OREMUS: 4 March 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Mar 3 20:43:19 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, March 4, 2006

Blessed are you, God of compassion and mercy,
to you be praise and glory for ever.
In the darkness of our sin,
your light breaks forth like the dawn
and your healing springs up for deliverance.
As we rejoice in the gift of your saving help,
sustain us with your bountiful Spirit
and open our lips to sing your praise:

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 119:65-88

O Lord, you have dealt graciously with your servant,*
 according to your word.
Teach me discernment and knowledge,*
 for I have believed in your commandments.
Before I was afflicted I went astray,*
 but now I keep your word.
You are good and you bring forth good;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
The proud have smeared me with lies,*
 but I will keep your commandments
   with my whole heart.
Their heart is gross and fat,*
 but my delight is in your law.
It is good for me that I have been afflicted,*
 that I might learn your statutes.
The law of your mouth is dearer to me*
 than thousands in gold and silver.

Your hands have made me and fashioned me;*
 give me understanding,
   that I may learn your commandments.
Those who fear you will be glad when they see me,*
 because I trust in your word.

I know, O Lord, that your judgements are right*
 and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.
Let your loving-kindness be my comfort*
 as you have promised to your servant.
Let your compassion come to me, that I may live,*
 for your law is my delight.
Let the arrogant be put to shame,
   for they wrong me with lies;*
 but I will meditate on your commandments.
Let those who fear you turn to me,*
 and also those who know your decrees.
Let my heart be sound in your statutes,*
 that I may not be put to shame.

My soul has longed for your salvation;*
 I have put my hope in your word.
My eyes have failed from watching for your promise,*
 and I say, 'When will you comfort me?'
I have become like a leather flask in the smoke,*
 but I have not forgotten your statutes.
How much longer must I wait?*
 when will you give judgement
   against those who persecute me?
The proud have dug pits for me;*
 they do not keep your law.
All your commandments are true;*
 help me, for they persecute me with lies.
They had almost made an end of me on earth,*
 but I have not forsaken your commandments.
In your loving-kindness, revive me,*
 that I may keep the decrees of your mouth.

A Song of Repentance (1 John 1:5-9)

This is the message we have heard from Christ
and proclaim to you:
that God is light,
in whom there is no darkness at all.

If we say that we have fellowship with God
while we walk in darkness,
we lie and do not do what is true.

But if we walk in the light
as God is in the light,
we have fellowship with one another.

And the blood of Jesus, the Son of God,
cleanses us from all our sins.

If we say that we have no sin,
we deceive ourselves
and the truth is not in us.

If we confess our sins,
the One who is faithful and just will forgive us
and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Daniel 12]:

'At that time Michael, the great prince, the protector of
your people, shall arise. There shall be a time of
anguish, such as has never occurred since nations first
came into existence. But at that time your people shall
be delivered, everyone who is found written in the book.
Many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall
awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and
everlasting contempt. Those who are wise shall shine like
the brightness of the sky, and those who lead many to
righteousness, like the stars for ever and ever. But you,
Daniel, keep the words secret and the book sealed until
the time of the end. Many shall be running back and
forth, and evil shall increase.'
Then I, Daniel, looked, and two others appeared, one
standing on this bank of the stream and one on the other.
One of them said to the man clothed in linen, who was
upstream, 'How long shall it be until the end of these
wonders?' The man clothed in linen, who was upstream,
raised his right hand and his left hand towards heaven.
And I heard him swear by the one who lives for ever that
it would be for a time, two times, and half a time, and
that when the shattering of the power of the holy people
comes to an end, all these things would be accomplished.
I heard but could not understand; so I said, 'My lord,
what shall be the outcome of these things?' He said, 'Go
your way, Daniel, for the words are to remain secret and
sealed until the time of the end. Many shall be purified,
cleansed, and refined, but the wicked shall continue to
act wickedly. None of the wicked shall understand, but
those who are wise shall understand. From the time that
the regular burnt-offering is taken away and the
abomination that desolates is set up, there shall be one
thousand two hundred and ninety days. Happy are those who
persevere and attain the thousand three hundred and
thirty-five days. But you, go your way, and rest; you
shall rise for your reward at the end of the days.'

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 14:31-35

HYMN
Words: J.R. Peacey (1896-1971) (c)
Tune: Das neugeborne Kindelein, Surrey
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/d/d035.html

Dear Lord, we long to see your face,
to know you risen from the grave,
but we have missed the joy and grace
of seeing you, as others have;
yet in your company we'll wait,
and we shall see you, soon or late.

Dear Friend, we do not know the way,
nor clearly see the path ahead;
so often, therefore, we delay
and doubt your power to raise the dead;
yet we with you will firmly stay--
you are the truth, the life, the way.

We find it hard, Lord, to believe.
Long habit makes us want to prove:
to see, to touch, and thus perceive
the truth and person whom we love;
yet when in fellowship we meet,
you come yourself, each one to greet.

You come to us, our God, our Lord.
You do not show your hands and side,
but give, instead, your best reward
as in your promise we abide.
By faith we know and grow and wait
to see and praise you, soon or late.

God of glory, we praise you for your presence in our
lives, and for all goodness that you shower upon your
children in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you for
     promises kept and hope for tomorrow...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the enjoyment of friends...
     the wonders of your creation...
     love from our parents, our sisters and brothers,
     our spouses, lovers, and children...
     pleasures of living...

God of grace, we are one with all your children, for we
are sisters and brothers of Jesus Christ, and we offer
our prayers for all whom we love. Especially we pray for
     those we too often forget...
                (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     people who have lost hope...
     victims of tragedy and disaster...
     those who suffer mental anguish...
     ecumenical councils and church agencies...
     the Diocese of Birmingham, England...

Almighty and everlasting God,
mercifully look upon our infirmities,
and in all our dangers and necessities
stretch forth your right hand to help and defend us;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Christ give us grace to grow in holiness,
to deny ourselves,
take up our cross, and follow him. Amen.

prayers in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster
/ John Knox Press.

Hymn (c) 1991 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn in all territories except the UK, contact:
Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
In the UK: contact Revd. Mary J. Hancock, 55 Huntspill Street, London
SW17 0AA England

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox
Press.