OREMUS: 20 March 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Mar 19 23:42:08 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Monday, March 20, 2006
Cuthbert, Bishop of Lindisfarne, Missionary, 687

your steadfast love is shown to every living thing;
your word calls us forth and your law revives and refreshes.
You call us to repent our misuse of your gifts,
that we may be transformed by your wisdom
to manifest for others
the mercy of our crucified and risen Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 102

Lord, hear my prayer and let my cry come before you;*
 hide not your face from me in the day of my trouble.
Incline your ear to me;*
 when I call, make haste to answer me,
For my days drift away like smoke,*
 and my bones are hot as burning coals.
My heart is smitten like grass and withered,*
 so that I forget to eat my bread.
Because of the voice of my groaning*
 I am but skin and bones.
I have become like a vulture in the wilderness,*
 like an owl among the ruins.
I lie awake and groan;*
 I am like a sparrow, lonely on a house-top.
My enemies revile me all day long,*
 and those who scoff at me
   have taken an oath against me.
For I have eaten ashes for bread*
 and mingled my drink with weeping.
Because of your indignation and wrath*
 you have lifted me up and thrown me away.
My days pass away like a shadow,*
 and I wither like the grass.
But you, O Lord, endure for ever,*
 and your name from age to age.
You will arise and have compassion on Zion,
   for it is time to have mercy upon her;*
 indeed, the appointed time has come.
For your servants love her very rubble,*
 and are moved to pity even for her dust.
The nations shall fear your name, O Lord,*
 and all the kings of the earth your glory.
For the Lord will build up Zion,*
 and his glory will appear.
He will look with favour on the prayer of the homeless;*
 he will not despise their plea.
Let this be written for a future generation,*
 so that a people yet unborn may praise the Lord.
For the Lord looked down from his holy place on high;*
 from the heavens he beheld the earth;
That he might hear the groan of the captive*
 and set free those condemned to die;
That they may declare in Zion the name of the Lord,*
 and his praise in Jerusalem;
When the peoples are gathered together,*
 and the kingdoms also, to serve the Lord.
He has brought down my strength before my time;*
 he has shortened the number of my days;
And I said, 'O my God,
   do not take me away in the midst of my days;*
 your years endure throughout all generations.
'In the beginning, O Lord,
   you laid the foundations of the earth,*
 and the heavens are the work of your hands;
'They shall perish, but you will endure;
   they all shall wear out like a garment;*
 as clothing you will change them,
   and they shall be changed;
'But you are always the same,*
 and your years will never end.
'The children of your servants shall continue,*
 and their offspring shall stand fast in your sight.'

A Song of Humility (Hosea 6:1-6)

Come, let us return to the Lord
who has torn us and will heal us.

God has stricken us
and will bind up our wounds.

After two days, he will revive us,
and on the third day will raise us up,
that we may live in his presence.

Let us strive to know the Lord;
his appearing is as sure as the sunrise.

He will come to us like the showers,
like the spring rains that water the earth.

'O Ephraim, how shall I deal with you?
How shall I deal with you, O Judah?

'Your love for me is like the morning mist,
like the dew that goes early away.

'Therefore, I have hewn them by the prophets,
and my judgement goes forth as the light.

'For loyalty is my desire and not sacrifice,
and the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.'

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Jeremiah 29:1-14]:

These are the words of the letter that the prophet
Jeremiah sent from Jerusalem to the remaining elders
among the exiles, and to the priests, the prophets, and
all the people, whom Nebuchadnezzar had taken into exile
from Jerusalem to Babylon. This was after King Jeconiah,
and the queen mother, the court officials, the leaders of
Judah and Jerusalem, the artisans, and the smiths had
departed from Jerusalem. The letter was sent by the hand
of Elasah son of Shaphan and Gemariah son of Hilkiah,
whom King Zedekiah of Judah sent to Babylon to King
Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon. It said: Thus says the Lord of
hosts, the God of Israel, to all the exiles whom I have
sent into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon: Build houses
and live in them; plant gardens and eat what they
produce. Take wives and have sons and daughters; take
wives for your sons, and give your daughters in marriage,
that they may bear sons and daughters; multiply there,
and do not decrease. But seek the welfare of the city
where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on
its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your
welfare. For thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of
Israel: Do not let the prophets and the diviners who are
among you deceive you, and do not listen to the dreams
that they dream, for it is a lie that they are
prophesying to you in my name; I did not send them, says
the Lord.
For thus says the Lord: Only when Babylon's seventy years
are completed will I visit you, and I will fulfil to you
my promise and bring you back to this place. For surely I
know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for
your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with
hope. Then when you call upon me and come and pray to me,
I will hear you. When you search for me, you will find
me; if you seek me with all your heart, I will let you
find me, says the Lord, and I will restore your fortunes
and gather you from all the nations and all the places
where I have driven you, says the Lord, and I will bring
you back to the place from which I sent you into exile.

For another Biblical reading,
1 Corinthians 3:1-9

HYMN
Words: Carl P. Daw, Jr. (c)
Tune: Southwell
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/r/r046.html

Restore in us, O God,
the splendor of your love;
renew your image in our hearts,
and all our sins remove.

O Spirit, wake in us
the wonder of your power;
from fruitless fear unfurl our lives
like springtime bud and flower.

Bring us, O Christ, to share
the fullness of your joy;
baptize us in the risen life
that death cannot destroy.

Three-personed God, fulfill
the promise of your grace,
that we, when our searching ends,
may see you face to face.

maker of all good things and Father of all;
you have shown us in Christ the purpose of your creation
and call us to be responsible in the world.

We pray for the world
all the nations....
our own country....
those in authority....
the peace of the world....
racial harmony....
those who maintain order....

We pray for the Church, especially the Diocese of Bristol, England,
The Rt Revd Michael Arthur Hill, Bishop...

Almighty God, we give you thanks
for the order of created things
the resources of the earth
and the gift of human life....

for the continuing work of creation,
man's share in it,
and for creative vision and inventive skill....

for your faithfulness to man in patience and in love,
and for every human response of obedience
and humble achievement....

May we delight in your purpose
and work to bring all things to their true end;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Look upon the heart-felt desires
of your humble servants, Almighty God,
and stretch forth the right hand of your majesty
to be our defense against all our enemies;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Almighty God,
who called your servant Cuthbert from following the flock
to follow your Son and to be a shepherd of your people:
in your mercy, grant that we, following his example,
may bring those who are lost home to your fold;

God of love,
turn our hearts to your ways;
and give us peace. Amen.

Hymn (c) 1989 Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com

The closing sentence is from An Invitation to Prayer, (c) The Church of
England, 2001-2003.

Cuthbert was born in Northumbria in northern England about 625. One night,
while tending a herd of sheep, he saw lights in the sky which he interpreted as a
soul being escorted heavenward by a band of angels. Later, he learned that
Aidan of Lindisfarne (31 August 651) had died that night, and he resolved to
enter the monastic life. He was a monk at Melrose Abbey from 651 to 664, and
when the Abbot, Eata, became abbot and bishop at Lindisfarne, Cuthbert
accompanied him and was Prior there until 676. Although he had been brought
up in the Celtic customs, he accepted the decrees of the Synod of Whitby in
663, which committed the English Church to following instead the Roman
customs that had been introduced into Canterbury by Augustine, and so he
helped to minimize contention over the decision. Although his real preference
was for the solitary life of a hermit, he recognized a duty to minister to the
needs of the people about him. Year after year he made long journeys, on
horseback and on foot, to Durham and throughout Northumbria, and in the
regions of Berwick and Galloway, preaching to the scattered population in
remote and sparsely settled areas, instructing them in the faith and encouraging
them in the practice of it, urging them in times of sickness not to rely on
charms or amulets, but to pray to God and put their trust in His mercy and
love. Like Francis of Assisi, he had a remarkable rapport with animals, both
wild and domestic.
Theodore, the Archbishop of Canterbury, made Cuthbert Bishop of Hexham,
but he was a solitary by nature, and promptly exchanged bishoprics with Eata
so as to remain at Lindisfarne. After two years, he retired to the neighboring
island of Farne as a hermit, and died there the following year. [James Kiefer]