OREMUS: 29 March 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Mar 28 23:52:06 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Wednesday, March 29, 2006
John Keble, Priest, Tractarian, Poet, 1866

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 3

Lord, how many adversaries I have!*
 how many there are who rise up against me!
How many there are who say of me,*
 'There is no help for him in his God.'
But you, O Lord, are a shield about me;*
 you are my glory, the one who lifts up my head.
I call aloud upon the Lord*
 and he answers me from his holy hill;
I lie down and go to sleep;*
 I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.
I do not fear the multitudes of people*
 who set themselves against me all around.
Rise up, O Lord; set me free, O my God;*
 surely, you will strike all my enemies across the face,
   you will break the teeth of the wicked.
Deliverance belongs to the Lord.*
 Your blessing be upon your people!

Psalm 6

Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger;*
 do not punish me in your wrath.
Have pity on me, Lord, for I am weak;*
 heal me, Lord, for my bones are racked.
My spirit shakes with terror;*
 how long, O Lord, how long?
Turn, O Lord, and deliver me;*
 save me for your mercy's sake.
For in death no one remembers you;*
 and who will give you thanks in the grave?
I grow weary because of my groaning;*
 every night I drench my bed
   and flood my couch with tears.
My eyes are wasted with grief*
 and worn away because of all my enemies.
Depart from me, all evildoers,*
 for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my supplication;*
 the Lord accepts my prayer.
All my enemies shall be confounded and quake with fear;*
 they shall turn back and suddenly be put to shame.

A Song of the Word of the Lord (Isaiah 55:6-11)

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
call upon him while he is near;

Let the wicked abandon their ways,
and the unrighteous their thoughts;

Return to the Lord,
who will have mercy;
to our God, who will richly pardon.

'For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways', says the Lord.

'For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

'As the rain and the snow come down from above,
and return not again but water the earth,

'Bringing forth life and giving growth,
seed for sowing and bread to eat,

'So is my word that goes forth from my mouth;
it will not return to me fruitless,

'But it will accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the task I gave it.'

Psalm 147:13-end

Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [John 4:1-15]:

Now when Jesus learned that the Pharisees had heard,
'Jesus is making and baptizing more disciples than John'
although it was not Jesus himself but his disciples who
baptized  he left Judea and started back to Galilee. But
he had to go through Samaria. So he came to a Samaritan
city called Sychar, near the plot of ground that Jacob
had given to his son Joseph. Jacob's well was there, and
Jesus, tired out by his journey, was sitting by the well.
It was about noon.

A Samaritan woman came to draw water, and Jesus said to
her, 'Give me a drink'. (His disciples had gone to the
city to buy food.) The Samaritan woman said to him, 'How
is it that you, a Jew, ask a drink of me, a woman of
Samaria?' (Jews do not share things in common with
Samaritans.) Jesus answered her, 'If you knew the gift of
God, and who it is that is saying to you, "Give me a
drink", you would have asked him, and he would have given
you living water.' The woman said to him, 'Sir, you have
no bucket, and the well is deep. Where do you get that
living water? Are you greater than our ancestor Jacob,
who gave us the well, and with his sons and his flocks
drank from it?' Jesus said to her, 'Everyone who drinks
of this water will be thirsty again, but those who drink
of the water that I will give them will never be thirsty.
The water that I will give will become in them a spring
of water gushing up to eternal life.' The woman said to
him, 'Sir, give me this water, so that I may never be
thirsty or have to keep coming here to draw water.'

For another Biblical reading,
Job 29:1-20

HYMN
Words: Timothy Dudley-Smith (c)
Tune: Oasis
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a363.html

As water to the thirsty,
as beauty to the eyes,
as strength that follows weakness,
as truth instead of lies,
as songtime and springtime
and summertime to be,
so is my Lord,
my living Lord,
so is my Lord to me.

Like calm in place of clamor,
like peace that follows pain,
like meeting after parting,
like sunshine after rain,
like moonlight and starlight
and sunlight on the sea,
so is my Lord,
my living Lord,
so is my Lord to me.

As sleep that follows fever,
as gold instead of grey,
as freedom after bondage,
as sunrise to the day,
as home to the traveler
and all we long to see,
so is my Lord,
my living Lord,
so is my Lord to me.

Teach us, O Lord, the way of your statutes:
And lead us in the path of your commandments.

Keep our nation under your care:
And guide us in justice and truth.

O Lord, deal graciously with your servants;
teach us discernment and knowledge.

Let not the needy be forgotten:
Nor the hope of the poor be taken away.

Guide the meek in judgement:
And teach your ways to the gentle.

Lord, remember your people:
Whom you have purchased and redeemed of old.

We pray for your Church, O Lord, especially
the Diocese of Busoga, Uganda, The Rt Revd Michael Kyomya, Bishop.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

O Lord our God,
you sustained your ancient people in the wilderness
with bread from heaven:
Feed now your pilgrim flock with the food
that endures to everlasting life;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Holy God and Lord of life,
by the death and resurrection of your Son Jesus Christ
you delivered and saved the world:
Grant that by faith in him who suffered on the cross
we may triumph in the power of his victory;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Father of the eternal Word,
in whose encompassing love
all things in peace and order move:
grant that, as your servant John Keble
adored you in all creation,
so may we have a humble heart of love
for the mysteries of your Church
and know your love to be new every morning,

May God give us
his comfort and his peace,
his light and his joy,
in this world and the next. Amen.

Hymn (c) 1979 Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.

For permission to reproduce this text in all territories except the UK, Europe & Africa, contact:

Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
For UK, Europe & Africa: contact: Bishop Timothy Dudley-Smith, 9 Ashlands, Ford, Salisbury,
Wiltshire  SP4 6DY  England

 John Keble, born 1792, ordained Priest in 1816, tutor at Oxford from 1818 to
1823, published in 1827 a book of poems called The Christian Year, containing
poems for the Sundays and Feast Days of the Church Year. The book sold
many copies, and was highly effective in spreading Keble's devotional and
theological views. His style was more popular then than now, but some of his
poems are still in use as hymns, including: :New every morning is the love,"
"Sun of my soul, thou Savior dear," and "Blest are the pure in heart."

He was Professor of Poetry at Oxford from 1831 to 1841, and from 1836 until
his death thirty years later he was priest of a small parish in the village of
Hursley near Winchester.

On 14 July 1833, he preached the Assize Sermon at Oxford. (This sermon
marks the opening of a term of the civil and criminal courts, and is officially
addressed to the judges and officers of the court, exhorting them to deal
justly.) His sermon was called "National Apostasy," and denounced the Nation
for turning away from God, and for regarding the Church as a mere institution
of society, rather than as the prophetic voice of God, commissioned by Him to
warn and instruct the people. The sermon was a nationwide sensation, and is
considered to be the beginning of the religious revival known as the Tractarian
Movement (so called because of a series of 90 Tracts, or pamphlets addressed
to the public, which largely influenced the course of the movement) or as the
Oxford Movement. Because the Tractarians emphasized the importance of the
ministry and of the sacraments as God-given ordinances, they were suspected
by their opponents of Roman Catholic tendencies, and the suspicion was
reinforced when some of their leaders (John Henry Newman being the most
conspicuous) did in fact become Roman Catholics. But the movement
survived, and has profoundly influenced the religious thinking, practice, and
worship of large portions of Christendom. Their insistence, for example, that it
was the normal practice for all Christians to receive the sacrament of Holy
Communion every Sunday has influenced many Christians who would never
call themselves Anglicans, let alone Tractarians.

Keble translated the works of Irenaeus of Lyons (28 June 202), and produced
an edition of the works of Richard Hooker, a distinguished Anglican
theologian (3 Nov 1600). He also wrote more books of poems, and numerous
hymn lyrics. Three years after his death, his friends and admirers established
Keble College at Oxford . [James Kiefer, slightly abridged]