OREMUS: 10 March 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Mar 9 17:00:02 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, March 10, 2006
Robert Machray, First Primate of Canada, 1904

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 51

Have mercy on me, O God,
   according to your loving-kindness;*
 in your great compassion blot out my offences.
Wash me through and through from my wickedness*
 and cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions,*
 and my sin is ever before me.
Against you only have I sinned*
 and done what is evil in your sight.
And so you are justified when you speak*
 and upright in your judgement.
Indeed, I have been wicked from my birth,*
 a sinner from my mother's womb.
For behold, you look for truth deep within me,*
 and will make me understand wisdom secretly.
Purge me from my sin and I shall be pure;*
 wash me and I shall be clean indeed.
Make me hear of joy and gladness,*
 that the body you have broken may rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins*
 and blot out all my iniquities.
Create in me a clean heart, O God,*
 and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence*
 and take not your holy Spirit from me.
Give me the joy of your saving help again*
 and sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.
I shall teach your ways to the wicked,*
 and sinners shall return to you.
Deliver me from death, O God,*
 and my tongue shall sing of your righteousness,
   O God of my salvation.
Open my lips, O Lord,*
 and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.
Had you desired it, I would have offered sacrifice,*
 but you take no delight in burnt-offerings.
The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit;*
 a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
Be favourable and gracious to Zion,*
 and rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
Then you will be pleased with the appointed sacrifices,
   with burnt-offerings and oblations;*
 then shall they offer young bullocks upon your altar.

A Song of Christ the Servant (1 Peter 2.21b-25

Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example,
that you should follow in his steps.

He committed no sin, no guile was found on his lips,
when he was reviled, he did not revile in turn.

When he suffered, he did not threaten,
but he trusted himself to God who judges justly.

Christ himself bore our sins in his body on the tree,
that we might die to sin and live to righteousness.

By his wounds, you have been healed,
for you were straying like sheep,
but have now returned
cato the shepherd and guardian of your souls.

READING [Romans 3:21-31]:

But now, irrespective of law, the righteousness of God
has been disclosed, and is attested by the law and the
prophets, the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus
Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction,
since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God;
they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through
the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put
forward as a sacrifice of atonement by his blood,
effective through faith. He did this to show his
righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had
passed over the sins previously committed; it was to
prove at the present time that he himself is righteous
and that he justifies the one who has faith in Jesus.
Then what becomes of boasting? It is excluded. By what
law? By that of works? No, but by the law of faith. For
we hold that a person is justified by faith apart from
works prescribed by the law. Or is God the God of Jews
only? Is he not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of
Gentiles also, since God is one; and he will justify the
circumcised on the ground of faith and the uncircumcised
through that same faith. Do we then overthrow the law by
this faith? By no means! On the contrary, we uphold the
law.

For another Biblical reading,
Ecclesiastes 7:23-29

HYMN
Words: Ray Palmer, 1830
Tune: Olivet
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/m/m102.html

My faith looks up to thee,
thou Lamb of Calvary,
Savior divine!
Now hear me while I pray,
take all my guilt away;
O let me from this day
be wholly thine.

May thy rich grace impart
strength to my fainting heart,
my zeal inspire;
as thou hast died for me,
O may my love to thee
pure, warm and changeless be,
a living fire.

While life's dark maze I tread,
and griefs around me spread,
be thou my guide;
bid darkness turn to day;
wipe sorrow's tears away,
nor let me ever stray
from thee aside.

When ends life's transient dream,
when death's cold sullen stream
shall o'er me roll;
blest Savior, then in love
fear and distrust remove;
O bear me safe above,
a ransomed soul.

Eternal God, we praise you for your mighty love given in
Christ's sacrifice on the cross, and the new life we have
received by his resurrection. Especially we thank you for
     the presence of Christ in our weakness and suffering...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the ministry of Word and Sacrament...
     all who work to help and heal...
     sacrifices made to our benefit...
     opportunities for our generous giving...

God of grace, let our concern for others reflect Christ's
self-giving love, not only in our prayers, but also in
our practice. Especially we pray for
     those subjected to tyranny and oppression...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     wounded and injured people...
     those who face death...
     those who may be our enemies...
     the church in Latin America...
    the Diocese of Bondo, Kenya, The Rt Revd Johannes Otieno Angela, Bishop...

Lord Christ, our eternal Redeemer,
grant us such fellowship in your sufferings,
that, filled with your Holy Spirit,
we may subdue the flesh to the spirit, and the spirit to you,
and at the last attain to the glory of your resurrection;
who live and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Almighty God,
you instructed the heart of Robert Machray
to guide the Church in Canada
in the counsels of peace and unity.
Preserve us in wisdom
and lead us in truth,
that we may build upon the one foundation,
which is Jesus Christ our Lord,
who is alive and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit

May God give us
his comfort and his peace,
his light and his joy,
in this world and the next. Amen.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_,
(c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The first collect is from _The Proper for the Lesser Feasts and

The second collect is adapted from _For All the Saints_, (c)
General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, 1994.

A biography of Robert Machray can be found at:

http://justus.anglican.org/resources/pc/bios/rmachray.html