures from age to age.
For the Lord gives his people justice*
 and shows compassion to his servants.
The idols of the heathen are silver and gold,*
 the work of human hands.
They have mouths, but they cannot speak;*
 eyes have they, but they cannot see.
They have ears, but they cannot hear;*
 neither is there any breath in their mouth.
Those who make them are like them,*
 and so are all who put their trust in them.
Bless the Lord, O house of Israel;*
 O house of Aaron, bless the Lord.
Bless the Lord, O house of Levi;*
 you who fear the Lord, bless the Lord.
Blessed be the Lord out of Zion,*
 who dwells in Jerusalem. Alleluia!

The Song of Moses and Miriam (Exodus 15.1b-3,6,10,13,17

I will sing to the Lord, who has triumphed gloriously,
the horse and his rider he has thrown into the sea.
The Lord is my strength and my song
and has become my salvation.
This is my God whom I will praise,
the God of my forebears whom I will exalt.
The Lord is a warrior,
the Lord is his name.
Your right hand, O Lord, is glorious in power:
your right hand, O Lord, shatters the enemy.
At the blast of your nostrils, the sea covered them;
they sank as lead in the mighty waters.
In your unfailing love, O Lord,
you lead the people whom you have redeemed.
And by your invincible strength
you will guide them to your holy dwelling.
You will bring them in and plant them, O Lord,
in the sanctuary which your hands have established.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [1 John 4:1-8]:

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the
spirits to see whether they are from God; for many false
prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know
the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus
Christ has come in the flesh is from God, and every
spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. And
this is the spirit of the antichrist, of which you have
heard that it is coming; and now it is already in the
world. Little children, you are from God, and have
conquered them; for the one who is in you is greater than
the one who is in the world. They are from the world;
therefore what they say is from the world, and the world
listens to them. We are from God. Whoever knows God
listens to us, and whoever is not from God does not
listen to us. From this we know the spirit of truth and
the spirit of error.
Beloved, let us love one another, because love is from
God; everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.
Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love.

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 13:16a, 26-43

HYMN
Words: Timothy Dudley-Smith (c)
Tune: Christingle Praise
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g301.html

God whose love is everywhere
made our earth and all things fair,
ever keeps them in his care:
praise the God of love!
He who hung the stars in space
holds the spinning world in place;
praise the God of love!

Come with thankful songs to sing
of the gifts the seasons bring,
summer, winter, autumn, spring;
praise the God of love!
He who gives us breath and birth
gives us all the fruitful earth;
praise the God of love!

Mark what love the Lord displayed,
all our sins upon him laid,
by his blood our ransom paid;
praise the God of love!
Circled by that scarlet band
all the world is in his hand;
praise the God of love!

See the sign of love appear,
flame of glory, bright and clear,
light for all the world is here;
praise the God of love!
Gloom and darkness, get you gone!
Christ the Light of life has shone;
praise the God of love!

Jesus, bread from heaven,
you satisfy the hungry with good things:
Grant us a share with all the faithful departed,
in the banquet of your kingdom.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, the light of the world,
you gave the man born blind the gift of sight:
Open the eye of faith
and bring us from darkness
to your eternal light and glory.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, Son of the living God,
you summoned your friend Lazarus from death to life:
Raise us at the last to full and eternal life with you.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, crucified Savior,
in your dying you entrusted
Mary your Mother and John your Beloved to each other:
Sustain and comfort all who mourn.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, our Way and Truth and Life,
you drew your disciple Thomas from doubt to faith:
Reveal the resurrection faith to the doubting and the lost:
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

May God in his infinite mercy
bring the whole Church,
living and departed in the Lord Jesus,
to a joyful resurrection
and the fulfillment of his eternal kingdom. Amen.

Almighty God,
whom truly to know is everlasting life:
Grant us so perfectly to know your Son Jesus Christ
to be the way, the truth, and the life,
that we may steadfastly follow his steps
in the way that leads to eternal life;
through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.  Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Increase our love for one another,
that both in name and in truth
we may be disciples of the risen Lord Jesus,
and so reflect by our lives
the glory that is yours. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen T. Benner, 2001, and is
based on phrases from a Syrian Clementine liturgy, found in _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

Hymn (c) 1993 Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this text in all territories except the UK, Europe & Africa, contact:

Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
For UK, Europe & Africa: contact: Bishop Timothy Dudley-Smith, 9 Ashlands, Ford, Salisbury,
Wiltshire  SP4 6DY  England

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in