OREMUS: 27 March 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Mar 26 22:38:06 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Monday, March 27, 2006
Charles Henry Brent, Bishop of the Philippines,
and of Western New York, 1929

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 115

Not to us, O Lord, not to us,
   but to your name give glory;*
 because of your love and because of your faithfulness.
Why should the heathen say,*
 'Where then is their God?'
Our God is in heaven;*
 whatever he wills to do he does.
Their idols are silver and gold,*
 the work of human hands.
They have mouths, but they cannot speak;*
 eyes have they, but they cannot see;
They have ears, but they cannot hear;*
 noses, but they cannot smell;
They have hands, but they cannot feel;
   feet, but they cannot walk;*
 they make no sound with their throat.
Those who make them are like them,*
 and so are all who put their trust in them.
O Israel, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
O house of Aaron, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
You who fear the Lord, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
The Lord has been mindful of us and he will bless us;*
 he will bless the house of Israel;
   he will bless the house of Aaron;
He will bless those who fear the Lord,*
 both small and great together.
May the Lord increase you more and more,*
 you and your children after you.
May you be blessed by the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
The heaven of heavens is the Lord's,*
 but he entrusted the earth to its peoples.
The dead do not praise the Lord,*
 nor all those who go down into silence;
But we will bless the Lord,*
 from this time forth for evermore.

I lift up my eyes to the hills;*
 from where is my help to come?
My help comes from the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot be moved*
 and he who watches over you will not fall asleep.
Behold, he who keeps watch over Israel*
 shall neither slumber nor sleep;
The Lord himself watches over you;*
 the Lord is your shade at your right hand,
So that the sun shall not strike you by day,*
 nor the moon by night.
The Lord shall preserve you from all evil;*
 it is he who shall keep you safe.
The Lord shall watch over your going out
   and your coming in,*
 from this time forth for evermore.

A Song of Humility (Hosea 6:1-6)

Come, let us return to the Lord
who has torn us and will heal us.

God has stricken us
and will bind up our wounds.

After two days, he will revive us,
and on the third day will raise us up,
that we may live in his presence.

Let us strive to know the Lord;
his appearing is as sure as the sunrise.

He will come to us like the showers,
like the spring rains that water the earth.

'O Ephraim, how shall I deal with you?
How shall I deal with you, O Judah?

'Your love for me is like the morning mist,
like the dew that goes early away.

'Therefore, I have hewn them by the prophets,
and my judgement goes forth as the light.

'For loyalty is my desire and not sacrifice,
and the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.'

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [John 3:22-30]:

After this Jesus and his disciples went into the Judean
countryside, and he spent some time there with them and
baptized. John also was baptizing at Aenon near Salim
because water was abundant there; and people kept coming
and were being baptized  John, of course, had not yet
been thrown into prison.
Now a discussion about purification arose between John's
disciples and a Jew. They came to John and said to him,
'Rabbi, the one who was with you across the Jordan, to
whom you testified, here he is baptizing, and all are
going to him.' John answered, 'No one can receive
anything except what has been given from heaven. You
yourselves are my witnesses that I said, "I am not the
Messiah, but I have been sent ahead of him." He who has
the bride is the bridegroom. The friend of the
bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly at
the bridegroom's voice. For this reason my joy has been
fulfilled. He must increase, but I must decrease.'

For another Biblical reading,
Job 22:21-30

HYMN
Words: Arthur Campbell Aigner (1841-1919), 1894
Tune: Purpose, Benson
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g179a.html

God is working his purpose out
as year succeeds to year:
God is working his purpose out,
and the time is drawing near;
nearer and nearer draws the time,
the time that shall surely be,
when the earth shall be filled
with the glory of God
as the waters cover the sea.

>From utmost east to utmost west,
wherever foot hath trod,
by the mouth of many messengers
goes forth the voice of God;
give ear to me, ye continents,
ye isles, give ear to me,
that earth may filled
with the glory of God
as the waters cover the sea.

What can we do to work God's work,
to prosper and increase
the brotherhood of all mankind--
the reign of the Prince of Peace?
What can we do to hasten the time--
the time that shall surely be,
when the earth shall be filled
with the glory of God
as the waters cover the sea.

March we forth in the strength of God,
with the banner of Christ unfurled,
that the light of the glorious gospel of truth
may shine throughout the world:
fight we the fight with sorrow and sin
to set their captives free,
that earth may filled
with the glory of God
as the waters cover the sea.

All we can do is nothing worth
unless God blessed the deed;
vainly we hope for the harvest-tide
till God gives life to the seed;
yet nearer and nearer draws the time,
the time that shall surely be,
when the earth shall be filled
with the glory of God
as the waters cover the sea.

Save your people, Lord, and bless your inheritance,
Govern and uphold them now and always.

Day by day, we bless you;
We praise your name for ever.

Keep us today, Lord, from all sin;
Have mercy on us, Lord, have mercy.

We long for your salvation, O Lord:
grant us understanding, that we may live.

Lord, show us your love and mercy,
For we put our trust in you.

In you, Lord, is our hope:
Let us not be confounded at the last

For your Church, O Lord, we pray, especially
the Diocese of Bungoma, Kenya, The Rt Revd Eliud Wabukala, Bishop.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

O Lord our God,
in your holy Sacraments you have given us
a foretaste of the good things of your kingdom:
Direct us, we pray, in the way that leads to eternal life,
that we may come to appear before you in that place of light
where you dwell for ever with your saints;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Gracious God in heaven,
whose Son prayed that we all might be one:
Deliver us from arrogance and prejudice,
and give us wisdom and forbearance,
that, following your servant Charles Henry Brent,
we may be united in one family
with all who confess the Name of your Son Jesus Christ;

May God give us
his comfort and his peace,
his light and his joy,
in this world and the next. Amen.

The collects are from _The Proper for the Lesser Feasts and

During the Spanish-American War (1898), arising from a dispute over Cuba
and Puerto Rico, the United States also acquired Guam and the Philippines. )
In 1902, the Episcopal Church appointed Charles Brent (at that time serving as
priest in charge of a slum parish in Boston) as Missionary Bishop of the
Philippines. He arrived on the same ship with the American Governor, William
H. Taft, and carried with him the unofficial but very real prestige of the
American establishment.
Brent could easily have confined himself to providing a kind of ecclesiastical
"home away from home" for American officials and others stationed in the
Islands. Equally, he could have devoted himself chiefly to efforts to convert the
Roman Catholics, both of Spanish and of Filipino ancestry, whom the previous
government had left behind. Instead, he directed his efforts toward the
non-Christians of his diocese: the pagan Igorots of the mountains of Luzon, the
Muslims of the southern islands, the Chinese settlements in Manila, all areas in
which he made considerable inroads and established thriving Christian
communities.
He began a campaign against the opium traffic, and served on several
international commissions devoted to stamping out international traffic in
narcotics. During World War I, he was the Senior Chaplain for the American
Armed Forces in Europe. He declined three elections to bishoprics in the
United States in order to continue his work in the Philippines, but in 1918, he
accepted the position of Bishop of Western New York. His experiences in the
Philippines had aroused in him a strong concern for the cause of visible
Christian unity. He wrote:
The unity of Christendom is not a luxury, but a necessity. The world will go
limping until Christ's prayer that all may be one is answered. We must have
unity, not at all costs, but at all risks. A unified Church is the only offering we
dare present to the coming Christ, for in it alone will He find room to dwell.

He helped to organize the first World Conference on Faith and Order, which
met in Lausanne, Switzerland, in 1927. He died there in 1929, being 67 years
minus 12 days old. He wrote the first collect used above.

The writer James Thayer Addison called him "a saint of disciplined mental
vigor, one whom soldiers were proud to salute and whom children were happy
to play with, who could dominate a parliament and minister to an invalid, a
priest and bishop who gloried in the heritage of his Church, yet who stood
among all Christian brothers as one who served." [James Kiefer]