OREMUS: 4 May 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed May 3 20:44:31 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, May 4, 2006
Monnica, Mother of Augustine of Hippo, 387

Blessed are you, God of life,
in your risen Son
you reveal your abiding presence among us
and call us in our baptism to lives of worship and service,
that we may be his witnesses
to the farthest reaches of the earth.

The Lord said to my lord, 'Sit at my right hand,*
 until I make your enemies your footstool.'
The Lord will send the sceptre of your power
   out of Zion,*
 saying, 'Rule over your enemies round about you.
'Princely state has been yours
   from the day of your birth,*
 in the beauty of holiness have I begotten you,
   like dew from the womb of the morning.'
The Lord has sworn and he will not recant:*
 'You are a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.'

   When Israel came out of Egypt,*
 the house of Jacob from a people of strange speech,
Judah became God's sanctuary*
 and Israel his dominion.
The sea beheld it and fled;*
 Jordan turned and went back.
The mountains skipped like rams,*
 and the little hills like young sheep.
What ailed you, O sea, that you fled?*
 O Jordan, that you turned back?
You mountains, that you skipped like rams?*
 you little hills like young sheep?
Tremble, O earth, at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the God of Jacob,
Who turned the hard rock into a pool of water*
 and flint-stone into a flowing spring.

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7. 9-10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
 which no one could number,

>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
 standing before the throne and the Lamb.

They were clothed in white robes
 and had palms in their hands,
 and they cried with a loud voice, saying,

'Salvation belongs to our God
 who sits on the throne,
 and to the Lamb.'

These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
 they have washed their robes
 and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;

Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
 whom they serve day and night within the temple.

And the One who sits upon the throne
 will shelter them with his presence.

They shall never again feel hunger or thirst,
 the sun shall not strike them,
 nor any scorching heat.

For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
 will be their Shepherd,

He will guide them to springs of living water,
 and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Acts 3:1-10]:

One day Peter and John were going up to the temple at the
hour of prayer, at three o'clock in the afternoon. And a
man lame from birth was being carried in. People would
lay him daily at the gate of the temple called the
Beautiful Gate so that he could ask for alms from those
entering the temple. When he saw Peter and John about to
go into the temple, he asked them for alms. Peter looked
intently at him, as did John, and said, 'Look at us.' And
he fixed his attention on them, expecting to receive
something from them. But Peter said, 'I have no silver or
gold, but what I have I give you; in the name of Jesus
Christ of Nazareth, stand up and walk.' And he took him
by the right hand and raised him up; and immediately his
feet and ankles were made strong. Jumping up, he stood
and began to walk, and he entered the temple with them,
walking and leaping and praising God. All the people saw
him walking and praising God, and they recognized him as
the one who used to sit and ask for alms at the Beautiful
Gate of the temple; and they were filled with wonder and
amazement at what had happened to him.

For another Biblical reading,

Ecclesiasticus 1:1-10, 18-27

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley, 1747
Tune: Hyfrydol, Love Divine, Blaenwern
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l531.html

Love divine, all loves excelling,
joy of heaven, to earth come down,
fix in us thy humble dwelling,
all thy faithful mercies crown.
Jesus, thou art all compassion,
pure, unbounded love thou art;
visit us with thy salvation,
enter every trembling heart.

Come, almighty to deliver,
let us all thy life receive;
suddenly return, and never,
nevermore thy temples leave.
Thee we would be always blessing,
serve thee as thy hosts above,
pray, and praise thee without ceasing,
glory in thy perfect love.

Finish then thy new creation;
pure and spotless let us be;
let us see thy great salvation
perfectly restored in thee:
changed from glory into glory,
till in heaven we take our place,
till we cast our crowns before thee,
lost in wonder, love, and praise.

O Christ, in your resurrection,
the heavens and the earth rejoice:
Alleluia!

By your resurrection you broke open the gates of hell,
and destroyed sin and death.
Keep us victorious over sin.

By your resurrection you raised the dead,
and brought us from death to life.
Guide us in the way of eternal life.

By your resurrection you confounded your guards and executioners,
and filled the disciples with joy.
Give us joy in your service.

By your resurrection you proclaimed good news to the women and apostles,
and brought salvation to the whole world.
Direct our lives as your new creation.

By your resurrection you give new life to your people, the Church.
We pray especially for the Diocese of Chandigarh,
The Most Revd Joel Vidyasagar Mal, Bishop.
Send us out to do the work you have given us to do.

All creation trembles before you, Lord God,
for you have plumbed the deep waters of death
and have brought us forth as new-born into your sanctuary:
may your presence go before us to guide us
   into your kingdom;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God,
who heard the prayers
and gathered up the loving tears of Monnica
for the conversion of her child Augustine,
deepen our devotion, we pray,
and help us to work in accordance with your will,
that we may bring others,
even our own kindred,
to the knowledge and love Jesus Christ;

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Stir up our faith, O God of life,
that our hearts may burn within us
at the sound of Jesus' word,
and our eyes be opened to recognize him
in the breaking of the bread. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence use sentences
from three prayers in _Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary
Language_.