OREMUS: 11 March 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Mar 10 23:19:13 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, March 11, 2006

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 135

Praise the name of the Lord;*
 give praise, you servants of the Lord,
You who stand in the house of the Lord,*
 in the courts of the house of our God.
Praise the Lord, for the Lord is good;*
 sing praises to his name, for it is lovely.
For the Lord has chosen Jacob for himself*
 and Israel for his own possession.
For I know that the Lord is great,*
 and that our Lord is above all gods.
The Lord does whatever pleases him,
   in heaven and on earth,*
 in the seas and all the deeps.
He brings up rain clouds from the ends of the earth;*
 he sends out lightning with the rain,
   and brings the winds out of his storehouse.
It was he who struck down the first-born of Egypt,*
 the first-born both of human and beast.
He sent signs and wonders
   into the midst of you, O Egypt,*
 against Pharaoh and all his servants.
He overthrew many nations*
 and put mighty kings to death:
Sihon, king of the Amorites,
   and Og, the king of Bashan,*
 and all the kingdoms of Canaan.
He gave their land to be an inheritance,*
 an inheritance for Israel his people.
O Lord, your name is everlasting;*
 your renown, O Lord, endures from age to age.
For the Lord gives his people justice*
 and shows compassion to his servants.
The idols of the heathen are silver and gold,*
 the work of human hands.
They have mouths, but they cannot speak;*
 eyes have they, but they cannot see.
They have ears, but they cannot hear;*
 neither is there any breath in their mouth.
Those who make them are like them,*
 and so are all who put their trust in them.
Bless the Lord, O house of Israel;*
 O house of Aaron, bless the Lord.
Bless the Lord, O house of Levi;*
 you who fear the Lord, bless the Lord.
Blessed be the Lord out of Zion,*
 who dwells in Jerusalem.

A Song of Repentance (1 John 1:5-9)

This is the message we have heard from Christ
and proclaim to you:
that God is light,
in whom there is no darkness at all.

If we say that we have fellowship with God
while we walk in darkness,
we lie and do not do what is true.

But if we walk in the light
as God is in the light,
we have fellowship with one another.

And the blood of Jesus, the Son of God,
cleanses us from all our sins.

If we say that we have no sin,
we deceive ourselves
and the truth is not in us.

If we confess our sins,
the One who is faithful and just will forgive us
and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Hebrews 11:1-3,8-16]:

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the
conviction of things not seen. Indeed, by faith our
ancestors received approval. By faith we understand that
the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what
is seen was made from things that are not visible.
By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to set out for
a place that he was to receive as an inheritance; and he
set out, not knowing where he was going. By faith he
stayed for a time in the land he had been promised, as in
a foreign land, living in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob,
who were heirs with him of the same promise. For he
looked forward to the city that has foundations, whose
architect and builder is God. By faith he received power
of procreation, even though he was too old and Sarah
herself was barren because he considered him faithful who
had promised. Therefore from one person, and this one as
good as dead, descendants were born, 'as many as the
stars of heaven and as the innumerable grains of sand by
the seashore.'
All of these died in faith without having received the
promises, but from a distance they saw and greeted them.
They confessed that they were strangers and foreigners on
the earth, for people who speak in this way make it clear
that they are seeking a homeland. If they had been
thinking of the land that they had left behind, they
would have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they
desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one.
Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God;
indeed, he has prepared a city for them.

For another Biblical reading,
Genesis 12:1-9

HYMN
Words: Erik Routley (c)
Tune: Birabus, Charlestown, Dominion-Chalmers, Marching, Omni die
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a185.html

All who love and serve your city,
all who bear its daily stress,
all who cry for peace and justice,
all who curse and all who bless,

In your day of loss and sorrow,
in your day of helpless strife,
honor, peace, and love retreating,
seek the Lord, who is your life.

In your day of wrath and plenty,
wasted work and wasted play,
call to mind the word of Jesus,
"I must work while it is day."

For all days are days of judgment,
and the Lord is waiting still,
drawing near a world that spurns him,
offering peace from Calvary's hill.

Risen Lord! shall yet the city
be the city of despair?
Come today, our Judge, our Glory;
be its name, "The Lord is there!"

Great and wonderful God, we praise and thank you for the
gift of renewal in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you
for
     opportunities for rest and recreation...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the regenerating gifts of the Holy Spirit...
     activities shared by young and old...
     fun and laughter...
     every service that proclaims your love...

You make all things new, O God, and we offer our prayers
for the renewal of the whole world and the healing of its
wounds. Especially we pray for
     those who have no leisure...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     people enslaved by addictions...
     those who entertain and enlighten...
     those confronted with temptation...
     the church in North America...
     the Diocese of  Bor, The Sudan, The Rt Revd Nathaniel Garang Angieth, Bishop...

O God, by your Word
you marvelously carry out the work of reconciliation:
Grant that in our Lenten fast we may be devoted to you with all our hearts,
and united with one another in prayer and holy love;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

May God give us
his comfort and his peace,
his light and his joy,
in this world and the next. Amen.

Hymn Erik Routley (c) 1969 by Stainer & Bell Ltd.
(admin. by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188).
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_,
(c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The first collect is from _The Proper for the Lesser Feasts and