OREMUS: 12 May 2006

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Fri May 12 00:28:41 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, May 12, 2006
Florence Nightingale, Nurse, Social Reformer, 1910

Blessed are you, God of peace,
who brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus,
the great shepherd of the sheep,
by the blood of the eternal covenant,
making us complete in everything good
so that we may do his will,
and working among us that which is pleasing in his sight.

I will exalt you, O Lord,
    because you have lifted me up*
  and have not let my enemies triumph over me.
O Lord my God, I cried out to you,*
  and you restored me to health.
You brought me up, O Lord, from the dead;*
  you restored my life as I was going down to the grave.
Sing to the Lord, you servants of his;*
  give thanks for the remembrance of his holiness.
For his wrath endures but the twinkling of an eye,*
  his favour for a lifetime.
Weeping may spend the night,*
  but joy comes in the morning.
While I felt secure, I said,
    ‘I shall never be disturbed.*
  You, Lord, with your favour,
    made me as strong as the mountains.’
Then you hid your face,*
  and I was filled with fear.
I cried to you, O Lord;*
  I pleaded with the Lord, saying,
‘What profit is there in my blood,
    if I go down to the Pit?*
  will the dust praise you or declare your faithfulness?
‘Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon me;*
  O Lord, be my helper.’
You have turned my wailing into dancing;*
  you have put off my sack-cloth and clothed me with joy;
Therefore my heart sings to you without ceasing;*
  O Lord my God, I will give you thanks for ever.

A Song of Solomon (cf. Song of Songs 8:6-7)

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;

For love is strong as death, passion fierce as the grave;
its flashes are flashes of fire, a raging flame.

Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can the floods drown it.

If all the wealth of our house were offered for love,
it would be utterly scorned.

READING [Acts 8:14-25]:

Now when the apostles at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word
of God, they sent Peter and John to them. The two went down and prayed for
them that they might receive the Holy Spirit (for as yet the Spirit had not
come upon any of them; they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord
Jesus). Then Peter and John laid their hands on them, and they received the
Holy Spirit. Now when Simon saw that the Spirit was given through the
laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them money, saying, 'Give me
also this power so that anyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy
Spirit.' But Peter said to him, 'May your silver perish with you, because
you thought you could obtain God's gift with money! You have no part or
share in this, for your heart is not right before God. Repent therefore of
this wickedness of yours, and pray to the Lord that, if possible, the
intent of your heart may be forgiven you. For I see that you are in the
gall of bitterness and the chains of wickedness.' Simon answered, 'Pray for
me to the Lord, that nothing of what you have said may happen to me.'

Now after Peter and John had testified and spoken the word of the Lord,
they returned to Jerusalem, proclaiming the good news to many villages of
the Samaritans.

For another Biblical reading, Ecclesiasticus 10:1-18

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley, 1740
Tune: Hollingside, Aberystwyth.

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j125.html

Jesus, Lover of my soul,
let me to thy bosom fly,
while the nearer waters roll,
while the tempest still is high:
hide me, O my Savior, hide,
till the storm of life be past;
safe into the haven guide,
O receive my soul at last.

Other refuge have I none,
hangs my helpless soul on thee;
leave, ah! leave me not alone,
still support and comfort me!
All my trust on thee is stayed;
all my help from thee I bring;
cover my defenseless head
with the shadow of thy wing.

Thou, O Christ, art all I want;
mor than all in thee I find;
raise the fallen, cheer the faint,
heal the sick, and lead the blind.
Just and holy is thy Name;
I am all unrighteousness;
false and full of sin I am;
thou art full of truth and grace.

Plenteous grace with thee is found,
grace to cover all my sin;
let the healing streams abound,
make and keep me pure within.
Thou of life the fountain art,
freely let me take of thee:
spring thou up within my heart,
rise to all eternity.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
Merciful God, we praise you that you give strength for every weakness,
forgiveness for our failures, and new beginnings in Jesus Christ.
Especially we thank you for

     the guidance of your Spirit through this day...
     (We thank you, Lord.)
     signs of new life and hope...
     people who have helped us...
     those who struggle for justice...
     expressions of love unexpected or undeserved...

Almighty God, you know all needs before we speak our prayers, yet you
welcome our concerns for others in Jesus Christ. Especially we pray for

     those who keep watch over the sick and dying...
     (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     those who weep with the grieving...
     those who are without faith and cannot accept your love...
     those who grow old...
     Reformed, Presbyterian, and Lutheran churches...
     the Diocese of Chotanagpur, India) The Rt Revd Zechariah James Terom,
Bishop...

God our Father,
glorious in giving and restoring life,
do not hide your face from your people
overcome with loneliness and fear;
turn our mourning into dancing
and raise us up with your Son,
that we may rejoice in your presence for ever. Amen.

Life-giving God,
you alone have power over life and death,
over health and sickness.
Give power, wisdom and gentleness
to those who follow the lead of Florence Nightingale,
that they, bearing with them your presence,
may not only heal but bless,
and shine as lanterns of hope
in the darkest hours of pain and fear;
through Jesus Christ, the healer of body and soul,

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Lead us always to the living waters
where you promise respite and refreshment,
that we may be counted among those
who know and follow you, O Lord. Amen.

The psalms are from Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of

The canticle, the opening thanksgiving and the invitation to the Lord's
Prayer from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition, copyright ©
The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Hebrews 13:20-21

The closing sentence is from a prayer in Opening Prayers: Collects in
Contemporary Language. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.