OREMUS: 30 March 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Mar 29 21:12:31 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, March 30, 2006

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 25

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul;
   my God, I put my trust in you;*
 let me not be humiliated,
   nor let my enemies triumph over me.
Let none who look to you be put to shame;*
 let the treacherous be disappointed in their schemes.
Show me your ways, O Lord,*
 and teach me your paths.
Lead me in your truth and teach me,*
 for you are the God of my salvation;
   in you have I trusted all the day long.
Remember, O Lord, your compassion and love,*
 for they are from everlasting.
Remember not the sins of my youth
   and my transgressions;*
 remember me according to your love
   and for the sake of your goodness, O Lord.
Gracious and upright is the Lord;*
 therefore he teaches sinners in his way.
He guides the humble in doing right*
 and teaches his way to the lowly.
All the paths of the Lord are love and faithfulness*
 to those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.
For your name's sake, O Lord,*
 forgive my sin, for it is great.
Who are they who fear the Lord?*
 he will teach them the way that they should choose.
They shall dwell in prosperity,*
 and their offspring shall inherit the land.
The Lord is a friend to those who fear him*
 and will show them his covenant.
My eyes are ever looking to the Lord,*
 for he shall pluck my feet out of the net.
Turn to me and have pity on me,*
 for I am left alone and in misery.
The sorrows of my heart have increased;*
 bring me out of my troubles.
Look upon my adversity and misery*
 and forgive me all my sin.
Look upon my enemies, for they are many,*
 and they bear a violent hatred against me.
Protect my life and deliver me;*
 let me not be put to shame, for I have trusted in you.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me,*
 for my hope has been in you.
Deliver Israel, O God,*
 out of all his troubles.

A Song of Jonah (Jonah 2:2-7,9)

I called to you, O God, out of my distress
and you answered me;
out of the belly of Sheol I cried,
and you heard my voice.

You cast me into the deep,
into the heart of the seas,
and the flood surrounded me,
all your waves and billows passed over me.

Then I said, I am driven away from your sight;
how shall I ever look again upon your holy temple?

The waters closed in over me,
the deep was round about me;
weeds were wrapped around my head
at the roots of the mountains.

I went down to the land whose bars closed upon me for ever,
yet you brought up my life from the depths, O God.

As my life was ebbing away, I remembered you, O God,
and my prayer came to you, into your holy temple.

With the voice of thanksgiving, I will sacrifice to you;
what I have vowed I will pay,
deliverance belongs to the Lord!

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [John 4:16-30]:

Jesus said to her, 'Go, call your husband, and come
back.' The woman answered him, 'I have no husband.' Jesus
said to her, 'You are right in saying, "I have no
husband"; for you have had five husbands, and the one you
have now is not your husband. What you have said is
true!' The woman said to him, 'Sir, I see that you are a
prophet. Our ancestors worshipped on this mountain, but
you say that the place where people must worship is in
Jerusalem.' Jesus said to her, 'Woman, believe me, the
hour is coming when you will worship the Father neither
on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. You worship what you
do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is
from the Jews. But the hour is coming, and is now here,
when the true worshippers will worship the Father in
spirit and truth, for the Father seeks such as these to
worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him
must worship in spirit and truth.' The woman said to him,
'I know that Messiah is coming' (who is called Christ).
'When he comes, he will proclaim all things to us.' Jesus
said to her, 'I am he, the one who is speaking to
you.'
Just then his disciples came. They were astonished that
he was speaking with a woman, but no one said, 'What do
you want?' or, 'Why are you speaking with her?' Then the
woman left her water-jar and went back to the city. She
said to the people, 'Come and see a man who told me
everything I have ever done! He cannot be the Messiah,
can he?' They left the city and were on their way to him.

For another Biblical reading,
Job 30:1-11

HYMN
Words: Scottish Paraphrases, 1781
Tune: Bishopthorpe
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b074.html

Behold! the mountain of the Lord
in latter days shall rise
on mountain tops above the hills,
and draw the wondering eyes.

To this the joyful nations round,
all tribes and tongues, shall flow;
up to the hill of God, they'll say,
and to his house we'll go.

The beam that shines from Zion hill
shall lighten every land;
the King who reigns in Salem's towers
shall all the world command.

Among the nations he shall judge;
his judgments truth shall guide;
his scepter shall protect the just,
and quell the sinner's pride.

No strife shall vex Messiah's reign
or mar the peaceful years;
to plowshares men shall beat their swords,
to pruning-hooks their spears.

No longer hosts, encountering hosts,
shall crowds of slain deplore;
they hang the trumpet in the hall,
and study war no more.

Come then, O come, from every land
to worship at his shrine;
and, walking in the light of God,
with holy beauties shine.

Lord, open a path for your Word
To declare the mystery of Christ.

Turn now, O God of hosts;
Behold and tend the vine you have planted.

May your people rejoice and sing,
And your ministers be clothed with salvation.

May they stand and feed your flock
In the strength of your name.

Keep from trouble all those who trust in you
And forget not the poor for ever.

Have mercy, O Lord, upon us,
As we have put our hope in you.

For your Church, O Lord, we pray, especially
the Diocese of Butare, Rwanda, The Rt Revd Venuste Mutiganda, Bishop.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Almighty and most merciful God,
drive from us all weakness of body, mind, and spirit;
that, being restored to wholeness,
we may with free hearts become what you intend us to be
and accomplish what you want us to do;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

May God give us
his comfort and his peace,