OREMUS: 17 March 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Mar 16 19:56:15 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, March 17, 2006
Patrick, Bishop, Missionary, Patron of Ireland, c.460

you accepted the sacrifice of your Son,
who have himself up for the sake of all.
You train us by his teaching
and school us in his obedience,
that as we walk his way of sacrifice,
we may come to share in your glory.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 51

Have mercy on me, O God,
   according to your loving-kindness;*
 in your great compassion blot out my offences.
Wash me through and through from my wickedness*
 and cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions,*
 and my sin is ever before me.
Against you only have I sinned*
 and done what is evil in your sight.
And so you are justified when you speak*
 and upright in your judgement.
Indeed, I have been wicked from my birth,*
 a sinner from my mother's womb.
For behold, you look for truth deep within me,*
 and will make me understand wisdom secretly.
Purge me from my sin and I shall be pure;*
 wash me and I shall be clean indeed.
Make me hear of joy and gladness,*
 that the body you have broken may rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins*
 and blot out all my iniquities.
Create in me a clean heart, O God,*
 and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence*
 and take not your holy Spirit from me.
Give me the joy of your saving help again*
 and sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.
I shall teach your ways to the wicked,*
 and sinners shall return to you.
Deliver me from death, O God,*
 and my tongue shall sing of your righteousness,
   O God of my salvation.
Open my lips, O Lord,*
 and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.
Had you desired it, I would have offered sacrifice,*
 but you take no delight in burnt-offerings.
The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit;*
 a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
Be favourable and gracious to Zion,*
 and rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
Then you will be pleased with the appointed sacrifices,
   with burnt-offerings and oblations;*
 then shall they offer young bullocks upon your altar.

A Song of Christ the Servant (1 Peter 2.21b-25

Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example,
that you should follow in his steps.

He committed no sin, no guile was found on his lips,
when he was reviled, he did not revile in turn.

When he suffered, he did not threaten,
but he trusted himself to God who judges justly.

Christ himself bore our sins in his body on the tree,
that we might die to sin and live to righteousness.

By his wounds, you have been healed,
for you were straying like sheep,
but have now returned
cato the shepherd and guardian of your souls.

READING [Jeremiah 15:10-21]:

Woe is me, my mother, that you ever bore me, a man of
strife and contention to the whole land! I have not lent,
nor have I borrowed, yet all of them curse me. The Lord
said: Surely I have intervened in your life for good,
surely I have imposed enemies on you in a time of trouble
and in a time of distress. Can iron and bronze break iron
from the north?

Your wealth and your treasures I will give as plunder,
without price, for all your sins, throughout all your
territory. I will make you serve your enemies in a land
that you do not know, for in my anger a fire is kindled
that shall burn for ever.
O Lord, you know;
   remember me and visit me,
   and bring down retribution for me on my
persecutors.
In your forbearance do not take me away;
   know that on your account I suffer insult.
Your words were found, and I ate them,
   and your words became to me a joy
   and the delight of my heart;
for I am called by your name,
   O Lord, God of hosts.
I did not sit in the company of merrymakers,
   nor did I rejoice;
under the weight of your hand I sat alone,
   for you had filled me with indignation.
Why is my pain unceasing,
   my wound incurable,
   refusing to be healed?
Truly, you are to me like a deceitful brook,
   like waters that fail.

Therefore, thus says the Lord:
If you turn back, I will take you back,
   and you shall stand before me.
If you utter what is precious, and not what is
worthless,
   you shall serve as my mouth.
It is they who will turn to you,
   not you who will turn to them.
And I will make you to this people
   a fortified wall of bronze;
they will fight against you,
   but they shall not prevail over you,
for I am with you
   to save you and deliver you,

says the Lord.
I will deliver you out of the hand of the wicked,
   and redeem you from the grasp of the ruthless.

For another Biblical reading,
Hebrews 13:1-8

HYMN
Words: attributed to St. Patrick (372-466);
trans. Cecil Frances Alexander (1818-1895), 1889
Tune: St. Patrick's Breastplate
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i024.html

I bind unto myself today
the strong Name of the Trinity,
by invocation of the same,
the Three in One, and One in Three.

I bind this day to me for ever,
by power of faith, Christ's Incarnation;
his baptism in Jordan river;
his death on cross for my salvation;
his bursting from the spic d tomb;
his riding up the heavenly way;
his coming at the day of doom:
I bind unto myself today.

I bind unto myself the power
of the great love of cherubim;
the sweet "Well done" in judgment hour;
the service of the seraphim;
confessors' faith, apostles' word,
the patriarchs' prayers, the prophets' scrolls;
all good deeds done unto the Lord,
and purity of virgin souls.

I bind unto myself today
the virtues of the starlit heaven
the glorious sun's life-giving ray,
the whiteness of the moon at even,
the flashing of the lightning free,
the whirling wind's tempestuous shocks,
the stable earth, the deep salt sea,
around the old eternal rocks.

I bind unto myself today
the power of God to hold and lead,
his eye to watch, his might to stay,
his ear to hearken, to my need;
the wisdom of my God to teach,
his hand to guide, his shield to ward;
the word of God to give me speech,
his heavenly host to be my guard.

Christ be with me,
Christ within me,
Christ behind me,
Christ before me,
Christ beside me,
Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort
and restore me.
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ in quiet,
Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of
all that love me,
Christ in mouth of
friend and stranger.

I bind unto myself today
the strong Name of the Trinity,
by invocation of the same,
the Three in One, and One in Three.
Of whom all nature hath creation,
eternal Father, Spirit, Word:
praise to the Lord of my salvation,
salvation is of Christ the Lord.

Send forth your strength, O God,
Establish what you have wrought in us.

Uphold all those who fall
And raise up those who are bowed down.

Open the eyes of the blind
And set the prisoners free.

Sustain the orphan and widow
And give food to those who hunger.

Grant them the joy of your help again
And sustain them with your Spirit.

O Lord, judge the peoples
And take all nations for your own.

For your Church, O Lord, we pray, especially
the Diocese of Brechin, Scotland
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Grant, O Lord,
that as your Son Jesus Christ prayed for his enemies on the cross,
so we may have grace to forgive those who wrongfully or scornfully use us,
that we ourselves may be able to receive your forgiveness;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Almighty God,
who in your providence chose your servant Patrick
to be the apostle of the Irish people:
keep alive in us the fire of the faith he kindled
and strengthen us in our pilgrimage
      towards the light of everlasting life;

Help us, O God, to be obedient to your call
to love all your children,
to do justice and show mercy,
and to live in peace with your whole creation;

The closing sentence is from _Book of Common Worship_,
(c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

Patrick was born about 390, in southwest Britain, somewhere between the
Severn and the Clyde rivers, son of a deacon and grandson of a priest. When
about sixteen years old, he was kidnapped by Irish pirates and sold into slavery
in Ireland. Until this time, he had, by his own account, cared nothing for God,
but now he turned to God for help. After six years, he either escaped or was
freed, made his way to a port 200 miles away, and there persuaded some
sailors to take him onto their ship. He returned to his family much changed,
and began to prepare for the priesthood, and to study the Bible.
Around 435, Patrick was commissioned, perhaps by bishops in Gaul and
perhaps by the Pope, to go to Ireland as a bishop and missionary. Four years
earlier another bishop, Palladius, had gone to Ireland to preach, but he was no
longer there (my sources disagree on whether he had died, or had become
discouraged and left Ireland to preach in Scotland). Patrick made his
headquarters at Armagh in the North, where he built a school, and had the
protection of the local monarch. From this base he made extensive missionary
journeys, with considerable success. To say that he single-handedly turned
Ireland from a pagan to a Christian country is an exaggeration, but is not
far from the truth.
Almost everything we know about him comes from his own writings, available
in English in the Ancient Christian Writers series. He has left us an
autobiography (called the Confession), a Letter to Coroticus in which he
denounces the slave trade and rebukes the British chieftain Coroticus for
taking part in it, and the Lorica (or "Breastplate" a poem of disputed
authorship traditionally attributed to Patrick), a work that has been called "part
prayer, part anthem, and part incantation." [James Kiefer, abridged]