OREMUS: 8 May 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun May 7 21:43:22 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Monday, May 8, 2006
Julian of Norwich, Spiritual Writer, c.1417

Blessed are you, God of peace,
who brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus,
the great shepherd of the sheep,
by the blood of the eternal covenant,
making us complete in everything good
so that we may do his will,
and working among us that which is pleasing in his sight.

I will bless the Lord at all times;*
 his praise shall ever be in my mouth.
I will glory in the Lord;*
 let the humble hear and rejoice.
Proclaim with me the greatness of the Lord;*
 let us exalt his name together.
I sought the Lord and he answered me*
 and delivered me out of all my terror.
Look upon him and be radiant,*
 and let not your faces be ashamed.
I called in my affliction and the Lord heard me*
 and saved me from all my troubles.
The angel of the Lord
   encompasses those who fear him,*
 and he will deliver them.
Taste and see that the Lord is good;*
 happy are they who trust in him!
Fear the Lord, you that are his saints,*
 for those who fear him lack nothing.
The young lions lack and suffer hunger,*
 but those who seek the Lord
   lack nothing that is good.
Come, children, and listen to me;*
 I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Who among you loves life*
 and desires long life to enjoy prosperity?
Keep your tongue from evil-speaking*
 and your lips from lying words.
Turn from evil and do good;*
 seek peace and pursue it.
The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous,*
 and his ears are open to their cry.
The face of the Lord is against those who do evil,*
 to root out the remembrance of them from the earth.
The righteous cry and the Lord hears them*
 and delivers them from all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted*
 and will save those whose spirits are crushed.
Many are the troubles of the righteous,*
 but the Lord will deliver him out of them all.
He will keep safe all his bones;*
 not one of them shall be broken.
Evil shall slay the wicked,*
 and those who hate the righteous will be punished.
The Lord ransoms the life of his servants,*
 and none will be punished who trust in him.

A Song of Julian of Norwich

God chose to be our mother in all things
and so made the foundation of his work,
most humbly and most pure,
in the Virgin's womb.

God, the perfect wisdom of all,
arrayed himself in this humble place.

Christ came in our poor flesh
to share a mother's care.

Our mothers bear us for pain and for death;
our true mother, Jesus,
bears us for joy and endless life.

Christ carried us within him in love and travail,
until the full time of his passion.

And when all was completed
and he had carried us so for joy,
still all this could not satisfy
the power of his wonderful love.

All that we owe is redeemed in truly loving God,
for the love of Christ works in us;
Christ is the one whom we love.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Acts 4:13-22]:

Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John and
realized that they were uneducated and ordinary men, they
were amazed and recognized them as companions of Jesus.
When they saw the man who had been cured standing beside
them, they had nothing to say in opposition. So they
ordered them to leave the council while they discussed
the matter with one another. They said, 'What will we do
with them? For it is obvious to all who live in Jerusalem
that a notable sign has been done through them; we cannot
deny it. But to keep it from spreading further among the
people, let us warn them to speak no more to anyone in
this name.' So they called them and ordered them not to
speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. But Peter and
John answered them, 'Whether it is right in God's sight
to listen to you rather than to God, you must judge; for
we cannot keep from speaking about what we have seen and
heard.' After threatening them again, they let them go,
finding no way to punish them because of the people, for
all of them praised God for what had happened. For the
man on whom this sign of healing had been performed was
more than forty years old.

For another Biblical reading,
Ecclesiasticus 4:1-10

HYMN
Words: Alan Gaunt (1935-), after Julian of Norwich (c)
Tune: Aus der Tiefe (Heinlein)
httphttp://oremus.org/hymnal/l/l900.html

Listen, frightened spirits, hear!
Christ has spoken loud and clear:
'Through all tempest, pain and fear,
You shall not be overcome.'

When you agonize and grieve,
Call to mind his cross, believe
Love like this will not deceive.
You shall not be overcome.

Though you suffer grievous ill,
Dare to trust his promise still;
Sure, in God's unchanging will,
You shall not be overcome.

In your trouble and distress,
Though your faith grow less and less,
Grounded in Christ's faithfulness,
You shall not be overcome.

Word of Life, once crucified,
Resurrected Love, who died,
Held for ever at your side,
We shall not be overcome!

We rejoice in your generous goodness, O God, and
celebrate your lavish gifts to us this day, for you have
shown your love in giving Jesus Christ for the salvation
of the world. Especially we give thanks for
     the labors of those who have served us today...
                             (We thank you, Lord)
     friends with whom we have shared...
     those whom we love and have loved us...
     opportunities for our work to help others...
     all beauty that delights us...

Gracious God, we know you are close to all in need, and
by our prayers for others we come closer to you. We are
bold to claim for others your promises of new life in
Jesus Christ, as we claim them for ourselves. Especially
we pray for
     those in dangerous occupations...
                              (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     physicians and nurses...
     those who are ill or confined to nursing homes...
     for those whom we love and for those who love us...
     those who mourn...
     the Roman Catholic Church...
     the Diocese of Chester, England, The Rt Revd Dr Peter Robert Forster, Bishop...

Hear us, Lord, when we cry to you.
Calm our bodies and minds with the peace
which passes understanding,
and make us radiant with the knowledge of your goodness;
through Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.

Eternal God,
whose blessings overflow,
grant us the knowledge of your beloved Julian,
that we may keep the watch of prayer
and proclaim your marvelous wisdom
made manifest in our Savior Jesus Christ,
whose love is sovereign over all creation. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Lead us always to the living waters
where you promise respite and refreshment,
that we may be counted among those
who know and follow you, O Lord. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Hebrews 13:20-21

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in

Hymn (c) by Stainer & Bell Ltd.
(admin. by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188).
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

The second collect is from _For All the Saints_, (c) General
Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, 1994.

The Lady Juliana was born about 1342, and when she was thirty years old, she
became gravely ill and was expected to die. Then, on the seventh day, the
medical crisis passed, and she had a series of fifteen visions, or "showings," in
which she was led to contemplate the Passion of Christ. These brought her
great peace and joy. She became an anchoress, living in a small hut near to the
church in Norwich, where she devoted the rest of her life to prayer and
contemplation of the meaning of her visions. The results of her meditations she
wrote in a book called Revelations of Divine Love, available in modern English
in a Penguin Paperback edition. During her lifetime, she became known as a
counselor, whose advice combined spiritual insight with common sense, and
many persons came to speak with her. Since her death, many more have found
help in her writings. The precise date of her death is uncertain.

Her book is a tender meditation on God's eternal and all-embracing love, as
expressed to us in the Passion of Christ. She describes seeing God holding a
tiny thing in his hand, like a small brown nut, which seemed so fragile and
insignificant that she wondered why it did not crumble before her eyes. She
understood that the thing was the entire created universe, which is as nothing
compared to its Creator, and she was told, "God made it, God loves it, God
keeps it." She was concerned that sometimes when we are faced wiith a
difficult moral decision, it seems that no matter which way we decide, we will
have acted from motives that are less then completely pure, so that neither
decision is defensible. She finally wrote: "It is enough to be sure of the deed.
Our courteous Lord will deign to redeem the motive."

A matter that greatly troubled her was the fate of those who through no fault
of their own had never heard the Gospel. She never received a direct answer to
her questions about them, except to be told that whatever God does is done in
Love, and therefore "that all shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner
of thing shall be well." [James Kiefer, abridged]