OREMUS: 13 March 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Mar 12 21:25:13 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Monday, March 13, 2006

you accepted the sacrifice of your Son,
who have himself up for the sake of all.
You train us by his teaching
and school us in his obedience,
that as we walk his way of sacrifice,
we may come to share in your glory.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 65

You are to be praised, O God, in Zion;*
 to you shall vows be performed in Jerusalem.
To you that hear prayer shall all flesh come,*
 because of their transgressions.
Our sins are stronger than we are,*
 but you will blot them out.
Happy are they whom you choose
   and draw to your courts to dwell there!*
 they will be satisfied by the beauty of your house,
   by the holiness of your temple.
Awesome things will you show us in your righteousness,
   O God of our salvation,*
 O Hope of all the ends of the earth
   and of the seas that are far away.
You make fast the mountains by your power;*
 they are girded about with might.
You still the roaring of the seas,*
 the roaring of their waves,
   and the clamour of the peoples.
Those who dwell at the ends of the earth
   will tremble at your marvellous signs;*
 you make the dawn and the dusk to sing for joy.
You visit the earth and water it abundantly;
   you make it very plenteous;*
 the river of God is full of water.
You prepare the grain,*
 for so you provide for the earth.
You drench the furrows and smooth out the ridges;*
 with heavy rain you soften the ground
   and bless its increase.
You crown the year with your goodness,*
 and your paths overflow with plenty.
May the fields of the wilderness be rich for grazing,*
 and the hills be clothed with joy.
May the meadows cover themselves with flocks
   and the valleys cloak themselves with grain;*
 let them shout for joy and sing.

Psalm 110:1-5

The Lord said to my lord, 'Sit at my right hand,*
 until I make your enemies your footstool.'
The Lord will send the sceptre of your power
   out of Zion,*
 saying, 'Rule over your enemies round about you.
'Princely state has been yours
   from the day of your birth,*
 in the beauty of holiness have I begotten you,
   like dew from the womb of the morning.'
The Lord has sworn and he will not recant:*
 'You are a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.'

A Song of Humility (Hosea 6:1-6)

Come, let us return to the Lord
who has torn us and will heal us.

God has stricken us
and will bind up our wounds.

After two days, he will revive us,
and on the third day will raise us up,
that we may live in his presence.

Let us strive to know the Lord;
his appearing is as sure as the sunrise.

He will come to us like the showers,
like the spring rains that water the earth.

'O Ephraim, how shall I deal with you?
How shall I deal with you, O Judah?

'Your love for me is like the morning mist,
like the dew that goes early away.

'Therefore, I have hewn them by the prophets,
and my judgement goes forth as the light.

'For loyalty is my desire and not sacrifice,
and the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.'

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Jeremiah 12:1-16]:

You will be in the right, O Lord,
   when I lay charges against you;
   but let me put my case to you.
Why does the way of the guilty prosper?
   Why do all who are treacherous thrive?
You plant them, and they take root;
   they grow and bring forth fruit;
you are near in their mouths
   yet far from their hearts.
But you, O Lord, know me;
   You see me and test me my heart is with you.
Pull them out like sheep for the slaughter,
   and set them apart for the day of slaughter.
How long will the land mourn,
   and the grass of every field wither?
For the wickedness of those who live in it
   the animals and the birds are swept away,
   and because people said, 'He is blind to our ways.'

If you have raced with foot-runners and they have wearied
you,
   how will you compete with horses?
And if in a safe land you fall down,
   how will you fare in the thickets of the Jordan?
For even your kinsfolk and your own family,
   even they have dealt treacherously with you;
   they are in full cry after you;
do not believe them,
   though they speak friendly words to you.

I have forsaken my house,
   I have abandoned my heritage;
I have given the beloved of my heart
   into the hands of her enemies.
My heritage has become to me
   like a lion in the forest;
she has lifted up her voice against me
   therefore I hate her.
Is the hyena greedy for my heritage at my command?
   Are the birds of prey all around her?
Go, assemble all the wild animals;
   bring them to devour her.
Many shepherds have destroyed my vineyard,
   they have trampled down my portion,
they have made my pleasant portion
   a desolate wilderness.
They have made it a desolation;
   desolate, it mourns to me.
The whole land is made desolate,
   but no one lays it to heart.
Upon all the bare heights in the desert
   spoilers have come;
for the sword of the Lord devours
   from one end of the land to the other;
   no one shall be safe.
They have sown wheat and have reaped thorns,
   they have tired themselves out but profit nothing.
They shall be ashamed of their harvests
   because of the fierce anger of the Lord.

Thus says the Lord concerning all my evil neighbours who
touch the heritage that I have given my people Israel to
inherit: I am about to pluck them up from their land, and
I will pluck up the house of Judah from among them. And
after I have plucked them up, I will again have
compassion on them, and I will bring them again to their
heritage and to their land, every one of them. And then,
if they will diligently learn the ways of my people, to
swear by my name, 'As the Lord lives', as they taught my
people to swear by Baal, then they shall be built up in
the midst of my people.

For another Biblical reading,
Hebrews 11:23-40

HYMN
Words: Dieter Trautwein (1928-); translated by Fred Kaan (1929-) (c)
Tune: Resignation
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t698.html

Bless, and keep us, God, in your love united,
from your family never separated.
You make all things new as we follow after;
whether tears or laughter, we belong to you.

Blessing shrivels up when your children hoard it;
move us then to share, for we can afford it:
blessing only grows in the act of sharing,
in a life of caring; love that heals and grows.

Fill your world with peace, such as you intended.
Teach us to prize the earth, love, replenish, tend it.
God, uplift, fulfill all who sow in sadness,
let them reap with gladness, by your kingdom thrilled.

You renew our life, changing tears to laughter;
we belong to you, so we follow after.
Bless and keep us, God, in your love united,
never separated from your living Word.

Save your people, Lord, and bless your inheritance,
Govern and uphold them now and always.

Day by day, we bless you;
We praise your name for ever.

Keep us today, Lord, from all sin;
Have mercy on us, Lord, have mercy.

We long for your salvation, O Lord:
grant us understanding, that we may live.

Lord, show us your love and mercy,
For we put our trust in you.

In you, Lord, is our hope:
Let us not be confounded at the last

For your Church, O Lord, we pray, especially
the Diocese of  Botswana, The Rt Revd Trevor Mwamba, Bishop.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Let your Spirit, O Lord, come into the midst of us
to wash us with the pure water of repentance,
and prepare us to be always a living sacrifice to you;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Help us, O God, to be obedient to your call
to love all your children,
to do justice and show mercy,
and to live in peace with your whole creation;

Hymn (c) 1985 by Stainer & Bell Ltd. (admin. by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188).
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

The closing sentence is from _Book of Common Worship_,
(c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.