OREMUS: 3 March 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Mar 2 23:32:46 GMT 2006

OREMUS for March 3, 2006
John and Charles Wesley, Evangelists, Hymn Writers, 1791 and 1788

Blessed are you, God of compassion and mercy,
to you be praise and glory for ever.
In the darkness of our sin,
your light breaks forth like the dawn
and your healing springs up for deliverance.
As we rejoice in the gift of your saving help,
sustain us with your bountiful Spirit
and open our lips to sing your praise:

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 119:41-64

Let your loving-kindness come to me, O Lord,*
 and your salvation, according to your promise.
Then shall I have a word for those who taunt me,*
 because I trust in your words.
Do not take the word of truth out of my mouth,*
 for my hope is in your judgements.
I shall continue to keep your law;*
 I shall keep it for ever and ever.
I will walk at liberty,*
 because I study your commandments.
I will tell of your decrees before kings*
 and will not be ashamed.
I delight in your commandments,*
 which I have always loved.
I will lift up my hands to your commandments,*
 and I will meditate on your statutes.

Psalm 119:49-56

Remember your word to your servant,*
 because you have given me hope.
This is my comfort in my trouble,*
 that your promise gives me life.
The proud have derided me cruelly,*
 but I have not turned from your law.
When I remember your judgements of old,*
 O Lord, I take great comfort.
I am filled with a burning rage,*
 because of the wicked who forsake your law.
Your statutes have been like songs to me*
 wherever I have lived as a stranger.
I remember your name in the night, O Lord,*
 and dwell upon your law.
This is how it has been with me,*
 because I have kept your commandments.

You only are my portion, O Lord;*
 I have promised to keep your words.
I entreat you with all my heart,*
 be merciful to me according to your promise.

I have considered my ways*
 and turned my feet towards your decrees.
I hasten and do not tarry*
 to keep your commandments.
Though the cords of the wicked entangle me,*
 I do not forget your law.
At midnight I will rise to give you thanks,*
 because of your righteous judgements.
I am a companion of all who fear you*
 and of those who keep your commandments.
The earth, O Lord, is full of your love;*
 instruct me in your statutes.

A Song of Christ the Servant (1 Peter 2.21b-25

Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example,
that you should follow in his steps.

He committed no sin, no guile was found on his lips,
when he was reviled, he did not revile in turn.

When he suffered, he did not threaten,
but he trusted himself to God who judges justly.

Christ himself bore our sins in his body on the tree,
that we might die to sin and live to righteousness.

By his wounds, you have been healed,
for you were straying like sheep,
but have now returned
cato the shepherd and guardian of your souls.

READING [Daniel 10:2-19]:

At that time I, Daniel, had been mourning for three
weeks. I had eaten no rich food, no meat or wine had
entered my mouth, and I had not anointed myself at all,
for the full three weeks. On the twenty-fourth day of the
first month, as I was standing on the bank of the great
river (that is, the Tigris), I looked up and saw a man
clothed in linen, with a belt of gold from Uphaz around
his waist. His body was like beryl, his face like
lightning, his eyes like flaming torches, his arms and
legs like the gleam of burnished bronze, and the sound of
his words like the roar of a multitude. I, Daniel, alone
saw the vision; the people who were with me did not see
the vision, though a great trembling fell upon them, and
they fled and hid themselves. So I was left alone to see
this great vision. My strength left me, and my complexion
grew deathly pale, and I retained no strength. Then I
heard the sound of his words; and when I heard the sound
of his words, I fell into a trance, face to the
ground.
But then a hand touched me and roused me to my hands and
knees. He said to me, 'Daniel, greatly beloved, pay
attention to the words that I am going to speak to you.
Stand on your feet, for I have now been sent to you.' So
while he was speaking this word to me, I stood up
trembling. He said to me, 'Do not fear, Daniel, for from
the first day that you set your mind to gain
understanding and to humble yourself before your God,
your words have been heard, and I have come because of
your words. But the prince of the kingdom of Persia
opposed me for twenty-one days. So Michael, one of the
chief princes, came to help me, and I left him there with
the prince of the kingdom of Persia, and have come to
help you understand what is to happen to your people at
the end of days. For there is a further vision for those
days.'
While he was speaking these words to me, I turned my face
towards the ground and was speechless. Then one in human
form touched my lips, and I opened my mouth to speak, and
said to the one who stood before me, 'My lord, because of
the vision such pains have come upon me that I retain no
strength. How can my lord's servant talk with my lord?
For I am shaking, no strength remains in me, and no
breath is left in me.'
Again one in human form touched me and strengthened me.
He said, 'Do not fear, greatly beloved, you are safe. Be
strong and courageous!' When he spoke to me, I was
strengthened and said, 'Let my lord speak, for you have
strengthened me.'

For another Biblical reading,
2 Peter 3:14-18

HYMN
Words: John and Charles Wesley, 1745
Tune: Das neugeborne Kindelein
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o624.html

O thou, before the world began,
ordained a sacrifice for man,
and by the eternal Spirit made
an offering in the sinner's stead;
our everlasting Priest art thou,
pleading thy death for sinners now.

Thy offering still continues new
before the righteous Father's view;
thyself the Lamb forever slain;
thy priesthood doth unchanged remain;
thy years, O God, can never fail,
nor thy blest work within the veil.

O that our faith may never move,
but stand unshaken as thy love,
sure evidence of things unseen;
now let it pass the years between
and view thee bleeding on the tree:
my Lord, my God, who dies for me.

Merciful God, we praise you that you give strength for
every weakness, forgiveness for our failures, and new
beginnings in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you for
     the guidance of your Spirit through this day...
                                (We thank you, Lord.)
     signs of new life and hope...
     people who have helped us...
     those who struggle for justice...
     expressions of love unexpected or undeserved...

Almighty God, you know all needs before we speak our
prayers, yet you welcome our concerns for others in Jesus
Christ. Especially we pray for
     those who keep watch over the sick and dying...
                                (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     those who weep with the grieving...
     those who are without faith
     and cannot accept your love...
     those who grow old...
     Reformed, Presbyterian, and Lutheran churches...
     the Diocese of Bida, Nigeria, The Rt Revd Jonah Kolo, Bishop...

Support us, O Lord, with your gracious favor
through the fast we have begun;
that as we observe it by bodily self-denial,
so we may fulfill it with inner sincerity of heart;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Lord God,
you inspired your servants John and Charles Wesley
with burning zeal for the sanctification of souls,
and endowed them with eloquence in speech and song:
Kindle in your Church, we entreat you, such fervor,
that those whose faith has cooled may be warmed,
and those who have not known Christ
may turn to him and be saved;
through him who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,

Christ give us grace to grow in holiness,
to deny ourselves,
take up our cross, and follow him. Amen.

prayers in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster
/ John Knox Press.

The collects are from _The Proper for the Lesser Feasts and

Born at Epworth Rectory in Lincolnshire, John Wesley was the son of an
Anglican clergyman and a Puritan mother. He entered Holy Orders and,
following a religious experience on this day in 1738, began an itinerant ministry
which recognised no parish boundaries. This resulted, after his death, in the
development of a world-wide Methodist Church. His spirituality involved an
Arminian affirmation of grace, frequent communion and a disciplined corporate
search for holiness. His open-air preaching, concern for education and for the
poor, liturgical revision, organisation of local societies and training of
preachers provided a firm basis for Christian growth and mission in England.

Charles shared with his brother John the building up of early Methodist
societies, as they travelled the country. His special concern was that early
Methodists should remain loyal to Anglicanism. He married and settled in
Bristol, later in London, concentrating his work on the local Christian
communities. His thousands of hymns established a resource of lyrical piety
which has enabled generations of Christians to re-discover the refining power
of God's love. They celebrate God's work of grace from birth to death, the
great events of God's work of salvation and the rich themes of eucharistic
worship, anticipating the taking up of humanity into the divine life.
John died in 1791 and Charles in 1788. [Exciting Holiness]