OREMUS: 19 March 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Mar 18 17:59:30 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, March 19, 2006
The Third Sunday in Lent

your steadfast love is shown to every living thing;
your word calls us forth and your law revives and refreshes.
You call us to repent our misuse of your gifts,
that we may be transformed by your wisdom
to manifest for others
the mercy of our crucified and risen Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 119:113-136

I hate those who have a divided heart,*
 but your law do I love.
You are my refuge and shield;*
 my hope is in your word.
Away from me, you wicked!*
 I will keep the commandments of my God.
Sustain me according to your promise, that I may live,*
 and let me not be disappointed in my hope.
Hold me up and I shall be safe,*
 and my delight shall be ever in your statutes.
You spurn all who stray from your statutes;*
 their deceitfulness is in vain.

In your sight all the wicked of the earth are but dross;*
 therefore I love your decrees.
My flesh trembles with dread of you;*
 I am afraid of your judgements.

I have done what is just and right;*
 do not deliver me to my oppressors.
Be surety for your servant's good;*
 let not the proud oppress me.
My eyes have failed from watching for your salvation*
 and for your righteous promise.
Deal with your servant
   according to your loving-kindness*
 and teach me your statutes.
I am your servant; grant me understanding,*
 that I may know your decrees.
It is time for you to act, O Lord,*
 for they have broken your law.
Truly, I love your commandments*
 more than gold and precious stones.
I hold all your commandments to be right for me;*
 all paths of falsehood I abhor.

Your decrees are wonderful;*
 therefore I obey them with all my heart.
When your word goes forth it gives light;*
 it gives understanding to the simple.
I open my mouth and pant;*
 I long for your commandments.
Turn to me in mercy,*
 as you always do to those who love your name.
Steady my footsteps in your word;*
 let no iniquity have dominion over me.
Rescue me from those who oppress me,*
 and I will keep your commandments.
Let your countenance shine upon your servant*
 and teach me your statutes.
My eyes shed streams of tears,*
 because people do not keep your law.

The Song of Christ's Glory (Philippians 2:5-11)

Christ Jesus was in the form of God,
 but he did not cling to equality with God.

He emptied himself, taking the form of a servant,
 and was born in our human likeness.

Being found in human form he humbled himself,
 and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.

Therefore God has highly exalted him,
 and bestowed on him the name above every name.

That at the name of Jesus, every knee should bow,
 in heaven and on earth and under the earth;

And every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
 to the glory of God the Father.

Psalm 117

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Jeremiah 26:1-15]:

At the beginning of the reign of King Jehoiakim son of
Josiah of Judah, this word came from the Lord: Thus says
the Lord: Stand in the court of the Lord's house, and
speak to all the cities of Judah that come to worship in
the house of the Lord; speak to them all the words that I
command you; do not hold back a word. It may be that they
will listen, all of them, and will turn from their evil
way, that I may change my mind about the disaster that I
intend to bring on them because of their evil doings. You
shall say to them: Thus says the Lord: If you will not
listen to me, to walk in my law that I have set before
you, and to heed the words of my servants the prophets
whom I send to you urgently though you have not heeded
then I will make this house like Shiloh, and I will make
this city a curse for all the nations of the earth.
The priests and the prophets and all the people heard
Jeremiah speaking these words in the house of the Lord.
And when Jeremiah had finished speaking all that the Lord
had commanded him to speak to all the people, then the
priests and the prophets and all the people laid hold of
him, saying, 'You shall die! Why have you prophesied in
the name of the Lord, saying, "This house shall be like
Shiloh, and this city shall be desolate, without
inhabitant"?' And all the people gathered around Jeremiah
in the house of the Lord.
When the officials of Judah heard these things, they came
up from the king's house to the house of the Lord and
took their seat in the entry of the New Gate of the house
of the Lord. Then the priests and the prophets said to
the officials and to all the people, 'This man deserves
the sentence of death because he has prophesied against
this city, as you have heard with your own ears.'
Then Jeremiah spoke to all the officials and all the
people, saying, 'It is the Lord who sent me to prophesy
against this house and this city all the words you have
heard. Now therefore amend your ways and your doings, and
obey the voice of the Lord your God, and the Lord will
change his mind about the disaster that he has pronounced
against you. But as for me, here I am in your hands. Do
with me as seems good and right to you. Only know for
certain that if you put me to death, you will be bringing
innocent blood upon yourselves and upon this city and its
inhabitants, for in truth the Lord sent me to you to
speak all these words in your ears.'

For another Biblical reading,
Mark 14:53-72

HYMN
Words: Scottish Paraphrases, 1781
Tune: Bishopthorpe
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b074.html

Behold! the mountain of the Lord
in latter days shall rise
on mountain tops above the hills,
and draw the wondering eyes.

To this the joyful nations round,
all tribes and tongues, shall flow;
up to the hill of God, they'll say,
and to his house we'll go.

The beam that shines from Zion hill
shall lighten every land;
the King who reigns in Salem's towers
shall all the world command.

Among the nations he shall judge;
his judgments truth shall guide;
his scepter shall protect the just,
and quell the sinner's pride.

No strife shall vex Messiah's reign
or mar the peaceful years;
to plowshares men shall beat their swords,
to pruning-hooks their spears.

No longer hosts, encountering hosts,
shall crowds of slain deplore;
they hang the trumpet in the hall,
and study war no more.

Come then, O come, from every land
to worship at his shrine;
and, walking in the light of God,
with holy beauties shine.

Lord God, into these times of uncertainty and fear,
help us to speak your word of peace boldly,
that all might hear.

Govern the hearts of the leaders
of all the nations of the world,
those elected, those self-appointed,
and those who led military coups;
the official leaders and those who work behind the scenes.
Give them discerning hearts
that they may know the difference
between serving power and serving people,
between doing what is right and what is popular.
Lead them into the ways of justice and peace.
Lord God, into these times of uncertainty and fear,
help us to speak your word of peace boldly,
that all might hear.

Forgive us when we ignore human rights abuses
because we are afraid or too weary to fight.
Forgive us when we initiate wars
that need never have been fought.
Forgive us when we give power and military might to the wrong people.
Teach us, that we may never err in these ways again.
Lord God, into these times of uncertainty and fear,
help us to speak your word of peace boldly,
that all might hear.

Bless all bishops, priests, deacons and ministers,
rabbis, imams of Islam, and all spiritual leaders.
Fill them with so much love
that they will proclaim your love and truth throughout the world.
Lord God, into these times of uncertainty and fear,
help us to speak your word of peace boldly,
that all might hear.

Keep our enemies always in your heart and ours.
Protect us from rumors, strife and hatred.
Protect us from demonizing our enemies.
Forgive us when we are misled.
Lord God, into these times of uncertainty and fear,
help us to speak your word of peace boldly,
that all might hear.

Shelter all who serve in the military,
those who serve willingly and those who serve under duress.
Protect their hearts and minds and bodies,
and bring them safely back home to those who love them.
Lord God, into these times of uncertainty and fear,
help us to speak your word of peace boldly,
that all might hear.

Look with compassion on the innocent,
the poor, the hungry, the ill, the young, the old, the helpless.
Keep them from all harm, comfort them when discouraged,
and raise up in them a spirit of joy in life.
Lord God, into these times of uncertainty and fear,
help us to speak your word of peace boldly,
that all might hear.

Almighty God,
you know that we have no power in ourselves
to help ourselves:
Keep us both outwardly in our bodies
and inwardly in our souls,
that we may be defended from all adversities
which may happen to the body,
and from all evil thoughts
which may assault and hurt the soul;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

God of love,
turn our hearts to your ways;
and give us peace. Amen.

The Litany on the Brink of War is adapted from one by Episcopal Church of
St. John the Baptist, Lodi, California, USA.

http://hometown.aol.com/worldinprayer

of The Episcopal Church_.

The closing sentence is from An Invitation to Prayer, (c) The Church of
England, 2001-2003.