OREMUS: 3 May 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue May 2 23:21:00 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Wednesday, May 3, 2006

Blessed are you, God of life,
in your risen Son
you reveal your abiding presence among us
and call us in our baptism to lives of worship and service,
that we may be his witnesses
to the farthest reaches of the earth.

Be joyful in God, all you lands;*
 sing the glory of his name;
   sing the glory of his praise.
Say to God, 'How awesome are your deeds!*
 because of your great strength
   your enemies cringe before you.
'All the earth bows down before you,*
 sings to you, sings out your name.'
Come now and see the works of God,*
 how wonderful he is in his doing towards all people.
He turned the sea into dry land,
   so that they went through the water on foot,*
 and there we rejoiced in him.
In his might he rules for ever;
   his eyes keep watch over the nations;*
 let no rebel rise up against him.
Bless our God, you peoples;*
 make the voice of his praise to be heard;
Who holds our souls in life,*
 and will not allow our feet to slip.
For you, O God, have proved us;*
 you have tried us just as silver is tried.
You brought us into the snare;*
 you laid heavy burdens upon our backs.
You let enemies ride over our heads;
   we went through fire and water;*
 but you brought us out into a place of refreshment.
I will enter your house with burnt-offerings
   and will pay you my vows,*
 which I promised with my lips
   and spoke with my mouth when I was in trouble.
I will offer you sacrifices of fat beasts
   with the smoke of rams;*
 I will give you oxen and goats.
Come and listen, all you who fear God,*
 and I will tell you what he has done for me.
I called out to him with my mouth,*
 and his praise was on my tongue.
If I had found evil in my heart,*
 the Lord would not have heard me;
But in truth God has heard me;*
 he has attended to the voice of my prayer.
Blessed be God, who has not rejected my prayer,*
 nor withheld his love from me.

A Song of Faith (1 Peter 1.3-4,18-21)

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ!

By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

Into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading,
kept in heaven for you.

Who are being protected by the power of God
through faith for a salvation,
ready to be revealed in the last time.

You were ransomed from the futile ways of your ancestors
not with perishable things like silver or gold

But with the precious blood of Christ
like that of a lamb without spot or stain.

Through him you have confidence in God,
who raised him from the dead and gave him glory,
so that your faith and hope are set on God.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Ezekiel 47:1-12]:

Then he brought me back to the entrance of the temple;
there, water was flowing from below the threshold of the
temple towards the east (for the temple faced east); and
the water was flowing down from below the south end of
the threshold of the temple, south of the altar. Then he
brought me out by way of the north gate, and led me round
on the outside to the outer gate that faces towards the
east; and the water was coming out on the south side.
Going on eastwards with a cord in his hand, the man
measured one thousand cubits, and then led me through the
water; and it was ankle-deep. Again he measured one
thousand, and led me through the water; and it was
knee-deep. Again he measured one thousand, and led me
through the water; and it was up to the waist. Again he
measured one thousand, and it was a river that I could
not cross, for the water had risen; it was deep enough to
swim in, a river that could not be crossed. He said to
me, 'Mortal, have you seen this?'
Then he led me back along the bank of the river. As I
came back, I saw on the bank of the river a great many
trees on one side and on the other. He said to me, 'This
water flows towards the eastern region and goes down into
the Arabah; and when it enters the sea, the sea of
stagnant waters, the water will become fresh. Wherever
the river goes, every living creature that swarms will
live, and there will be very many fish, once these waters
reach there. It will become fresh; and everything will
live where the river goes. People will stand fishing
beside the sea from En-gedi to En-eglaim; it will be a
place for the spreading of nets; its fish will be of a
great many kinds, like the fish of the Great Sea. But its
swamps and marshes will not become fresh; they are to be
left for salt. On the banks, on both sides of the river,
there will grow all kinds of trees for food. Their leaves
will not wither nor their fruit fail, but they will bear
fresh fruit every month, because the water for them flows
from the sanctuary. Their fruit will be for food, and
their leaves for healing.'

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 9:10-20

HYMN
Words: Fred Kaan (c)
Tune: Westminster Abbey, Picardy
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f212.html

For the healing of the nations,
Lord, we pray with one accord,
for a just and equal sharing
of the things that earth affords.
To a life of love in action
help us rise and pledge our word.

Lead us forward into freedom,
from despair your world release,
that, redeemed from war and hatred,
all may come and go in peace.
Show us how through care and goodness
fear will die and hope increase.

All that kills abundant living,
let it from the earth be banned:
pride of status, race or schooling,
dogmas that obscure your plan.
In our common quest for justice
may we hallow brief life's span.

You, Creator God, have written
your great name on humankind;
for our growing in your likeness
bring the life of Christ to mind;
that by our response and service
earth its destiny may find.

To Christ, the Lamb who was slain,
and who now lives in the glory of the Father,
let us raise the voice of praise, saying:
Lord, have mercy.

Lord Jesus, you are the Amen, the faithful witness,
the first of God's creation:
Lord, have mercy

You are Alpha and Omega,
the one who is, and was, and who is to come:
Lord, have mercy

You search into the thoughts and affections
of all people:
Lord, have mercy

You reprove and chasten
those whom you love:
Lord, have mercy

You open the eyes of the blind
and set the prisoners free:
Lord, have mercy

In your paschal victory,
you have proclaimed the coming of the kingdom:
Lord, have mercy

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of
Central Zimbabwe, The Rt Revd Ishmael Mukuwanda, Bishop.
Lord, have mercy

God of power and might,
you bring your people out of darkness and slavery
into light and freedom through the waters of salvation.
Receive our sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving,
and keep us always in your steadfast love;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Stir up our faith, O God of life,
that our hearts may burn within us
at the sound of Jesus' word,
and our eyes be opened to recognize him
in the breaking of the bread. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence use sentences
from three prayers in _Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary
Language_.

Hymn (c) 1968 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk