OREMUS: 6 May 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri May 5 19:25:09 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, May 6, 2006

Blessed are you, God of life,
in your risen Son
you reveal your abiding presence among us
and call us in our baptism to lives of worship and service,
that we may be his witnesses
to the farthest reaches of the earth.

Ascribe to the Lord, you gods,*
 ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
Ascribe to the Lord the glory due to his name;*
 worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.
The voice of the Lord is upon the waters;
   the God of glory thunders;*
 the Lord is upon the mighty waters.
The voice of the Lord is a powerful voice;*
 the voice of the Lord is a voice of splendour.
The voice of the Lord breaks the cedar trees;*
 the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon;
He makes Lebanon skip like a calf,*
 and Mount Hermon like a young wild ox.
The voice of the Lord splits the flames of fire;
   the voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness;*
 the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
The voice of the Lord makes the oak trees writhe*
 and strips the forests bare.
And in the temple of the Lord*
 all are crying, 'Glory!'
The Lord sits enthroned above the flood;*
 the Lord sits enthroned as king for evermore.
The Lord shall give strength to his people;*
 the Lord shall give his people the blessing of peace.

Psalm 100

Be joyful in the Lord, all you lands;*
 serve the Lord with gladness
   and come before his presence with a song.
Know this: The Lord himself is God;*
 he himself has made us and we are his;
   we are his people and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving;
   go into his courts with praise;*
 give thanks to him and call upon his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting;*
 and his faithfulness endures from age to age.

A Song of God's Grace (Ephesians 1:3-10)

Blessed are you,
the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
for you have blest us in Christ Jesus
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.

You chose us to be yours in Christ
before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and blameless before you.

In love you destined us for adoption as your children,
through Jesus Christ,
according to the purpose of your will,

To the praise of your glorious grace,
which you freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.

In you, we have redemption
through the blood of Christ,
the forgiveness of our sins,

According to the riches of your grace,
which you have lavished upon us.

You have made known to us, in all wisdom and insight,
the mystery of your will,

According to your purpose
which you set forth in Christ,
as a plan for the fullness of time,

To unite all things in Christ,
things in heaven and things on earth.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Exodus 16:4-15]:

The Lord said to Moses, 'I am going to rain bread from
heaven for you, and each day the people shall go out and
gather enough for that day. In that way I will test them,
whether they will follow my instruction or not. On the
sixth day, when they prepare what they bring in, it will
be twice as much as they gather on other days.' So Moses
and Aaron said to all the Israelites, 'In the evening you
shall know that it was the Lord who brought you out of
the land of Egypt, and in the morning you shall see the
glory of the Lord, because he has heard your complaining
against the Lord. For what are we, that you complain
against us?' And Moses said, 'When the Lord gives you
meat to eat in the evening and your fill of bread in the
morning, because the Lord has heard the complaining that
you utter against him what are we? Your complaining is
not against us but against the Lord.'
Then Moses said to Aaron, 'Say to the whole congregation
of the Israelites, "Draw near to the Lord, for he has
heard your complaining." ' And as Aaron spoke to the
whole congregation of the Israelites, they looked towards
the wilderness, and the glory of the Lord appeared in the
cloud. The Lord spoke to Moses and said, 'I have heard
the complaining of the Israelites; say to them, "At
twilight you shall eat meat, and in the morning you shall
have your fill of bread; then you shall know that I am
the Lord your God." '
In the evening quails came up and covered the camp; and
in the morning there was a layer of dew around the camp.
When the layer of dew lifted, there on the surface of the
wilderness was a fine flaky substance, as fine as frost
on the ground. When the Israelites saw it, they said to
one another, 'What is it?' For they did not know what it
was. Moses said to them, 'It is the bread that the Lord
has given you to eat.

For another Biblical reading,
Revelation 2:12-17

HYMN
Words: stanzas 1-2: Moravian, 1832;
stanzas 3-4: James Montgomery, 1825
Tune: St. Agnes
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s110.html

 Shepherd of souls, refresh and bless
thy chosen pilgrim flock
with manna in the wilderness,
with water from the rock.

We would not live by bread alone,
but by thy word of grace,
in strength of which we travel on
to our abiding place.

Be known to us in breaking bread,
and do not then depart;
Savior, abide with us, and spread
thy table in our heart.

Lord, sup with us in love divine,
thy Body and thy Blood,
that living bread, that heavenly wine,
be our immortal food.

Jesus, Light of the world,
bring the light and peace of your Gospel
to the nations.
We pray for the Diocese of Chennai, India, The Rt Revd V Devasahayam, Bishop.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, Bread of life,
give food to the hungry
and nourish us all with your Word.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, our Way, our Truth, our Life,
be with us and all who follow in the way.
Deepen our appreciation of your truth
and fill us with your life.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, Good Shepherd,
who gave your life for the sheep,
recover the straggler,
bind up the injured,
strengthen the sick
and lead the healthy and strong to new pastures.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, the Resurrection and the Life,
we give you thanks for all who have lived and believed in you.
Raise us with them to eternal life.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

God of mystery and power,
open our eyes to the flame of your love,
and open our ears to the thunder of your justice,
that we may receive your gifts of blessing and peace,
to the glory of your Name;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Stir up our faith, O God of life,
that our hearts may burn within us
at the sound of Jesus' word,
and our eyes be opened to recognize him
in the breaking of the bread. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence use sentences
from three prayers in _Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary
Language_.