OREMUS: 12 March 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Mar 11 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, March 12, 2006
The Second Sunday in Lent

you accepted the sacrifice of your Son,
who have himself up for the sake of all.
You train us by his teaching
and school us in his obedience,
that as we walk his way of sacrifice,
we may come to share in your glory.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 119:89-112

O Lord, your word is everlasting;*
 it stands firm in the heavens.
Your faithfulness remains
   from one generation to another;*
 you established the earth and it abides.
By your decree these continue to this day,*
 for all things are your servants.
If my delight had not been in your law,*
 I should have perished in my affliction.
I will never forget your commandments,*
 because by them you give me life.
I am yours; O that you would save me!*
 for I study your commandments.
Though the wicked lie in wait for me to destroy me,*
 I will apply my mind to your decrees.
I see that all things come to an end,*
 but your commandment has no bounds.

O how I love your law!*
 all the day long it is in my mind.
Your commandment has made me wiser
   than my enemies,*
 and it is always with me.
I have more understanding than all my teachers,*
 for your decrees are my study.
I am wiser than the elders,*
 because I observe your commandments.
I restrain my feet from every evil way,*
 that I may keep your word.
I do not shrink from your judgements,*
 because you yourself have taught me.
How sweet are your words to my taste!*
 they are sweeter than honey to my mouth.
Through your commandments I gain understanding;*
 therefore I hate every lying way.

Your word is a lantern to my feet*
 and a light upon my path.
I have sworn and am determined*
 to keep your righteous judgements.
I am deeply troubled;*
 preserve my life, O Lord, according to your word.
Accept, O Lord, the willing tribute of my lips,*
 and teach me your judgements.
My life is always in my hand,*
 yet I do not forget your law.
The wicked have set a trap for me,*
 but I have not strayed from your commandments.
Your decrees are my inheritance for ever;*
 truly, they are the joy of my heart.
I have applied my heart to fulfil your statutes*
 for ever and to the end.

The Song of Christ's Glory (Philippians 2:5-11)

Christ Jesus was in the form of God,
 but he did not cling to equality with God.

He emptied himself, taking the form of a servant,
 and was born in our human likeness.

Being found in human form he humbled himself,
 and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.

Therefore God has highly exalted him,
 and bestowed on him the name above every name.

That at the name of Jesus, every knee should bow,
 in heaven and on earth and under the earth;

And every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
 to the glory of God the Father.

Psalm 117

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Jeremiah 11:9-20]:

And the Lord said to me: Conspiracy exists among the
people of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem. They
have turned back to the iniquities of their ancestors of
old, who refused to heed my words; they have gone after
other gods to serve them; the house of Israel and the
house of Judah have broken the covenant that I made with
their ancestors. Therefore, thus says the Lord, assuredly
I am going to bring disaster upon them that they cannot
escape; though they cry out to me, I will not listen to
them. Then the cities of Judah and the inhabitants of
Jerusalem will go and cry out to the gods to whom they
make offerings, but they will never save them in the time
of their trouble. For your gods have become as many as
your towns, O Judah; and as many as the streets of
Jerusalem are the altars to shame that you have set up,
altars to make offerings to Baal.

As for you, do not pray for this people, or lift up a cry
or prayer on their behalf, for I will not listen when
they call to me in the time of their trouble. What right
has my beloved in my house, when she has done vile deeds?
Can vows and sacrificial flesh avert your doom? Can you
then exult? The Lord once called you, 'A green olive
tree, fair with goodly fruit'; but with the roar of a
great tempest he will set fire to it, and its branches
will be consumed. The Lord of hosts, who planted you, has
pronounced evil against you, because of the evil that the
house of Israel and the house of Judah have done,
provoking me to anger by making offerings to Baal.
It was the Lord who made it known to me, and I knew;
   then you showed me their evil deeds.
But I was like a gentle lamb
   led to the slaughter.
And I did not know it was against me
   that they devised schemes, saying,
'Let us destroy the tree with its fruit,
   let us cut him off from the land of the living,
   so that his name will no longer be remembered!'
But you, O Lord of hosts, who judge righteously,
   who try the heart and the mind,
let me see your retribution upon them,
   for to you I have committed my cause.

For another Biblical reading,
Mark 14:27-52

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley, 1742
Tune: Stockton, Song 67
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o137.html

O for a heart to praise my God,
a heart from sin set free,
a heart that always feels thy blood
so freely shed for me.

A heart resigned, submissive, meek,
my great Redeemer's throne,
where only Christ is heard to speak,
where Jesus reigns alone.

A humble, lowly, contrite, heart,
believing, true and clean,
which neither life nor death can part
from him that dwells within.

A heart in every thought renewed
and full of love divine,
perfect and right and pure and good,
a copy, Lord, of thine.

My heart, thou know'st, can never rest
till thou create my peace;
till of mine Eden repossessed,
from self, and sin, I cease.

Thy nature, gracious Lord, impart;
come quickly from above;
write thy new name upon my heart,
thy new, best name of Love.

As we prepare for the paschal feast,
let us offer intercessions to God
who gave up his Son for us.

For this holy gathering,
for all Christians enduring persecution
and tested by suffering,
and for all the holy people of God.
Lord of mercy, hear us.

For catechumens and their sponsors.
Lord of mercy, hear us.

For the descendants of Abraham and Sarah,
for all who share God's covenant,
and for all the peoples of the earth.
Lord of mercy, hear us.

For all who are oppressed, afflicted, or in despair.
Lord of mercy, hear us.

For the dying and the dead,
and for those who mourn.
Lord of mercy, hear us.

For our deliverance from all affliction, strife, and need.
Lord of mercy, hear us.

God of mercy,
you are full of tenderness and compassion,
slow to anger, rich in mercy,
and always ready to forgive.
Grant us grace to renounce all evil
and to cling to Christ,
that in every way we may prove to be your loving children;
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Help us, O God, to be obedient to your call
to love all your children,
to do justice and show mercy,
and to live in peace with your whole creation;

The intercession is by Ormonde Plater and the response is by Stephen Benner.

The closing sentence is from _Book of Common Worship_,
(c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.