OREMUS: 22 March 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Mar 21 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Wednesday, March 22, 2006
James De Koven, Priest, 1879

your steadfast love is shown to every living thing;
your word calls us forth and your law revives and refreshes.
You call us to repent our misuse of your gifts,
that we may be transformed by your wisdom
to manifest for others
the mercy of our crucified and risen Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 90

Lord, you have been our refuge*
 from one generation to another.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
   or the land and the earth were born,*
 from age to age you are God.
You turn us back to the dust and say,*
 'Go back, O child of earth.'
For a thousand years in your sight
   are like yesterday when it is past*
 and like a watch in the night.
You sweep us away like a dream;*
 we fade away suddenly like the grass.
In the morning it is green and flourishes;*
 in the evening it is dried up and withered.
For we consume away in your displeasure;*
 we are afraid because of your wrathful indignation.
Our iniquities you have set before you,*
 and our secret sins in the light of your countenance.
When you are angry, all our days are gone;*
 we bring our years to an end like a sigh.
The span of our life is seventy years,
   perhaps in strength even eighty;*
 yet the sum of them is but labour and sorrow,
   for they pass away quickly and we are gone.
Who regards the power of your wrath?*
 who rightly fears your indignation?
So teach us to number our days*
 that we may apply our hearts to wisdom.
Return, O Lord; how long will you tarry?*
 be gracious to your servants.
Satisfy us by your loving-kindness in the morning;*
 so shall we rejoice and be glad all the days of our life.
Make us glad by the measure of the days
   that you afflicted us*
 and the years in which we suffered adversity.
Show your servants your works*
 and your splendour to their children.
May the graciousness of the Lord our God be upon us;*
 prosper the work of our hands;
   prosper our handiwork.

A Song of the Word of the Lord (Isaiah 55:6-11)

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
call upon him while he is near;

Let the wicked abandon their ways,
and the unrighteous their thoughts;

Return to the Lord,
who will have mercy;
to our God, who will richly pardon.

'For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways', says the Lord.

'For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

'As the rain and the snow come down from above,
and return not again but water the earth,

'Bringing forth life and giving growth,
seed for sowing and bread to eat,

'So is my word that goes forth from my mouth;
it will not return to me fruitless,

'But it will accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the task I gave it.'

Psalm 147:13-end

Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Jeremiah 30:1-9]:

The word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: Thus says
the Lord, the God of Israel: Write in a book all the
words that I have spoken to you. For the days are surely
coming, says the Lord, when I will restore the fortunes
of my people, Israel and Judah, says the Lord, and I will
bring them back to the land that I gave to their
ancestors and they shall take possession of it.
These are the words that the Lord spoke concerning Israel
and Judah:
Thus says the Lord:
We have heard a cry of panic,
   of terror, and no peace.
Ask now, and see,
   can a man bear a child?
Why then do I see every man
   with his hands on his loins like a woman in
labour?
   Why has every face turned pale?
Alas! that day is so great
   there is none like it;
it is a time of distress for Jacob;
   yet he shall be rescued from it.

On that day, says the Lord of hosts, I will break the
yoke from off his neck, and I will burst his bonds, and
strangers shall no more make a servant of him. But they
shall serve the Lord their God and David their king, whom
I will raise up for them.

For another Biblical reading,
1 Corinthians 4:1-13

HYMN
Words: William Cowper, 1772
Tune: Caithness, Stracathro, Beatitudo, Martyrdom
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o135.html

O for a closer walk with God,
a calm and heavenly frame,
a light to shine upon the road
that leads me to the Lamb!

Where is the blessedness I knew
when first I saw the Lord?
Where is the soul-refreshing view
of Jesus and his word?

Return, O holy Dove, return,
sweet messenger of rest;
I hate the sins that made thee mourn,
and drove thee from my breast.

The dearest idol I have known,
whate'er that idol be,
help me to tear it from thy throne,
and worship only thee.

So shall my walk be close with God,
calm and serene my frame;
so purer light shall mark the road
that leads me to the Lamb.

Holy Father,
you have reconciled us to yourself in Christ;
by your Spirit
you enable us to live as your children.

We pray for personal relationships
the home, and family life....
children deprived of home....
friends, relations and neighbours....
relationships in daily life and work....
those who are estranged....
ministries of care and healing...

We pray for the Church, especially the Diocese of Bujumbura,
Burundi, The Rt Revd Pie Ntukamazina, Bishop...

Holy Father, we give you thanks
for the obedience of Christ fulfilled in the cross,
his bearing of the sin of the world,
his mercy for the world, which never fails....

for the joy of human love and friendship,
the lives to which our own are bound,
the gift of peace with you and each other....

for the communities in whose life we share
and all relationships
in which reconciliation may be known....

Help us to share in Christ's ministry
and to love and serve one another in peace;
through the same Jesus Christ our Lord,
who in the unity of the Spirit
is one with you for ever. Amen.

Give ear to our prayers, O Lord,
and direct the way of your servants in safety under your protection,
that, amid all the changes of our earthly pilgrimage,
we may be guarded by your mighty aid;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Almighty and everlasting God,
the source and perfection of all virtues,
you inspired your servant James DeKoven
to do what is right and to preach what is true:
Grant that all ministers and stewards of your mysteries
may impart to your faithful people, by word and example,
the knowledge of your grace;

God of love,
turn our hearts to your ways;
and give us peace. Amen.

The closing sentence is from An Invitation to Prayer, (c) The Church of
England, 2001-2003.

James de Koven was born in Connecticut in 1831, ordained to the priesthood
in 1855, and promptly became a professor of Church history at at Nashotah
House, a seminary of the Episcopal Church in Wisconsin. In 1859 he became
Warden of Racine College, an Episcopal college in Racine, Wisconsin.
Nashotah House was from its inception dedicated to an increased emphasis on
the real presence of Christ in the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper, and on the
use of ritual practices that recognized and honored that presence. This met
opposition from other Christians who were suspicious (1) of anything that
suggested Roman Catholicism, (2) of anything that seemed fancy and
pretentious, as opposed to the plain, blunt, simplicity that was considered to be
an American virtue as well as a virtue of the New Testament Church, and (3)
of anything that varied from the practices they had become used to as
children.
In the General Conventions of 1871 and 1874, de Koven became the chief
spokesman for the "ritualists," defending the use of candles, incense, bowing
and kneeling, and the like. He reminded his hearers of the numerous assertions
by prominent Anglican theologians from the Reformation on down who had
taught, and the ecclesiastical courts which when the question came up had
ruled, that it is Anglican belief, shared not only with Romans but with
Lutherans and East Orthodox, that the presence of the Body and Blood of
Christ in the Sacrament is a real and objective presence. However, he was
eloquent and firm in saying: "The gestures and practices by which we
recognize the presence of Christ do not matter. Only Christ matters."
In 1874 he was elected Bishop of Wisconsin, and in 1875 Bishop of Illinois,
but because he was "controversial" he failed both times to have his election
ratified by a majority of Bishops and a majority of Standing Committees of
Dioceses, as required by canon law. He died at his college in Racine,
Wisconsin, on 22 March 1879. [James Kiefer]