OREMUS: 23 March 2006

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Thu Mar 23 00:14:03 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, March 23, 2006

your steadfast love is shown to every living thing;
your word calls us forth and your law revives and refreshes.
You call us to repent our misuse of your gifts,
that we may be transformed by your wisdom
to manifest for others
the mercy of our crucified and risen Lord.

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
    whom then shall I fear?*
  the Lord is the strength of my life;
    of whom then shall I be afraid?
When evildoers came upon me to eat up my flesh,*
  it was they, my foes and my adversaries,
    who stumbled and fell.
Though an army should encamp against me,*
  yet my heart shall not be afraid;
And though war should rise up against me,*
  yet will I put my trust in him.
One thing have I asked of the Lord;
    one thing I seek;*
  that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
    all the days of my life;
To behold the fair beauty of the Lord*
  and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
    he shall keep me safe in his shelter;*
  he shall hide me in the secrecy of his dwelling
    and set me high upon a rock.
Even now he lifts up my head*
  above my enemies round about me;
Therefore I will offer in his dwelling an oblation
    with sounds of great gladness;*
  I will sing and make music to the Lord.
Hearken to my voice, O Lord, when I call;*
  have mercy on me and answer me.
You speak in my heart and say, ‘Seek my face.’*
  Your face, Lord, will I seek.
Hide not your face from me,*
  nor turn away your servant in displeasure.
You have been my helper;
    cast me not away;*
  do not forsake me, O God of my salvation.
Though my father and my mother forsake me,*
  the Lord will sustain me.
Show me your way, O Lord;*
  lead me on a level path, because of my enemies.
Deliver me not into the hand of my adversaries,*
  for false witnesses have risen up against me,
    and also those who speak malice.
What if I had not believed
    that I should see the goodness of the Lord*
  in the land of the living!
O tarry and await the Lord’s pleasure;
    be strong and he shall comfort your heart;*
  wait patiently for the Lord.

A Song of Christ the Servant (1 Peter 2.21b-25

Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example,
that you should follow in his steps.

He committed no sin, no guile was found on his lips,
when he was reviled, he did not revile in turn.

When he suffered, he did not threaten,
but he trusted himself to God who judges justly.

Christ himself bore our sins in his body on the tree,
that we might die to sin and live to righteousness.

By his wounds, you have been healed,
for you were straying like sheep,
but have now returned
cato the shepherd and guardian of your souls.

  you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Jeremiah 30:10-17]:

But as for you, have no fear, my servant Jacob, says the Lord,
and do not be dismayed, O Israel;
for I am going to save you from far away,
and your offspring from the land of their captivity.
Jacob shall return and have quiet and ease,
and no one shall make him afraid.
For I am with you, says the Lord, to save you;
I will make an end of all the nations
among which I scattered you,
but of you I will not make an end.
I will chastise you in just measure,
and I will by no means leave you unpunished.

For thus says the Lord:
Your hurt is incurable,
your wound is grievous.
There is no one to uphold your cause,
no medicine for your wound,
no healing for you.
All your lovers have forgotten you;
they care nothing for you;
for I have dealt you the blow of an enemy,
the punishment of a merciless foe,
because your guilt is great,
because your sins are so numerous.
Why do you cry out over your hurt?
Your pain is incurable.
Because your guilt is great,
because your sins are so numerous,
I have done these things to you.
Therefore all who devour you shall be devoured,
and all your foes, every one of them, shall go into captivity;
those who plunder you shall be plundered,
and all who prey on you I will make a prey.
For I will restore health to you,
and your wounds I will heal,

says the Lord,
because they have called you an outcast:
'It is Zion; no one cares for her!'

For another Biblical reading, 1 Corinthians 4:1-13

HYMN
Words: Frans Mikael Fran‚n, 1812;
trans. Augustus Nelson (1863-1949)
Tune: Bereden v„g f”r Herran

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/p/p127.html

Prepare the way, O Zion!
Ye awful deeps, rise high;
sink low, ye towering mountains,
the Lord is drawing nigh;
the righteous King of glory,
foretold in sacred story.

Refrain:
O blest is he that came
in God the Father's Name.

O Zion, he approacheth,
thy Lord and King for aye!
Strew palms where he advanceth,
spread garments in his way.
God's promise faileth never,
Hosanna sound forever! Refrain

Fling wide thy portals, Zion
and hail thy glorious King;
his tidings of salvation
to every people bring,
who, waiting yet in sadness,
would sing his praise in gladness. Refrain

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
Eternal God,
you have raised Jesus Christ from the dead
and exalted him to your right hand in glory,
and through him called your Church into being,
that your people might know you,
and that they might make your name known.

We pray for the church
the Church universal, and local, especially the Diocese of Bukavu, Congo....
the unity of the Church....
the ministries of the Church....
the mission of the Church....
the renewal of the Church....
all Christians in this place....

Eternal God, we give you thanks

for the apostolic gospel committed to your Church,
the continuing presence and power of your Spirit,
the ministry of Word, Sacrament and Prayer....

for the divine mission in which we are called to share,
the will to unity and its fruit in common action,
the faithful witness of those who are true to Christ....

for all works of compassion
and every service that proclaims your love.

In peace and unity
may your people offer the unfailing sacrifice of praise,
and make your glory known;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Keep watch over your Church, O Lord, with your unfailing love;
and, since it is grounded in human weakness
and cannot maintain itself without your aid,
protect it from all danger, and keep it in the way of salvation;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

God of love,
turn our hearts to your ways;
and give us peace. Amen.

The psalms are from Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of

The canticle, the opening thanksgiving and the invitation to the Lord's
Prayer from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition, copyright ©
The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving adapts phrases from Opening Prayers:
Collects in Contemporary Language. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The closing sentence is from An Invitation to Prayer, © The Church of
England, 2001-2003.