OREMUS: 18 March 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Mar 17 19:02:44 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, March 18, 2006
Cyril, Bishop of Jerusalem, Teacher of the Faith, 386

you accepted the sacrifice of your Son,
who have himself up for the sake of all.
You train us by his teaching
and school us in his obedience,
that as we walk his way of sacrifice,
we may come to share in your glory.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 11

In the Lord have I taken refuge;*
 how then can you say to me,
   'Fly away like a bird to the hilltop;
'For see how the wicked bend the bow
   and fit their arrows to the string,*
 to shoot from ambush at the true of heart.
'When the foundations are being destroyed,*
 what can the righteous do?'
The Lord is in his holy temple;*
 the Lord's throne is in heaven.
His eyes behold the inhabited world;*
 his piercing eye weighs our worth.
The Lord weighs the righteous as well as the wicked,*
 but those who delight in violence he abhors.
Upon the wicked he shall rain coals of fire
   and burning sulphur;*
 a scorching wind shall be their lot.
For the Lord is righteous;
   he delights in righteous deeds;*
 and the just shall see his face.

Psalm 12

Help me, Lord, for there is no godly one left;*
 the faithful have vanished from among us.
Everyone speaks falsely with their neighbour;*
 with a smooth tongue they speak from a double heart.
O that the Lord would cut off all smooth tongues,*
 and close the lips that utter proud boasts!
Those who say, 'With our tongue will we prevail;*
 our lips are our own; who is lord over us?'
'Because the needy are oppressed,
   and the poor cry out in misery,*
 I will rise up', says the Lord,
   'and give them the help they long for.'
The words of the Lord are pure words,*
 like silver refined from ore
   and purified seven times in the fire.
O Lord, watch over us*
 and save us from this generation for ever.
The wicked prowl on every side,*
 and that which is worthless is highly prized by everyone.

A Song of Repentance (1 John 1:5-9)

This is the message we have heard from Christ
and proclaim to you:
that God is light,
in whom there is no darkness at all.

If we say that we have fellowship with God
while we walk in darkness,
we lie and do not do what is true.

But if we walk in the light
as God is in the light,
we have fellowship with one another.

And the blood of Jesus, the Son of God,
cleanses us from all our sins.

If we say that we have no sin,
we deceive ourselves
and the truth is not in us.

If we confess our sins,
the One who is faithful and just will forgive us
and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Exodus 5:1-6:1]:

Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and said, 'Thus says the
Lord, the God of Israel, "Let my people go, so that they
may celebrate a festival to me in the wilderness." ' But
Pharaoh said, 'Who is the Lord, that I should heed him
and let Israel go? I do not know the Lord, and I will not
let Israel go.' Then they said, 'The God of the Hebrews
has revealed himself to us; let us go a three days'
journey into the wilderness to sacrifice to the Lord our
God, or he will fall upon us with pestilence or sword.'
But the king of Egypt said to them, 'Moses and Aaron, why
are you taking the people away from their work? Get to
your labours!' Pharaoh continued, 'Now they are more
numerous than the people of the land  and yet you want
them to stop working!' That same day Pharaoh commanded
the taskmasters of the people, as well as their
supervisors, 'You shall no longer give the people straw
to make bricks, as before; let them go and gather straw
for themselves. But you shall require of them the same
quantity of bricks as they have made previously; do not
diminish it, for they are lazy; that is why they cry,
"Let us go and offer sacrifice to our God." Let heavier
work be laid on them; then they will labour at it and pay
no attention to deceptive words.'

So the taskmasters and the supervisors of the people went
out and said to the people, 'Thus says Pharaoh, "I will
not give you straw. Go and get straw yourselves, wherever
you can find it; but your work will not be lessened in
the least." ' So the people scattered throughout the land
of Egypt, to gather stubble for straw. The taskmasters
were urgent, saying, 'Complete your work, the same daily
assignment as when you were given straw.' And the
supervisors of the Israelites, whom Pharaoh's taskmasters
had set over them, were beaten, and were asked, 'Why did
you not finish the required quantity of bricks yesterday
and today, as you did before?'

Then the Israelite supervisors came to Pharaoh and cried,
'Why do you treat your servants like this? No straw is
given to your servants, yet they say to us, "Make
bricks!" Look how your servants are beaten! You are
unjust to your own people.' He said, 'You are lazy, lazy;
that is why you say, "Let us go and sacrifice to the
Lord." Go now, and work; for no straw shall be given you,
but you shall still deliver the same number of bricks.'
The Israelite supervisors saw that they were in trouble
when they were told, 'You shall not lessen your daily
number of bricks.' As they left Pharaoh, they came upon
Moses and Aaron who were waiting to meet them. They said
to them, 'The Lord look upon you and judge! You have
brought us into bad odour with Pharaoh and his officials,
and have put a sword in their hand to kill us.'

Then Moses turned again to the Lord and said, 'O Lord,
why have you mistreated this people? Why did you ever
send me? Since I first came to Pharaoh to speak in your
name, he has mistreated this people, and you have done
nothing at all to deliver your people.'

Then the Lord said to Moses, 'Now you shall see what I
will do to Pharaoh: Indeed, by a mighty hand he will let
them go; by a mighty hand he will drive them out of his
land.'

For another Biblical reading,
Philippians 1:3b-14

HYMN
Words: African-American spiritual
Tune: Go Down, Moses
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w305.html

When Israel was in Egypt's land,
let my people go;
oppressed so hard they could not stand,
let my people go.
Refrain:
Go down, Moses,
way down in Egypt's land;
tell old Pharaoh
to let my people go.

The Lord told Moses what to do,
let my people go;
to lead the children of Israel through,
let my people go. Refrain

They journeyed on at his command,
let my people go;
and came at length to Canaan's land,
let my people go. Refrain

Oh, let us all from bondage flee,
let my people go;
and let us all in Christ be free,
let my people go. Refrain

O Lord, answer us in the day of trouble,
Send us help from your holy place.

Show us the path of life,
For in your presence is joy.

Give justice to the orphan and oppressed
And break the power of wickedness and evil.

Look upon the hungry and sorrowful
And grant them the help for which they long.

Let the heavens rejoice and the earth be glad;
May your glory endure for ever.

Your kingship has dominion over all
And with you is our redemption.

For your Church, O Lord, we pray, especially
the Diocese of Brisbane, Australia, The Most Revd Phillip John Aspinall, Archbishop.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Grant, most merciful Lord,
to your faithful people pardon and peace,
that they may be cleansed from all their sins,
and serve you with a quiet mind;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Strengthen, O Lord,
the bishops of your Church
in their special calling
to be teachers and ministers of the Sacraments,
so that they, like your servant Cyril of Jerusalem,
may effectively instruct your people
in Christian faith and practice;
and that we, taught by them,
may enter more fully into the celebration
of the Paschal mystery;

Help us, O God, to be obedient to your call
to love all your children,
to do justice and show mercy,
and to live in peace with your whole creation;

The closing sentence is from _Book of Common Worship_,
(c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.