OREMUS: 5 March 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Mar 4 17:12:33 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, March 5, 2006
The First Sunday in Lent

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 26

Give judgement for me, O Lord,
   for I have lived with integrity;*
 I have trusted in the Lord and have not faltered.
Test me, O Lord, and try me;*
 examine my heart and my mind.
For your love is before my eyes;*
 I have walked faithfully with you.
I have not sat with the worthless,*
 nor do I consort with the deceitful.
I have hated the company of evildoers;*
 I will not sit down with the wicked.
I will wash my hands in innocence, O Lord,*
 that I may go in procession round your altar,
Singing aloud a song of thanksgiving*
 and recounting all your wonderful deeds.
Lord, I love the house in which you dwell*
 and the place where your glory abides.
Do not sweep me away with sinners,*
 nor my life with those who thirst for blood,
Whose hands are full of evil plots,*
 and their right hand full of bribes.
As for me, I will live with integrity;*
 redeem me, O Lord, and have pity on me.
My foot stands on level ground;*
 in the full assembly I will bless the Lord.

Psalm 84

How dear to me is your dwelling, O Lord of hosts!*
 My soul has a desire and longing
   for the courts of the Lord;
   my heart and my flesh rejoice in the living God.
The sparrow has found her a house
   and the swallow a nest
   where she may lay her young;*
 by the side of your altars, O Lord of hosts,
   my King and my God.
Happy are they who dwell in your house!*
 they will always be praising you.
Happy are the people whose strength is in you!*
 whose hearts are set on the pilgrims' way.
Those who go through the desolate valley
   will find it a place of springs,*
 for the early rains have covered it with pools of water.
They will climb from height to height,*
 and the God of gods will reveal himself in Zion.
Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer;*
 hearken, O God of Jacob.
Behold our defender, O God;*
 and look upon the face of your anointed.
For one day in your courts
   is better than a thousand in my own room,*
 and to stand at the threshold of the house of my God
   than to dwell in the tents of the wicked.
For the Lord God is both sun and shield;*
 he will give grace and glory;
No good thing will the Lord withhold*
 from those who walk with integrity.
O Lord of hosts,*
 happy are they who put their trust in you!

The Song of Christ's Glory (Philippians 2:5-11)

Christ Jesus was in the form of God,
 but he did not cling to equality with God.

He emptied himself, taking the form of a servant,
 and was born in our human likeness.

Being found in human form he humbled himself,
 and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.

Therefore God has highly exalted him,
 and bestowed on him the name above every name.

That at the name of Jesus, every knee should bow,
 in heaven and on earth and under the earth;

And every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
 to the glory of God the Father.

Psalm 117

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Jeremiah 2:1-13]:

The word of the Lord came to me, saying: Go and proclaim
in the hearing of Jerusalem, Thus says the Lord:
I remember the devotion of your youth,
   your love as a bride,
how you followed me in the wilderness,
   in a land not sown.
Israel was holy to the Lord,
   the first fruits of his harvest.
All who ate of it were held guilty;
   disaster came upon them,
says the Lord.

Hear the word of the Lord, O house of Jacob, and all the
families of the house of Israel. Thus says the Lord:
What wrong did your ancestors find in me
   that they went far from me,
and went after worthless things, and became worthless
themselves?
They did not say, 'Where is the Lord
   who brought us up from the land of Egypt,
who led us in the wilderness,
   in a land of deserts and pits,
in a land of drought and deep darkness,
   in a land that no one passes through,
   where no one lives?'
I brought you into a plentiful land
   to eat its fruits and its good things.
But when you entered you defiled my land,
   and made my heritage an abomination.
The priests did not say, 'Where is the Lord?'
   Those who handle the law did not know me;
the rulers transgressed against me;
   the prophets prophesied by Baal,
   and went after things that do not profit.

Therefore once more I accuse you,

says the Lord,
   and I accuse your children's children.
Cross to the coasts of Cyprus and look,
   send to Kedar and examine with care;
   see if there has ever been such a thing.
Has a nation changed its gods,
   even though they are no gods?
But my people have changed their glory
   for something that does not profit.
Be appalled, O heavens, at this,
   be shocked, be utterly desolate,

says the Lord,
for my people have committed two evils:
   they have forsaken me,
the fountain of living water,
   and dug out cisterns for themselves,
cracked cisterns
   that can hold no water.

For another Biblical reading,
Mark 14:1-25

HYMN
Words: stanzas 1-2: Moravian, 1832;
stanzas 3-4: James Montgomery, 1825
Tune: St. Agnes
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s110.html

 Shepherd of souls, refresh and bless
thy chosen pilgrim flock
with manna in the wilderness,
with water from the rock.

We would not live by bread alone,
but by thy word of grace,
in strength of which we travel on
to our abiding place.

Be known to us in breaking bread,
and do not then depart;
Savior, abide with us, and spread
thy table in our heart.

Lord, sup with us in love divine,
thy Body and thy Blood,
that living bread, that heavenly wine,
be our immortal food.

Lord, we pray for this modern world
in which faith comes hard,
where people find it difficult to raise their eyes
above the material things that are so necessary to life.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who find it hard to believe
because they have too many things,
and for those who find it hard
because they don't have enough.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who have more to eat than they need,
and those who are dying from lack of food.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for parents who, because of their poverty
and a lack of concern on the part of others,
must watch their children die.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who suffer from disease,
from confusion and guilt, from depression and fear.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who face each day with dread
because their lives are so dominated by the power of others.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are so lonely
that life is robbed of all loveliness and hope.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Lord, we pray because our love for you is a love for one
whose compassion embraces all human suffering.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

God of compassion,
you are slow to anger, and full of mercy,
welcoming sinners who return to you with penitent hearts.
Receive in your loving embrace all who come home to you.
Seat them at your bountiful table of grace,
that, with all your children, they may feast with delight
on all that satisfies the hungry heart.
We ask this through Jesus Christ our Savior,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

May God give us
his comfort and his peace,
his light and his joy,
in this world and the next. Amen.

The intercession is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice Press,
1997. Reproduced with permission.

Westminster / John Knox Press.