OREMUS: 9 March 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Mar 8 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, March 9, 2006
Geoffrey Studdert Kennedy, Priest, Poet, 1929

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 35

Fight those who fight me, O Lord;*
 attack those who are attacking me.
Take up shield and armour*
 and rise up to help me.
Draw the sword and bar the way
   against those who pursue me;*
 say to my soul, 'I am your salvation.'
Let those who seek after my life be shamed and humbled;*
 let those who plot my ruin fall back and be dismayed.
Then I will be joyful in the Lord;*
 I will glory in his victory.
My very bones will say, 'Lord, who is like you?*
 You deliver the poor
   from those who are too strong for them,
   the poor and needy from those who rob them.'
Malicious witnesses rise up against me;*
 they charge me with matters I know nothing about.
They pay me evil in exchange for good;*
 my soul is full of despair.
But when they were sick I dressed in sack-cloth*
 and humbled myself by fasting;
I prayed with my whole heart,
   as one would for a friend or a brother;*
 I behaved like one who mourns for his mother,
   bowed down and grieving.
But when I stumbled,
   they were glad and gathered together;
   they gathered against me;*
 strangers whom I did not know
   tore me to pieces and would not stop.
They put me to the test and mocked me;*
 they gnashed at me with their teeth.
O Lord, how long will you look on?*
 rescue me from the roaring beasts,
   and my life from the young lions.
I will give you thanks in the great congregation;*
 I will praise you in the mighty throng.
Do not let my treacherous foes rejoice over me,*
 nor let those who hate me without a cause
   wink at each other.
For they do not plan for peace,*
 but invent deceitful schemes
   against the quiet in the land.
They opened their mouths at me and said,*
 'Aha! we saw it with our own eyes.'
You saw it, O Lord; do not be silent;*
 O Lord, be not far from me.
Awake, arise, to my cause!*
 to my defence, my God and my Lord!
Give me justice, O Lord my God,
   according to your righteousness;*
 do not let them triumph over me.
Do not let them say in their hearts,
   'Aha! just what we want!'*
 Do not let them say, 'We have swallowed him up.'
Let all who rejoice at my ruin be ashamed and disgraced;*
 let those who boast against me
   be clothed with dismay and shame.
Let those who favour my cause
   sing out with joy and be glad;*
 let them say always, 'Great is the Lord,
   who desires the prosperity of his servant.'
And my tongue shall be talking of your righteousness*
 and of your praise all the day long.

A Song of Jonah (Jonah 2:2-7,9)

I called to you, O God, out of my distress
and you answered me;
out of the belly of Sheol I cried,
and you heard my voice.

You cast me into the deep,
into the heart of the seas,
and the flood surrounded me,
all your waves and billows passed over me.

Then I said, I am driven away from your sight;
how shall I ever look again upon your holy temple?

The waters closed in over me,
the deep was round about me;
weeds were wrapped around my head
at the roots of the mountains.

I went down to the land whose bars closed upon me for ever,
yet you brought up my life from the depths, O God.

As my life was ebbing away, I remembered you, O God,
and my prayer came to you, into your holy temple.

With the voice of thanksgiving, I will sacrifice to you;
what I have vowed I will pay,
deliverance belongs to the Lord!

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Romans 3:21-31]:

But now, irrespective of law, the righteousness of God
has been disclosed, and is attested by the law and the
prophets, the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus
Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction,
since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God;
they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through
the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put
forward as a sacrifice of atonement by his blood,
effective through faith. He did this to show his
righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had
passed over the sins previously committed; it was to
prove at the present time that he himself is righteous
and that he justifies the one who has faith in Jesus.
Then what becomes of boasting? It is excluded. By what
law? By that of works? No, but by the law of faith. For
we hold that a person is justified by faith apart from
works prescribed by the law. Or is God the God of Jews
only? Is he not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of
Gentiles also, since God is one; and he will justify the
circumcised on the ground of faith and the uncircumcised
through that same faith. Do we then overthrow the law by
this faith? By no means! On the contrary, we uphold the
law.

For another Biblical reading,
Ecclesiastes 7:15-22

HYMN
Words: Geoffrey Anketel Studdert-Kennedy
Tune: Morning Song
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/n/n057.html

Not here for high and holy things
we render thanks to thee,
but for the common things of earth,
the purple pageantry
of dawning and of dying days,
the splendor of the sea,

the royal robes of autumn moors,
the golden gates of spring,
the velvet of soft summer nights,
the silver glistering
of all the million million stars,
the silent song they sing,

of faith and hope and love undimmed,
undying still through death,
the resurrection of the world,
what time there comes the breath
of dawn that rustles through the trees,
and that clear voice that saith:

Awake, awake to love and work!
The lark is in the sky,
the fields are wet with diamond dew,
the worlds awake to cry
their blessings on the Lord of life,
as he goes meekly by.

Come, let thy voice be one with theirs,
shout with their shout of praise;
see how the giant sun soars up,
great lord of years and days!
So let the love of Jesus come
and set thy soul ablaze,

to give and give, and give again,
what God hath given thee;
to spend thyself nor count the cost;
to serve right gloriously
the God who gave all worlds that are,
and all that are to be.

Loving God, as the rising sun chases away the night, so
you have scattered the power of death in the rising of
Jesus Christ, and you bring us all blessings in him.
Especially we thank you for
     the community of faith in our church...
                (We thank you, Lord.)
     those with whom we work or share common concerns...
     the diversity of your children...
     indications of your love at work in the world...
     those who work for reconciliation...

Mighty God, with the dawn of your love you reveal your
victory over all that would destroy or harm, and you
brighten the lives of all who need you. Especially we pray
for
     families suffering separation...
                (Lord, hear our prayer)
     people different from ourselves...
     those isolated by sickness or sorrow...
     the victims of violence or warfare...
     the church in the Pacific region...
     the Diocese of Bolivia, The Rt Revd Frank Lyons, Bishop...

Strengthen us, O Lord, by your grace,
that in your might we may overcome all spiritual enemies,
and with pure hearts serve you;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

God, shepherd of your people,
whose servant Geoffrey revealed the loving service of Christ
in his ministry as a pastor of your people:
awaken within us the love of Christ
and keep us faithful to our Christian calling;
through him who laid down his life for us,
but is alive and reigns with you, now and for ever. Amen.

May God give us
his comfort and his peace,
his light and his joy,
in this world and the next. Amen.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_,
(c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The first collect is from _The Proper for the Lesser Feasts and

Born in 1883, Studdert Kennedy was a young vicar in Worcester who became
an army chaplain during the First World War. His warm personality soon
earned the respect of soldiers, who nicknamed him 'Woodbine Willie' after the
brand of cigarettes he shared with them. After the First World War, he became
a writer and regular preacher, drawing large crowds, who were attracted by his
combination of traditional sacramental theology with more unconventional
theological views. He worked tirelessly for the Christian Industrial Fellowship,
but his frail health gave way and he died (still a young man) on this day in
1929. [Exciting Holiness]