OREMUS: 26 March 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Mar 25 17:00:00 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, March 26, 2006
The Fourth Sunday in Lent

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 119:137-160

You are righteous, O Lord,*
 and upright are your judgements.
You have issued your decrees*
 with justice and in perfect faithfulness.
My indignation has consumed me,*
 because my enemies forget your words.
Your word has been tested to the uttermost,*
 and your servant holds it dear.
I am small and of little account,*
 yet I do not forget your commandments.
Your justice is an everlasting justice*
 and your law is the truth.
Trouble and distress have come upon me,*
 yet your commandments are my delight.
The righteousness of your decrees is everlasting;*
 grant me understanding, that I may live.

I call with my whole heart;*
 answer me, O Lord, that I may keep your statutes.
I call to you; O that you would save me!*
 I will keep your decrees.
Early in the morning I cry out to you,*
 for in your word is my trust.
My eyes are open in the night watches,*
 that I may meditate upon your promise.
Hear my voice, O Lord,
   according to your loving-kindness;*
 according to your judgements, give me life.
They draw near who in malice persecute me;*
 they are very far from your law.
You, O Lord, are near at hand,*
 and all your commandments are true.
Long have I known from your decrees*
 that you have established them for ever.

Behold my affliction and deliver me,*
 for I do not forget your law.
Plead my cause and redeem me;*
 according to your promise, give me life.
Deliverance is far from the wicked,*
 for they do not study your statutes.
Great is your compassion, O Lord;*
 preserve my life, according to your judgements.
There are many who persecute and oppress me,*
 yet I have not swerved from your decrees.
I look with loathing at the faithless,*
 for they have not kept your word.
See how I love your commandments!*
 O Lord, in your mercy, preserve me.
The heart of your word is truth;*
 all your righteous judgements endure for evermore.

The Song of Christ's Glory (Philippians 2:5-11)

Christ Jesus was in the form of God,
 but he did not cling to equality with God.

He emptied himself, taking the form of a servant,
 and was born in our human likeness.

Being found in human form he humbled himself,
 and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.

Therefore God has highly exalted him,
 and bestowed on him the name above every name.

That at the name of Jesus, every knee should bow,
 in heaven and on earth and under the earth;

And every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
 to the glory of God the Father.

Psalm 117

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Jeremiah 31:27-37]:

The days are surely coming, says the Lord, when I will
sow the house of Israel and the house of Judah with the
seed of humans and the seed of animals. And just as I
have watched over them to pluck up and break down, to
overthrow, destroy, and bring evil, so I will watch over
them to build and to plant, says the Lord. In those days
they shall no longer say:
'The parents have eaten sour grapes,
   and the children's teeth are set on edge.'
But all shall die for their own sins; the teeth of
everyone who eats sour grapes shall be set on edge.

The days are surely coming, says the Lord, when I will
make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the
house of Judah. It will not be like the covenant that I
made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to
bring them out of the land of Egypt a covenant that they
broke, though I was their husband, says the Lord. But
this is the covenant that I will make with the house of
Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put my law
within them, and I will write it on their hearts; and I
will be their God, and they shall be my people. No longer
shall they teach one another, or say to each other, 'Know
the Lord', for they shall all know me, from the least of
them to the greatest, says the Lord; for I will forgive
their iniquity, and remember their sin no more.

Thus says the Lord,
who gives the sun for light by day
   and the fixed order of the moon and the stars for
light by night,
who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar
   the Lord of hosts is his name:
If this fixed order were ever to cease
   from my presence, says the Lord,
then also the offspring of Israel would cease
   to be a nation before me for ever.

Thus says the Lord:
If the heavens above can be measured,
   and the foundations of the earth below can be
explored,
then I will reject all the offspring of Israel
   because of all they have done,

says the Lord.

For another Biblical reading,
Mark 15:1-20

HYMN
Words: stanzas 1-2: Moravian, 1832;
stanzas 3-4: James Montgomery, 1825
Tune: St. Agnes
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s110.html

 Shepherd of souls, refresh and bless
thy chosen pilgrim flock
with manna in the wilderness,
with water from the rock.

We would not live by bread alone,
but by thy word of grace,
in strength of which we travel on
to our abiding place.

Be known to us in breaking bread,
and do not then depart;
Savior, abide with us, and spread
thy table in our heart.

Lord, sup with us in love divine,
thy Body and thy Blood,
that living bread, that heavenly wine,
be our immortal food.

Lord, we pray for this modern world
in which faith comes hard,
where people find it difficult to raise their eyes
above the material things that are so necessary to life.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who find it hard to believe
because they have too many things,
and for those who find it hard
because they don't have enough.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who have more to eat than they need,
and those who are dying from lack of food.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for parents who, because of their poverty
and a lack of concern on the part of others,
must watch their children die.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who suffer from disease,
from confusion and guilt, from depression and fear.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who face each day with dread
because their lives are so dominated by the power of others.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are so lonely
that life is robbed of all loveliness and hope.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Lord, we pray because our love for you is a love for one
whose compassion embraces all human suffering.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

God of compassion,
you are slow to anger, and full of mercy,
welcoming sinners who return to you with penitent hearts.
Receive in your loving embrace all who come home to you.
Seat them at your bountiful table of grace,
that, with all your children, they may feast with delight
on all that satisfies the hungry heart.
We ask this through Jesus Christ our Savior,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

May God give us
his comfort and his peace,
his light and his joy,