OREMUS: 11 May 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed May 10 20:28:15 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, May 11, 2006

Blessed are you, God of peace,
who brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus,
the great shepherd of the sheep,
by the blood of the eternal covenant,
making us complete in everything good
so that we may do his will,
and working among us that which is pleasing in his sight.

Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous;*
 it is good for the just to sing praises.
Praise the Lord with the harp;*
 play to him upon the psaltery and lyre.
Sing for him a new song;*
 sound a fanfare with all your skill upon the trumpet.
For the word of the Lord is right,*
 and all his works are sure.
He loves righteousness and justice;*
 the loving-kindness of the Lord fills the whole earth.
By the word of the Lord were the heavens made,*
 by the breath of his mouth all the heavenly hosts.
He gathers up the waters of the ocean
   as in a water-skin*
 and stores up the depths of the sea.
Let all the earth fear the Lord;*
 let all who dwell in the world stand in awe of him.
For he spoke and it came to pass;*
 he commanded and it stood fast.
The Lord brings the will of the nations to naught;*
 he thwarts the designs of the peoples.
But the Lord's will stands fast for ever,*
 and the designs of his heart from age to age.
Happy is the nation whose God is the Lord!*
 happy the people he has chosen to be his own!
The Lord looks down from heaven,*
 and beholds all the people in the world.
>From where he sits enthroned he turns his gaze*
 on all who dwell on the earth.
He fashions all the hearts of them*
 and understands all their works.
There is no king that can be saved by a mighty army;*
 the strong are not delivered by great strength.nbsp;
The horse is a vain hope for deliverance;*
 for all its strength it cannot save.
Behold, the eye of the Lord
   is upon those who fear him,*
 on those who wait upon his love,
To pluck their lives from death,*
 and to feed them in time of famine.
Our soul waits for the Lord;*
 he is our help and our shield.
Indeed, our heart rejoices in him,*
 for in his holy name we put our trust.
Let your loving-kindness, O Lord, be upon us,*
 as we have put our trust in you.

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7. 9-10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
 which no one could number,

>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
 standing before the throne and the Lamb.

They were clothed in white robes
 and had palms in their hands,
 and they cried with a loud voice, saying,

'Salvation belongs to our God
 who sits on the throne,
 and to the Lamb.'

These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
 they have washed their robes
 and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;

Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
 whom they serve day and night within the temple.

And the One who sits upon the throne
 will shelter them with his presence.

They shall never again feel hunger or thirst,
 the sun shall not strike them,
 nor any scorching heat.

For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
 will be their Shepherd,

He will guide them to springs of living water,
 and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Acts 8:4-13]:

Now those who were scattered went from place to place,
proclaiming the word. Philip went down to the city of
Samaria and proclaimed the Messiah to them. The crowds
with one accord listened eagerly to what was said by
Philip, hearing and seeing the signs that he did, for
unclean spirits, crying with loud shrieks, came out of
many who were possessed; and many others who were
paralysed or lame were cured. So there was great joy in
that city.
Now a certain man named Simon had previously practised
magic in the city and amazed the people of Samaria,
saying that he was someone great. All of them, from the
least to the greatest, listened to him eagerly, saying,
'This man is the power of God that is called Great.' And
they listened eagerly to him because for a long time he
had amazed them with his magic. But when they believed
Philip, who was proclaiming the good news about the
kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were
baptized, both men and women. Even Simon himself
believed. After being baptized, he stayed constantly with
Philip and was amazed when he saw the signs and great
miracles that took place.

For another Biblical reading,
Ecclesiasticus 7:4-14

HYMN
Words: Shirley Erena Murray
Tune: Llangloffan
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f296.html

>From the waiting comes the sign,
come, Holy Spirit, come;
from the presence comes the peace--
come, Holy Spirit, come;
from the silence comes the song--
come, Holy Spirit, come
and be to us, in truth,
the sign, the peace, the song.

In the burning is the fire--
come, Holy Spirit, come;
in the spending is the gift--
come, Holy Spirit, come;
in the breaking is the life--
come, Holy Spirit, come
and be to us, in faith,
the fire, the gift, the life.

We give you praise and thanks, O God, for all gifts of
love we have received from you, and for your persistent
mercy in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you for
     work we have accomplished pleasing to you...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the faithful witness of Christian people...
     the example of righteousness we see in parents and teachers...
     the innocence and openness we see in children...
     all works of Christian compassion...

We give you our cares and concerns, O God, because we
know you are kind and care for your children in every
circumstance. Especially we pray for
     those who struggle with doubt and despair...
            (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     people afflicted with disease...
     those called to special ministries...
     people neglected or abused...
     Baptist, Disciples of Christ, and other free churches...
     the Diocese of Chile, The Rt Revd Hector Zavala, Bishop...

Blessed are you, Creator of the universe:
In your loving kindness you watch over your chosen people.
Make us witnesses to your truth
and instruments of your peace
that all may know you as the God of justice,
and praise your holy Name;
through Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Lead us always to the living waters
where you promise respite and refreshment,
that we may be counted among those
who know and follow you, O Lord. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Hebrews 13:20-21

Hymn  (c) 1992 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
In all territories except New Zealand, Australia & Asia:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
In New Zealand, Australia & Asia:  ShirleyErena Murray,
serenam at paradise.net.nz

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox
Press.

The first collect is from _Daily Prayer_, copyright (c) The Scottish Episcopal Church, 1998.
Used with permission.
http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in