OREMUS: 28 March 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Mar 27 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 5

Give ear to my words, O Lord;*
 consider my meditation.
Hearken to my cry for help, my King and my God,*
 for I make my prayer to you.
In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice;*
 early in the morning I make my appeal
   and watch for you.
For you are not a God who takes pleasure in wickedness*
 and evil cannot dwell with you.
Braggarts cannot stand in your sight;*
 you hate all those who work wickedness.
You destroy those who speak lies;*
 the bloodthirsty and deceitful, O Lord, you abhor.
But as for me, through the greatness of your mercy,
   I will go into your house;*
 I will bow down towards your holy temple in awe of you.
Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness,
   because of those who lie in wait for me;*
 make your way straight before me.
For there is no truth in their mouth;*
 there is destruction in their heart;
Their throat is an open grave;*
 they flatter with their tongue.
Declare them guilty, O God;*
 let them fall, because of their schemes.
Because of their many transgressions cast them out,*
 for they have rebelled against you.
But all who take refuge in you will be glad;*
 they will sing out their joy for ever.
You will shelter them,*
 so that those who love your name may exult in you.
For you, O Lord, will bless the righteous;*
 you will defend them with your favour as with a shield.

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd;*
 I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures*
 and leads me beside still waters.
He revives my soul*
 and guides me along right pathways for his name's sake.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
   I shall fear no evil;*
 for you are with me;
   your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You spread a table before me
   in the presence of those who trouble me;*
 you have anointed my head with oil,
   and my cup is running over.
Surely your goodness and mercy shall follow me
   all the days of my life,*
 and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

A Song of the Blessed (Matthew 5:3-10)
Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger
and thirst after righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for righteousness' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

READING [John 3:31-36]:

Jesus said, "The one who comes from above is above all;
the one who is of the earth belongs to the earth and
speaks about earthly things. The one who comes from
heaven is above all. He testifies to what he has seen and
heard, yet no one accepts his testimony. Whoever has
accepted his testimony has certified this, that God is
true. He whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for
he gives the Spirit without measure. The Father loves the
Son and has placed all things in his hands. Whoever
believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever disobeys
the Son will not see life, but must endure God's wrath."

For another Biblical reading,
Job 24:1-12

HYMN
Words: Jonathan Evans (1748-1809)
Tune: Bryn Calfaria, Regent Square
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h085.html

Hark! the voice of love and mercy
sounds aloud from Calvary;
see, it rends the rocks asunder,
shakes the earth, and veils the sky:
'It is finished! 'It is finished!'
hear the dying Savior cry.

'It is finished! O what pleasure
do the wondrous words afford!
heavenly blessings without measure
flow to us from Christ the Lord:
'It is finished! 'It is finished!'
saints the dying words record.

Finished all the types and shadows
of the ceremonial law,
Finished all that God had promised;
death and hell no more shall awe;
'It is finished! 'It is finished!'
saint, from hence your comfort draw.

Saints and angels shout his praises,
his great finished work proclaim;
all on earth and all in heaven
join to bless Emmanuel's name:
Praise ye the Lord! Praise ye the Lord!
Endless glory to the Lamb!

Show us your mercy, O Lord;
And grant us your salvation.

O Lord, save our nation;
And teach wisdom to those in authority.

Let your priests be clothed with righteousness;
Let your faithful people sing with joy.

Let your ways be known upon earth;
Your saving health among all nations.

Give your people the blessing of peace
And may all the earth be filled with your glory.

Create in us clean hearts, O God,
And renew a right spirit within us.

For your Church, O Lord, we pray, especially for
the Diocese of Bunyoro-Kitara, Uganda, The Rt Revd Nathan Kyamanywa, Bishop.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

O God,
with you is the well of life,
and in your light we see light:
Quench our thirst with living water,
and flood our darkened minds with heavenly light;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

May God give us
his comfort and his peace,
his light and his joy,