OREMUS: 25 March 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Mar 24 17:00:04 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, March 25, 2006
The Annunciation of Our Lord Jesus Christ
 to the Blessed Virgin Mary

Blessed are you, merciful Father,
for in your Son Jesus Christ,
lowliness was taken by majesty,
weakness by strength,
mortality by eternity.
To pay the debt of our fallen state,
the nature which was inviolable
was united with a nature which was transitory.
Thus the one and same mediator between God and man,
enters into the depths of the world,
coming down from his heavenly throne,
yet not leaving his Father's glory,
begotten into a new order by a new birth.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 111

I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart,*
 in the assembly of the upright, in the congregation.
Great are the deeds of the Lord!*
 they are studied by all who delight in them.
His work is full of majesty and splendour,*
 and his righteousness endures for ever.
He makes his marvellous works to be remembered;*
 the Lord is gracious and full of compassion.
He gives food to those who fear him;*
 he is ever mindful of his covenant.
He has shown his people the power of his works*
 in giving them the lands of the nations.
The works of his hands are faithfulness and justice;*
 all his commandments are sure.
They stand fast for ever and ever,*
 because they are done in truth and equity.
He sent redemption to his people;
   he commanded his covenant for ever;*
 holy and awesome is his name.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;*
 those who act accordingly have a good understanding;
   his praise endures for ever.

Psalm 113

Give praise, you servants of the Lord;*
 praise the name of the Lord.
Let the name of the Lord be blessed,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
>From the rising of the sun to its going down*
 let the name of the Lord be praised.
The Lord is high above all nations,*
 and his glory above the heavens.
Who is like the Lord our God,
   who sits enthroned on high,*
 but stoops to behold the heavens and the earth?
He takes up the weak out of the dust*
 and lifts up the poor from the ashes.
He sets them with the princes,*
 with the princes of his people.
He makes the woman of a childless house*
 to be a joyful mother of children.

A Song of God's Chosen One (Isaiah 11.1-4a,6,9)

There shall come forth a shoot from the stock of Jesse,
and a branch shall grow out of his roots.

And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him,
the spirit of wisdom and understanding,

The spirit of counsel and might,
the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord.

He shall not judge by what his eyes see,
or decide by what his ears hear,

But with righteousness he shall judge the poor,
and decide with equity for the meek of the earth.

The wolf shall dwell with the lamb,
and the leopard shall lie down with the kid.

The calf, the lion and the fatling together,
with a little child to lead them.

They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain,
for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord
as the waters cover the sea.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Luke 1:26-38]:

In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a
town in Galilee called Nazareth, to a virgin engaged to a
man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. The
virgin's name was Mary. And he came to her and said,
'Greetings, favoured one! The Lord is with you.'  But she
was much perplexed by his words and pondered what sort of
greeting this might be. The angel said to her, 'Do not be
afraid, Mary, for you have found favour with God. And
now, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and
you will name him Jesus. He will be great, and will be
called the Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will
give to him the throne of his ancestor David. He will
reign over the house of Jacob for ever, and of his
kingdom there will be no end.' Mary said to the angel,
'How can this be, since I am a virgin?' The angel said to
her, 'The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power
of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child
to be born  will be holy; he will be called Son of God.
And now, your relative Elizabeth in her old age has also
conceived a son; and this is the sixth month for her who
was said to be barren. For nothing will be impossible
with God.' Then Mary said, 'Here am I, the servant of the
Lord; let it be with me according to your word.' Then the
angel departed from her.

For another Biblical reading,
Wisdom 9:1-12

HYMN
Words: Vincent Uher (c)
Tune: Tempus adest floridum
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/uher1.html

Sing of Mary, blest is she!
Mother of the Saviour!
"Yes!" said she to Gabriel's plea,
"Yes!" to God forever.
"Yes!" for every woman born.
"Yes!" for every nation.
"Yes!" for even the unborn.
"Yes!" for all creation.

Sing of Joseph, vexed was he,
Troubled and perplex-ed
Till an angel in a dream
Peace to him directed.
"Take the virgin as your wife.
Love her baby wholly.
Love the infant as your life.
He's God's Son most holy."

Sing of Jesus, blest is he
In the Lord's Name coming,
Born in great humility
Every person loving,
Prince of Peace and Counsellor--
Wonderful the telling!--
Came to earth to save us all
And to share his blessing.

Mary, Joseph join us now
And all saints in glory
As we tell his love for all
In the sacred story.
Angels, shepherds, and the kings
To Christ's side are running.
Let all people ready now
For his second coming.

Glory be to God on high!
Glory in the highest!
Peace on earth, goodwill to all
>From the Lord Most Highest.
Blessings come for everyone,
Graces to God's credit
>From the Father with the Son
Through the Holy Spirit.

Following the example of Mary's patient love,
we pray for grace to follow God's will.

We pray for the Church.
May it follow Mary's example of patience, humility and trust.
God of love,
hear our prayer.

We pray for women
who serve as bishops, priests, deacons and ministers in your Church.
Open our ears to their witness and teaching.
God of love,
hear our prayer.

We pray for the world.
Teach us to honor the wholeness of God's creation
in both male and female.
God of love,
hear our prayer.

We pray for mothers.
May the knowledge of your love
ease the burden of those who live with poverty or anxiety.
God of love,
hear our prayer.

We pray for women
suffering from cruelty and indifference.
Give us strength to give them comfort and relief.
God of love,
hear our prayer.

We pray for the departed,
joining our prayers with those of Mary.
In the hour of death, save us by the love of Christ.
God of love,
hear our prayer.

Redeeming God,
whose daughter Mary trusted angelic voices,
rejoiced with a song of praise,
and wept at the foot of the cross:
Give us such courage, faith and hope as hers,
that we, too, may praise you, trust you and receive you

May God so fill us with his grace,
that we in all things may accept his holy will
and with the Virgin Mary, full of grace,
rejoice in the salvation given us through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The canticle and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are (adapted) from
_Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted by Stephen Benner from a
sermon by Leo the Great.

The intercession is by Stephen Benner and uses phrases from a prayer in
_Leading Intercessions_, (c) 2000, Canterbury Press.

The collect and the closing sentence are adapted from prayers reprinted from
_THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use
of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke.
Used by permission.

Hymn (c) 1996 by Vincent Uher. All rights reserved. Reproduced with
permission.Permission granted for one time use with inclusion of
copyright notice and email notification to Fr Vincent Uher
vuher at alumni.rice.edu.

The closing sentence is adapted from a prayer in The Book of Alternative
Services of the Anglican Church of Canada.